Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Considering Arkel Trailrider Expedition

To disable ads, please log-in.

Any helpful advice?

I have the tailrider - not the expedition.
    Arkel stuff is very very well made. It's been waterproof for me when I've needed it to be. the zippers are stiff, but that's to keep it water resistant.
    It's a lot smaller than you are expecting - until you use it then you realize the interior is magically larger than the exterior.
    Mine looks new and has been beaten up pretty good.
    I guess it's magic.
    Expensive, but I guess worth it. Honestly mostly for the looks and things. I sold a set of Nashbar tail bag/panniers when I got it - they were a lot cheaper and really did the same thing. It is worth the money - but is it? The tailrider looks better, has a smaller form factor, is supposedly more aerodynamic, lighter empty... but it's a lot more money.
    My photoblog
    http://dragons-fly-peacefully.blogspot.com/
    Bacchetta Giro (recumbent commuter)
    Bacchetta Corsa (recumbent "fast" bike)
    Greespeed X3 (recumbent "just for fun" trike)
    Strada Velomobile
    I will never buy another bike!

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I don't have a tailrider but I do have Arkel panniers and a pannier briefcase. They are very well designed and made. I have a regular trunk bag (i don't recall the brand) but it's clunky and design matters to me. Tailrider is on my list.

I also really like that Arkel makes their products in Canada.

Thanks

Yes, they make their bags in Sherbrooke and I grew up in Montreal. Since I am starting to commute to work and since I will never go on any long multi-day bike trips I figure this pack will meet any and all future needs. Every review I can find admires the quality. I'm definitely getting closer to pulling the trigger on this. Thanks for your assistance.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Quote Originally Posted by SueMargaret View Post
    Yes, they make their bags in Sherbrooke and I grew up in Montreal. Since I am starting to commute to work and since I will never go on any long multi-day bike trips I figure this pack will meet any and all future needs. Every review I can find admires the quality. I'm definitely getting closer to pulling the trigger on this. Thanks for your assistance.
    They have a retail store. Maybe even an outlet store...if I lived within a day's drive, I'd certainly make the trip...just saying'.

Driving right past in about three weeks to visit my parents in Ontario. I live in Maine now. It is beckoning to me, I admit.

Got it...and I love it!

My first commute is tomorrow morning. I'm still trying to figure out the clean up before starting work. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Madone 3.1 WSD 2011
    Jamis Coda 1997

Love my bikes

I have the Tailrider, not the Expedition. I love my Tailrider and look forward to learning what you think of the Expedition. The Expedition is pricey (well, so is the plain Tailrider), but the quality and design is probably worth it. Do let us know how this works for you over time. At some unknown future time I want a dedicated commuter and will consider something like the Expedition at that time. The Tailrider's magic expansion ability never ceases to amaze me.

As far as cleaning up before work I have a container of wet wipes in my office and keep deodorant and I bring in a change of clothes/undies earlier in the week so I don't have to carry them. I don't have panniers anyway so there isn't a choice - and I am not going to purchase more bike stuff since I only bike commute once a week right now as it is (and my seat-post mounted rack is limited to what it can carry). I've a 10-14 mile commute depending on route, but it is down-hill pretty much all the way for the morning commute. It is dark when I ride out the front door so I don't break much of a sweat and am in the big chain most of the way. Going home, depending on my route, is a different story - but THAT direction doesn't matter

My hair is quite short and since I am not focusing on intensity on my way in I don't have a problem with "helmet hair". I have to say that this has been a surprise, I figured an hour ride would cause some problem with my hair but it hasn't. Perhaps because I don't use spray or other products? Unsure, but there it is.

Congratulations again and let us know how your commute goes!
    Last edited by Catrin; 06-18-2012 at 03:00 AM.

Smile It was great!

First of all I have to say that the Arkel Tailrider Expedition rocks! I took a weeks worth of clothes, work shoes and toiletries along with lunch and regular stuff with no problem whatsoever. The drop down panniers are completely waterproof, incredibly easy to use and caused no heel clip at all. When I got to work I just unclipped them from the bag and the clipped together sides(I'm not sure how else to describe them) form an easy handle. I left my lunch in the insulated main pack with an ice pack and it was perfect. I left all that stuff at the office, rolled the panniers up and stuffed them into the side pockets. Brilliant! Expensive? you bet. But the sheer design genius is awe-inspiring. (No, they are not paying me).
    My ride is 8 miles one way. It was lovely. I pass a golf course with a view of Maine's coastal mountains (well, hills) all lovely and green. Rain did threaten but did not manifest. I took the long way home -- an extra three miles that way. Maine in the summer...well, it's magic. As long as you keep going fast enough to stay one step ahead of the black flys. My Jamis (the commuter bike) needs some brake work since a front wheel brake was rubbing on this trip. But...all I hoped for? Yes!
    Madone 3.1 WSD 2011
    Jamis Coda 1997

Love my bikes

I really hope Arkel will make the pannier pieces available for separate purchase for those of us who already bought the tailrider. Those would be handy!

I'll call and ask - when my budget would allow me to purchase
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
    I really hope Arkel will make the pannier pieces available for separate purchase for those of us who already bought the tailrider. Those would be handy!

I'll call and ask - when my budget would allow me to purchase
    Good idea Blueberry, perhaps they will allow us to do that. We already have the Tailrider, after all. I would only be concerned about attaching the new parts securely enough...but do post what you find here whenever you contact them. I dare not for now, even for informational purposes.