Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $ I need ideas

$ I need ideas

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am a minimalist (sp?). I recently had a monumental birthday in which I received monetary gifts. I was told to "do something nice for myself".

I have a custom made steel bike, bibs that I like, jerseys that are functional and perfectly good, shoes that work, helmet that is safe and comfortable, bags that work for my commuting and touring purposes. So..... if you had to spend $400 on a "luxury" item for cycling, what would it be?

What is the one thing that you don't need, but that would bring joy to your cycling lifestyle? A true functional luxury item?

Thanks for your ideas. I really would prefer to just stick it in the bank.

The stick in the bank would be my preferred option as well.

Bank! Don't spend it just to spend it. Maybe you will want another bike someday. That would be a good chunk of change towards it!
    Happy Belated Birthday!

Or, if you like touring, are there any big trips you are planning?

Assuming you don't want to bank the money, what about one of those Garmin Cycling GPS's?

A nice little bike trip.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

I vote for the bank. One day, you'll see something you want that you don't even know about yet, and there the money will be waiting for you. Of course, the Garmin would be nice. I like my Garmin 500, though admit I will never use all its features.

Happy birthday!
    2013 Kirk Frameworks JK Special/Selle Anatomica
    2012 Gunnar Sport/Brooks B17
    2001 Calfee Tetra Pro/Selle Anatomica
    1984 Raleigh Sport/Brooks B66

Bank!
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by jyyanks View Post
    Assuming you don't want to bank the money, what about one of those Garmin Cycling GPS's?
    My idea, too. Also Powermeter if you are into racing.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    we must all be conservative here- because I vote for the bank, too. There will be something that comes along in the near/far future that you will just LOVE and want- and then you'll have the money for it.
    Better yet, don't put it with your other money that is in your regular checking account. Maybe open a special savings account just for that money so it doesn't get spent along with your regular income.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Will the person who gave you the money know how you spent it? If so, I don't think banking it will make them very happy.

I vote Garmin. But then I'm the one who could get lost on a football field. I'd still be out there someplace if it weren't for my Garmin.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    I vote Garmin. But then I'm the one who could get lost on a football field. I'd still be out there someplace if it weren't for my Garmin.
    We must have been separated at birth!

You said you'd prefer to stick it in the bank, so do that. Then wait for a great sale.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Put it in a special bike savings account, that way it doesn't get mixed with other funds and you can add to it until you see something that you just...must...have, whether it be a new bike or accessories/repair for your current bike.

I agree with Oak - banking it isn't in the spirit of the gift giver. My parents a couple of years ago gave me some money with the stipulation that it had to be spent and the spending had to be frivolous... it was actually kind of fun.

I'd think about something you have that is functional, but not super. Get yourself some really nice panniers from a place like Swift Industries where you can customize them to the colors and features that you want - or maybe a nice set of hand built custom wheels for your ride.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

If I had to spend money on cycling right now, I'd consider a new helmet, some new MTB tires, or some new sports bras- all things that eventually wear out and all contribute to my cycling enjoyment. I might register for one of the gran fondo rides that look like so much fun, but are more than I'd normally spend on an organized ride.

I like the suggestions of a Garmin or another wheelset too.

I vote for the bike account.

I have a special account for my "adventure bike" this is probably going to be a Surly that I can ride on dirt, gravel and pavement.

One of my friends is rebuilding her Santa Cruz - the bike fits her so well she refuses to buy a new one. Having a bike account has helped as she is going to be at least $1600 into the rebuild.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com