Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Netflix

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

Netflix

To disable ads, please log-in.

Am curious: Are there alot more choices to see for movies when one becomes a paying customer? Or maybe Netflix has certain niche audience markets.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know whatís in a personís heart.

Is there even a free option after the month trial?

Streaming new releases, old classics, TV series, documentaries....plus blu-ray discs and more stuff that isn't available to stream. I find the selection is expanding all the time. Our tastes run to the slightly esoteric and non-Hollywood productions, and there's tons to choose from. When we were out of town I compared it to redbox which seems like nothing but B-grade Hollywood stuff.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

As far as DVD delivery is concerned, I don't think I've found a movie that wasn't available. But I just have streaming now.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Dvd's for me on Netflix. The streaming selection is not as good as the dvd collection. Until the film industry changes its mind, it will stay that way. Dropped streaming because of the lack of availability of the films I wanted to see.

We have dropped DVD delivery and just use streaming now. We hardly ever watch a movie on it, although I do have Lincoln Lawyer in queu. We watch tv series we missed first time around, expecially ones from BBC. I read recently that Netflix was focusing more on increasing their tv series selection because of popularity of and demand for that rather than movies. We have used it to watch Doc Martin, Wire in the Blood, Sherlock, The Unusuals, Midsummer Night Murder, Inspector Lewis, Being Human, Luther, and more I can't think of now. If we really want to see a recently released movie, we get it on demand through our cable provider.

Grits

2010 Trek 5.2 Madone WSD, SI Diva Gel Flow
    2002 Terry Classic, Terry Liberator

We have the cheapest, I mean cheapest Netflix plan around. We get 2 DVDs a month. They don't advertise it, and I am not even sure they still offer it. We mostly get independent and foreign films. The choice is endless. This is perfect for us as we go to bed too early most nights to watch movies and are too busy the rest of the time.
    We gave up our cable, but even when we had it, we never used the On Demand feature. The free movies were mostly crappy ones.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I'm with Grits, I use it to watch a lot of BBC TV (I love MI-5 right now). There are still lots of steaming movies I like and tons of documentaries which I love. The few movies (mostly newer ones) that aren't streaming are available by DVD. The biggest problem for us is choosing what we want to watch because there are so many options.
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    2003 Cannondale Bad Boy
    Motobecane Nobly (60's or 70's)

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    We gave up our cable, but even when we had it, we never used the On Demand feature. The free movies were mostly crappy ones.
    Yes, I agree with you there. I guess it is pay per view that we use to watch newer movies? Cost something like $4.99. We don't use it much, but it is cheaper than going to the movie theater for something that we want to see. Of course, there are a few movies that we do splurge to go see at the theater- the Hunger Games most recently.

Grits

2010 Trek 5.2 Madone WSD, SI Diva Gel Flow
    2002 Terry Classic, Terry Liberator

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    Am curious: Are there alot more choices to see for movies when one becomes a paying customer? Or maybe Netflix has certain niche audience markets.
    It depends on what you want to watch. Their selection is expanding all of the time but there are movies and series that are only available on DVD, it has to do with the permission they get from the copyright holder rather than any choice of Netflix.

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    Is there even a free option after the month trial?

Streaming new releases, old classics, TV series, documentaries....plus blu-ray discs and more stuff that isn't available to stream. I find the selection is expanding all the time. Our tastes run to the slightly esoteric and non-Hollywood productions, and there's tons to choose from. When we were out of town I compared it to redbox which seems like nothing but B-grade Hollywood stuff.
    I've never seen a free option outside of the month trial. I opted for the streaming option when they ended the streaming + DVD for less than $10 a few months back and haven't regretted that choice. I stream straight to my television and I've no problem finding things I enjoy watching, I guess it depends what our tastes are. I watch older series that I like, and have found some pretty good British series I never knew existed. I rarely watch actual movies - but I have quite a few in my que for when I've time/desire to watch one. Right now I seem to be reading more than watching.

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    Why not see what they have available here? To my knowledge, that search is the same as what a subscriber would see.

Or do you mean Hulu? They definitely have more on their pay site (or at least it appears that way, based upon all the stuff I see that says it would be available if I paid).
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
    Why not see what they have available here? To my knowledge, that search is the same as what a subscriber would see.

Or do you mean Hulu? They definitely have more on their pay site (or at least it appears that way, based upon all the stuff I see that says it would be available if I paid).
    I just looked at the browse selection page on Netflix without signing in, and they had very, very little there. They have many times that available but apparently you must sign up to see it. It's been years since my free trial so I don't know what is available there - but I would imagine it would be their entire catalog in order to encourage you to continue - but I don't know that.

I don't like Hulu because I don't like the commercials, even the paid account has commercials.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I just looked at the browse selection page on Netflix without signing in, and they had very, very little there. They have many times that available but apparently you must sign up to see it. It's been years since my free trial so I don't know what is available there - but I would imagine it would be their entire catalog in order to encourage you to continue - but I don't know that.

I don't like Hulu because I don't like the commercials, even the paid account has commercials.
    It's coming up to a different page for me now - wonder why? My Netflix account has been on permanent hold for a long time now. So, I don't think it's a long on issue. Odd.

I refuse to pay for television. Hence why I haven't re-upped with Netflix. They raised their rates, I went on hold. May just kill the account. Don't have cable and haven't since it was included in my rent back in college. I just have other things I prefer to spend my funds on.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
    It's coming up to a different page for me now - wonder why? My Netflix account has been on permanent hold for a long time now. So, I don't think it's a long on issue. Odd.

I refuse to pay for television. Hence why I haven't re-upped with Netflix. They raised their rates, I went on hold. May just kill the account. Don't have cable and haven't since it was included in my rent back in college. I just have other things I prefer to spend my funds on.
    Your original link wouldn't work for some reason, I just want to the main page and hit the "browse selection" at the bottom. It looks like the same link so don't know why your link isn't working. I wouldn't pay the double cost to get both streaming and DVDs, but the $9 charge to stream to my television is worth it to me. I've interference in my area so I can only get a couple of the broadcast channels and I like so very little of what they have these days, this way I can watch exactly what I want.

I've been using Netflix since 2006. When they split last year to DVDs and streaming (instead of including streaming for free), I dropped the DVDs. I can always find stuff I want to watch on streaming and new stuff is added all the time. If your thing is new releases though, you'll probably be disappointed. I do go to the movies a lot though - about once a week or every other week on my afternoons off. I don't have cable and I don't think I ever will again. I did have over the air TV for a while, but I moved my TV into my bedroom and can't get a signal in there. Don't miss it at all.

What is available on Netflix in Canada may not be the same as what is available in the US.

I moved to Alberta before Netflix (US) launched streaming, and returned just as Netflix was launching in Canada. Netflix wouldn't send DVD's to Canada so I put my account on hold while we were up there.

Came back to this wonderful streaming technology just as last summer's uproar over the division of streaming/DVD service fees got going! My Netflix US account wouldn't stream if I was in Canada, for the period when I was traveling back and forth a lot. I would imagine that I would have to set up a Canadian Netflix account to get the service up there.

Love the DVD service for older and indie titles ... streaming titles are getting better all the time, and it's great for older TV shows.
    2014 Bobbin Bramble / Brooks B67
    2008 Rodriguez Rainier Mirage / Terry Butterfly Tri Gel
    2007 Dahon Speed Pro TT / Biologic Velvet
    1998? GT Rebound / Serfas Gel