Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

The most important thing I've learnt

To disable ads, please log-in.

When it comes to cycling, the most important thing I've learnt apart from riding a bike that fits is to invest in good tyres. I won't go into the story that reminded me of this fact and prompted me to post this, but what's at the top of your list?

It's tough to choose just one.
    The most important is to share the joy of cycling.
    But the important practical tip is to learn how to take the lane, get comfortable doing it, and then do it naturally and all the time.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Quote Originally Posted by Melalvai View Post
    It's tough to choose just one.
    The most important is to share the joy of cycling.
    I like that. How very true.

respect the rules of the road, even if other bikers and drivers don't. Stay aware, alert and courteous. Check that your bike is in good condition before and after every ride. Clean your tires and brakes often, and clean and lube the chain as well. Take care of your bike as if it were an expensive car. It will ride better and serve you longer. Never forget that if you accept the right to ride on the road, you also accept the responsibility as well as the risk of being there. Accident are not planned, they just happen, that's why they arecalled accidents. If you are lucky, your survive. Learn the lesson, thank the fates and move on.

I could go on and on but you get the idea. Respect yourself and respect anyone else who is on the road.
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

The most important thing I've learned is that I always feel better after a ride.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

To chill! The reason I ride is to lower by blood pressure.
    this morning, I got so angry with a light that I honked my horn and raised my arms and yelled at it! Several cars stopped and looked at me like WTH!? and I realized, that I needed to chill.
    The next light, a car rolled in front of the bike trail so I couldn't get across. I remembered my stupid tirade from moments before and just settled down to wait.. he saw me, smiled and backed up 2 ft so I could get by. I smiled back, waved.... all was so much better when you chill.
    I often have these realizations, I do something stupid in the bike or car and it just keeps getting worse.
    Ride to relax, even if it's a hard ride.
    My photoblog
    http://dragons-fly-peacefully.blogspot.com/
    Bacchetta Giro (recumbent commuter)
    Bacchetta Corsa (recumbent "fast" bike)
    Greespeed X3 (recumbent "just for fun" trike)
    Strada Velomobile
    I will never buy another bike!

Your first bike won't (and shouldn't) be your last.

Not because you get addicted, though you might. But because you will learn things along the way about what you like, don't like, what fits, what you use it for, etc. And then use that information for your next purchase.

My first bike was a $500 Kona Dew. I spent probably another $400 on gear and customizing. I didn't even a pair of bike shorts or a bell at the time. It felt like a lot of money, and I wasn't really sure what to look for in a bike or how it should feel.

That bike lasted me about 5 years before I started itching for a new one. I just bought a Surly LHT in the last few weeks. I now know enough about riding to know how I like my body positioned, what kind of saddle I like, handlebars and brakes. So, I was way more informed and could make much better decisions about customizing my new bike the way I wanted.

I still don't know much about tires, derailers, or some other mechanical things. I may never, and it may never matter. Right now I'm thrilled with my LHT.

The most important thing I've learned is that while bike riding I am part of the world and not a spectator of it.
    Bike Writer

http://pedaltohealth.blogspot.com/

Schwinn Gateway unknown year
    Specalized Expedition Sport Low-Entry 2011

When I started this thread I was thinking about things of a mechanical nature as I wrote off a new-ish tyre simply by rolling over a bit of plastic while dodging pedestrians who had stepped onto the road. It wasn't a cheap tyre but the side-walls were rubbish. It made me reflect on how my confidence, comfort and speed while riding are affected by this single choice. But as you've pointed out there is so much more to cycling! Much of what has been said reflects my own experience too.

Quote Originally Posted by silversurfer View Post
    When I started this thread I was thinking about things of a mechanical nature as I wrote off a new-ish tyre simply by rolling over a bit of plastic while dodging pedestrians who had stepped onto the road. It wasn't a cheap tyre but the side-walls were rubbish. It made me reflect on how my confidence, comfort and speed while riding are affected by this single choice. But as you've pointed out there is so much more to cycling! Much of what has been said reflects my own experience too.
    Actually "be prepared" is an important somewhat mechanical thing. I stopped once to help a guy with a flat. Asked him what he needed 'I forgot my tire lever'... handed him one... 'I forgot a tube', didn't have one the right size for him - handed him a patch kit (I carry both tubes and a patch kit)... helped him patch the tube. his little pump wasn't working.
    I hate to say this, but at that point I was running very late for work and I told him I forgot mine!
    So, small multi-use tool including tire levers (I've also stopped and helped people make minor adjustments to stuck breaks and the like)
    Tubes
    patch kit.
    Don't leave home without them.

Took me years to believe people about clipless pedals, now I couldn't live without them.
    Good glasses - I use cheap safety glasses, clear and dark

but, I still think a good attitude trumps all
    My photoblog
    http://dragons-fly-peacefully.blogspot.com/
    Bacchetta Giro (recumbent commuter)
    Bacchetta Corsa (recumbent "fast" bike)
    Greespeed X3 (recumbent "just for fun" trike)
    Strada Velomobile
    I will never buy another bike!