Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Finger Numbness

Finger Numbness

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have issues with my fingers going numb while riding. I have changed my hand positions while riding. I have a new bike with bar ends and have started uses those. I have also made a conscious effort to keep my elbows bent so that I don't put too much pressure on my hands. However I still have my fingers going numb. When I am off the bike after a minute or two the numbness passes. What causes this? Any suggestions?

Are you wearing gloves? Sometimes they can help.

Have you had a bike fit done on the new bike? Sometimes too much pressure on the hands can cause issues like you describe. Did you have this issue on another bike?
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

I had a similar issue and here's what's helped me:

The two most important changes were to move my seat back about a 1/2 inch, as I was too far forward and putting my weight on my hands, and work on my posture.

I now focus a lot on my posture while riding, which is annoying to always pay attention to, but it's the only thing that's helped, and it's becoming more natural, and I am now doing core muscle work off the bike. I think this has made the biggest difference for me. When I don't pull, for lack of a better way of saying it, my belly back into spine, everything goes wrong: sore lower back, sore lady bits, tight neck and shoulders, and numb hands. The better I get at my posture, the better I feel on the bike and when I'm done. I did 50 miles yesterday, and did not have my fingers/hands go numb once, When they did start to tingle, I just refocused on my posture and moved hand position, and no problems.

I also changed my gloves. I have normal women's hands, but fat fingers, and women's gloves were cutting off the circulation. Bought a pair of small men's gloves and that helped a lot. Also, I found I like gloves with not a lot of padding. Too much padding wasn't helping.

Hope this helps. I'm still a newbie and learning. The hand thing was making me nuts my first few rides, so I hope you can find a solution.
    2013 Kirk Frameworks JK Special/Selle Anatomica
    2012 Gunnar Sport/Brooks B17
    2001 Calfee Tetra Pro/Selle Anatomica
    1984 Raleigh Sport/Brooks B66

Blueberry and Murielalex, thanks so much for the response. I do wear gloves and did have a bike fitting. I just got in from a ride and did a bit better. I do wear gloves and will evaluate whether they are too tight. Oddly I noticed that when my fingers get numb if I rub then over my bike shorts the friction eliminates the numbness.

I have a weak core and know I need to work on this. What kind of core exercises are you doing? I will be taking my bike in for a 30 day check in a couple of weeks. I will pay attention to posture and position between now and then and may ask about these changes when having the fitting checked.

It was a great day for riding although I definitely have a love hate relationship with the wind!

I'm inclined to think that might be a glove issue. Sometimes it's a too tight issue, sometimes it's a too much or too little padding issue. I have to have some padding, but too much gel is worse than no padding for me.

For core work, I don't think you can beat Pilates. I notice marked improvement when I'm more regular with my work.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Probably what has already been suggested are the best, but... your comment about keeping your elbows bent caught me. I have ulnar nerve entrapment in m elbow - the equivalent of carpal tunnel, except up in the elbow instead of down in the wrist - so bending my elbows can cause my fingers to go numb. To tell the difference - generally if it the numb fingers stem from the elbow, the fingers will go numb from the pinky inwards. I gather that carpel tunnel goes the other direction, with the thumb going numb then the index finger and so on.
    Just a thought.
    (Oh, and it's annoying and can ruin dexterity, but it ins't pathological).
    My photoblog
    http://dragons-fly-peacefully.blogspot.com/
    Bacchetta Giro (recumbent commuter)
    Bacchetta Corsa (recumbent "fast" bike)
    Greespeed X3 (recumbent "just for fun" trike)
    Strada Velomobile
    I will never buy another bike!

Rode on Monday. I didn't wear gives which didn't make any difference. I did pay attention to where the numbness starts and it is from my index finger back. I will keep playing with different things until I figure out what works best. Thanks for the great advice!