Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Talking Buffalo Creek / Wool Weenies!

To disable ads, please log-in.

First of all - Estes Park Wool Market! This looks so cool! Just a public service announcement for any other local wool weenies.

But secondly - I think it would be fun to have a casual, slower-paced mountain bike meet up at Buffalo Creek & then maybe grab some food. Anyone interested? I don't do technical and I get kind of skittish with fast downhills, but I love it out there and I think it would be more fun to ride with people! I'd be happy to ride the forest service roads or singletrack depending on interest/skill level. Let me know if anyone is interested & I'll start putting something together!

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

I'd be interested in a group ride. Have you ridden Buffalo Creek in the last year? I just read some reviews on that single track and lots of people commented on how much sand there was.
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB
    Updated Vintage Terry Symmetry / Bontrager InForm RL WSD

It's my favorite place to ride, though I don't get a whole lot of variety in on the trail choices. I was out last weekend for the first time since last fall.

Colorado Trail from the pay parking lot is less sandy and more shaded, but where there are trees there are roots. Still nothing I would consider technical. I usually do Sandy Wash to Homestead out of the free lot in Buff Creek and it is definitely...sandy. BUT, I don't find it too over-the-top if I lower my tire pressure a little. There aren't a lot of sharp turns to send you over the trail and very few steep downhills (especially without an immediate rise on the opposite side) so I don't find it as scary as lots of sand could be. I was able to stop every time I wanted to. Climbing gets a little energy-sucking but maybe I'm just out of shape

It's the energy-sucking part about sand that gets me. It always feels like I'm riding through a vat of pudding.

I haven't minded roots on the trails that I normally ride. I'd be surprised if the roots at Buffalo Creek are much different, but I've been surprised before.

"Steep", straight, downhills don't bother me too much but I guess "steep" is relative. Really steep uphills make me more nervous than downhills.

I've been known to cheerfully walk trail sections that make me nervous. I just don't like holding up other people that I'm riding with if/when I walk.
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB

Oh, I'll gladly walk just about anything now Mostly downhill, but sometimes I get stuck on these short uphills. We'll have to figure out a time to get out there. Hopefully we can get a few more to join in!

I have a friend who would love to join us. She's a fitness trainer and triathlete so she's a super strong rider but has a lot to learn about mtn biking. She just picked up her mtn bike last Saturday. I think she's hit the trails every day since!

I should clarify about the sand. It's the super fine stuff that's several inches deep that goes on for miles that I really don't like. I've given up riding Greenland because the horses have turned most of the trails into fine, deep, sand. There are some areas at Ridgeline that people call sandy but those areas have only a shallow layer of coarse sand or fine gravel. I don't mind riding through that.
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB

Thats what this stuff is - I think of it more as kitty litter than beachy sand.

Now I just need to find free time to make this work I just booked a trip to Bozeman for work so my best weekend just disappeared. I'll have to think about it a little more when I'm not sick (ANOTHER cold, blech).

Went there with DH today. I like riding there because there is quite a bit of variety. We got in about 18 miles which for me is not too bad considering it is my first time out on a bike since last year ( not including my short commute to/from work). The sandy areas were not too bad. My legs are sure out of shape for some of the climbs though.

Eighteen miles with climbs for your first ride of the season is pretty impressive. Are you going to try to join us on the group ride?
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB

Quote Originally Posted by Artista View Post
    Eighteen miles with climbs for your first ride of the season is pretty impressive. Are you going to try to join us on the group ride?
    I was thinking about it....although I am not the fastest rider and I have a not so fun back that bothers me often so I sometimes have to slow down ( if that is even possible ) or walk to stretch it out. I also have to walk some of the more "technical" spots. I wouldn't want to hold any of you guys up.

We rode there today ( took a much needed day off from work) and we got in a little over 20 miles. There was a fair amount of climbing involved and for whatever reason the deeper sandy areas were hard for me today. Most of the trails were great and fun.

Yeah you don't sound like you'd be holding me up at all. My climbing isn't so great and I'm right there with ya on the technical stuff.

But between two running races and work trips for the next two weekends (not this weekend) I'm kinda stuck for right now. Anyone interested in Sunday, July 1 or 8?

It sounds like the 3 of us are pretty well matched. None of us think that we ride uphill very fast and we're all good with walking technical stuff that makes us nervous. I sure wouldn't mind waiting for anyone on the off chance that I was faster at anything. I've had the good fortune to meet both of you and I'm guessing that you two would feel the same way. Let's just go have fun

July 1 works for me but July 8 does not.
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB

Let me check with DH to make sure there is nothing planned that I am not aware of. Which trails and what mileage are you two thinking? We rode the CT which was pretty fun, the Morrison Creek Trail was fun...we took both up and down. I thought going up was going to be tougher then it was..I had to walk one small section.

I'll defer to you and Jess on the trail selection since I've never been there. I also don't know about mileage since we usually track our mtn bike rides by time. I think that I'd be hard pressed to spend more than 3 hours in the saddle depending on the climbs, sand and heat. Three hours in the saddle would equate to a longer outing depending on our stops. I'd be good with a shorter ride, too, particularly if it's blazing hot.
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB

I agree about the heat...I don't do too well once it starts to get hot. DH and I when we ride usually get a fairly early start to beat the heat.