Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I too cook oatmeal in a microwave. Oatmeal and water in a bowl cooked at HIGH for 2:30 or 2:40 (that's minutes:seconds). The ratio of oatmeal to water needs to be measured - it is hard to eyeball it. I use oats that are marked "instant".

(My bowl of oatmeal just finished cooking...)
    Laura

oatmel ahead of time

another vote for making up steel cut oats ad or quioa with or without dried fruit ad nuts ahead of time and keeping it in the fridge/ 2 cups of water and 1/2 cup of steel cut oats or quinoa and 1/2 cup mixed dried fruit and or nut makes for days worth.

Cut out a portion, thow in some (coconut) milk nuke for three minutes at 50%, mash aound and eat.

My idea of an instat breakfast!

manri
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

To stave off hunger

I add a scoop of cottage cheese after the oats are done cooking. Mix it up really well, add some pecans & a little sweetener - voila. Non-fat cottage cheese doesn't do it for me - needs to be low fat. Some dried fruits (raisins, cranberries, cherries, whatever) is a nice touch too.

So, you get fiber, protein and fat. Great combination to keep you going until lunch.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

I really like the Trader Joe's quick steel cut oats. 5-7 minutes, dried cranberries or raisins, a little brown sugar, sometimes some toasted pecans and a dollop of milk. I also like fresh fruit sometimes, like berries or fresh peaches. When I know I'm going to do a more energetic ride, I'll throw in a spoonful of nutella.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Quote Originally Posted by azfiddle View Post
    I really like the Trader Joe's quick steel cut oats. 5-7 minutes, dried cranberries or raisins, a little brown sugar, sometimes some toasted pecans and a dollop of milk. I also like fresh fruit sometimes, like berries or fresh peaches. When I know I'm going to do a more energetic ride, I'll throw in a spoonful of nutella.
    Do you microwave it? Sounds yummy!

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Dogmama, about how much cottage cheese do you mix into how much oatmeal? Sounds yummy
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

Quote Originally Posted by surgtech1956 View Post
    Dogmama, about how much cottage cheese do you mix into how much oatmeal? Sounds yummy
    I usually use about 1/2 cup oatmeal (dry) & about 1/2 cup cottage cheese. If you nuke it for a few seconds after you mix it in, the cottage cheese gets really creamy.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Dogmama- no need to microwave the Trader Joe's oatmeal. Just pour 1/4 cup into 3/4 cup boiling water, turn to simmer, make a cup of tea and pack my lunch, and it's ready.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Quote Originally Posted by azfiddle View Post
    Dogmama- no need to microwave the Trader Joe's oatmeal. Just pour 1/4 cup into 3/4 cup boiling water, turn to simmer, make a cup of tea and pack my lunch, and it's ready.
    Thanks!

So, I have to pack your lunch while it's cooking ?

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Thanks Dogmama, so you don't add to already cooked oatmeal. The oatmeal doesn't actually cook or the cottage cheese cooks it? Thanks again for sharing, sounds yummy, going to try it tomorrow.
    Last edited by surgtech1956; 09-05-2012 at 04:51 AM.
    2006 Trek 7100

Quote Originally Posted by surgtech1956 View Post
    Thanks Dogmama, so you don't add to already cooked oatmeal. The oatmeal doesn't actually cook or the cottage cheese cooks it? Thanks again for sharing, sounds yummy, going to try it tomorrow.
    Obviously, I'll never write a recipe book!

Here is what I do. Cook the oatmeal. Add the cottage cheese. Nuke the whole thing again (not necessary if in hurry but nice if you like hot oatmeal.)

Sorry for the misunderstanding!

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Thanks
    2006 Trek 7100

During the warmer months I'll make oatmeal in advance then eat it cold - it tastes like rice pudding. I just made 5 extra servings for my workday breakfasts.
    During the cooler months I'll make individual portion packets (dry ingredients, uncooked) in zip-lock sandwich bags to cook while I'm at work.

* 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
    * about 1/3 or 1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
    * Liberal sprinkling of ground cinnamon (1 TB?)
    * sweetener to choice (3 packets splenda)
    Dump into DEEP bowl (I use a 28-oz Corelle bowl). Add enough water that the cranberries float up. Put into microwave oven with a paperplate underneath and another on top to control spatters/boilovers.
    Nuke 6-1/2 minutes power level 8 (cheap microwave) or 7 (on higher wattage microwave) out of 10.
    Right after cooking, stir in:
    * 6-oz container nonfat yogurt. (plain is OK, vanilla is better)
    Here is where you can choose to eat it or refridgerate it.
    Before eating, sprinkle sliced almonds atop.
    Other options are to add almond extract (just a few drops) or vanilla extract (a few more drops) after cooking.

Dried cranberries do not have near as much flavor; I prefer to stockpile real cranberries in my freezer in November for the rest of the year.
    The yogurt gives it a creamy texture (not gummy) and adds protein. The berries give it additional vitamins and flavor. The almonds also add satiety and texture.

The old fashioned oats have a much better texture and taste than quick oats, in my opinion. I don't care so much for steel-cut oats.
    I could probably make a larger batch on the stovetop or crockpot if I tried.

There is a lot of fiber, plan your morning bikerides accordingly.

I've mixed peanut butter into it with a little sugar and milk.
    Chai spices, toasted almonds and a bit of sugar and milk.
    Dried cherries, toasted almonds or walnuts, a little sugar and milk.

I don't eat it often, because I find that it doesn't "stick"--I'm hungry again in an hour. Perhaps I'll try the yogurt/cottage cheese suggestions.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

In an effort to be more "whole grain", I picked up a whole lot of steel cut oats. I have had them for two days now. They have filled me up unlike the old fashioned oats that I have usually purchased. Is this normal or is my body adjusting?

On the flip side, I have read the Paleo diet thread. So I am beginning to wonder about the whole consumption of grains in general. Ugh. Like any drug, I'm going to have to slowly wean myself from grains in general. This part of my post is meant for another thread. Not meaning to hijack.

Red Rock