Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rock View Post
    In an effort to be more "whole grain", I picked up a whole lot of steel cut oats. I have had them for two days now. They have filled me up unlike the old fashioned oats that I have usually purchased. Is this normal or is my body adjusting?

On the flip side, I have read the Paleo diet thread. So I am beginning to wonder about the whole consumption of grains in general. Ugh. Like any drug, I'm going to have to slowly wean myself from grains in general. This part of my post is meant for another thread. Not meaning to hijack.

Red Rock
    Nothing too weird--I find steel-cut "sticks" better than rolled oats (but I still keep those around for baking).
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

If the oatmeal doesn't bother you why wean yourself off of it?
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

Because I have found that by totally eliminating cereal at breakfast has helped me maintain my weight immensely?!
    Not trying to be flip, but an occasional piece of Ezekial bread toast, or a whole wheat bagel added in to a high protein breakfast has made a world of difference. My normal breakfasts consist of eggs or egg whites, a meat, or fish, or beans. Think outside the box.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Thanks Owlie. Good to know. I have thyroid issues, so I'm wondering if my grain consumption is part of my problem. Not only that, I have noticed some GI issues that might be cleared up by not eating grains. I will just have to experiment. I do not know that I would go hard core. Like Cranking mentioned having some but not all of the time.

Red Rock

For me cutting all grains out of my diet has really helped in many different ways - and I never dreamed that I was sensitive to grains. There wasn't anything obvious, but cutting them out has made a world of difference. That is what worked for me. I certainly get plenty of carbs, just not from grains. I've come to really enjoy veggies with my breakfast and indeed it doesn't seem right without them any more.

Experiment and find what works for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Because I have found that by totally eliminating cereal at breakfast has helped me maintain my weight immensely?!
    Not trying to be flip, but an occasional piece of Ezekial bread toast, or a whole wheat bagel added in to a high protein breakfast has made a world of difference. My normal breakfasts consist of eggs or egg whites, a meat, or fish, or beans. Think outside the box.
    Sure, I can understand that. I do better without grains for breakfast too. I will have oatmeal for supper though.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post

Experiment and find what works for you!
    I have been living my my spouse this summer and he is a vegetarian and eats a lot of grains. So, I have been eating what he eats. I gained weight over the summer, and quite a bit over the last two months when my riding was restricted due to winter weather. I am headed south and will spend most of the winter alone, I will go back to meat eating and more careful calorie counting. (It is hard to count when you aren't the cook). I think I will do better cutting most of the grains.

That said, I have been doing six month cholesterol tests to see where my levels are at since losing weight and mucking around with my diet. I just got a test done. I am up ten pounds and have been eating vegetarian for the last six months. Mostly Indian cooking done by my spouse. Lots of vegetables. Lots of grains. No meat. Almost no eggs. I do drink milk though my spouse does not. I also ate a fair amount of cheese, often with an apple for breakfast. My lipid levels have not been this good in years. My good cholesterol is up 20 points, which is huge.

Humph.

When I was at my lowest weight last spring and was eating hardly any grains and heavier on the meat (though it lower fat meat, eg, I take the skin off of chicken, etc) my levels were much worse.

I guess everyone differs. I still do not want to be at my current weight so I am going back to my prior diet. Probably. I'm still thinking this through.

I may retain having oatmeal for supper.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    Terry Classic

Oatmeal for breakfast

Quote Originally Posted by goldfinch View Post
    I have been living my my spouse this summer and he is a vegetarian and eats a lot of grains. So, I have been eating what he eats. I gained weight over the summer, and quite a bit over the last two months when my riding was restricted due to winter weather. I am headed south and will spend most of the winter alone, I will go back to meat eating and more careful calorie counting. (It is hard to count when you aren't the cook). I think I will do better cutting most of the grains.

That said, I have been doing six month cholesterol tests to see where my levels are at since losing weight and mucking around with my diet. I just got a test done. I am up ten pounds and have been eating vegetarian for the last six months. Mostly Indian cooking done by my spouse. Lots of vegetables. Lots of grains. No meat. Almost no eggs. I do drink milk though my spouse does not. I also ate a fair amount of cheese, often with an apple for breakfast. My lipid levels have not been this good in years. My good cholesterol is up 20 points, which is huge.

Humph.

When I was at my lowest weight last spring and was eating hardly any grains and heavier on the meat (though it lower fat meat, eg, I take the skin off of chicken, etc) my levels were much worse.

I guess everyone differs. I still do not want to be at my current weight so I am going back to my prior diet. Probably. I'm still thinking this through.

I may retain having oatmeal for supper.
    Here's my two cents. I've seen this a lot with vegetarians! Grain, carb heavy maybe heavy in dairy = weight gain and high cholesterol. My sis had this exact kind of health issue. She ate like this for years, and ended up being borderline diabetic and high cholesterol. She add lean protein ( fish, chicken) and cut the bagels, rice and beans and within 6 months shed lost 20 lbs and got her blood sugars under control.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    Here's my two cents. I've seen this a lot with vegetarians! Grain, carb heavy maybe heavy in dairy = weight gain and high cholesterol. My sis had this exact kind of health issue. She ate like this for years, and ended up being borderline diabetic and high cholesterol. She add lean protein ( fish, chicken) and cut the bagels, rice and beans and within 6 months shed lost 20 lbs and got her blood sugars under control.
    Except that isn't what happened with me. I got weight gain but lower bad cholesterol and higher good cholesterol (totals are lower than before) and my blood sugar is great. By all measures except weight gain the vegetarian diet has been good for me. Even my BP is down.
    Last edited by goldfinch; 12-02-2012 at 05:55 PM.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    Terry Classic

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    If a vegetarian didn't have much grains (breads or white rice), plus not much cheese, then not eating meat or hardly any, is still not a horrible thing. In the past, I was always intrigued in visiting vegetarian's homes and have a dish with enough cheesse, milk, eggs, etc. I actually found it abit much..but at that time, I attributed to my palate accustomed to a diet which was less dairy/eggs/cheese/butter Chinese-based.

I only eat lean meat 3-5 times per month. And usually a fistful per helping. Though I eat cheese several times per month, I certainly have skim milk in my cornflakes daily. At this time it's seafood, lean beef or for special occasionas, bison. I haven't eaten any pork nor chicken/any bird in past few months. And I don't miss it.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 12-02-2012 at 07:58 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I consider myself almost vegetarian. I eat meat probably once a week. I try to limit my cheese intake, to something like a cheese stick - string cheese. I don't like fish and chicken is only so-so. I think I eat more grains because I'm not very creative when it comes to meals and it quick. Would love some dinner suggestions. Thanks
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100