Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I use the Quaker old fashioned (not instant) and just heat a 1/4 cup of it with water and raisins in the microwave every morning I want some. It takes two minutes.
    2013: Riding a Dolce sport compact for fun and a vintage Jetter with cargo rack for commuting

www.bike-sby.org: A network of concerned cyclists working to make our city more bicycle friendly.

I eat musli. I either soak them in milk or yogurt the night before or I heat about 3 oz of musli with 8 oz of milk for 3 minutes in the microwave. I let them cool for 30 min (while I drink coffee). Sometimes I add powder protein and it's really tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Oatmeal makes me hungry. Seriously. I eat it 2-3 times a week, but if I don't have some serious protein with it, my stomach is rumbling in an hour. I even put walnuts or almonds in my oatmeal, but that doesn't seem to help.
    Does anyone else have this issue?
    Yup, me too. No digestive issues, it just doesn't work. I'm starving within an hour or two. Hiking I will eat uncooked muesli with generous helpings of milk powder over, and I have to forcefeed myself like a goose for it to last past packing the tent... Add some chocolate however, and we're talking
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Oatmeal makes me hungry. Seriously. I eat it 2-3 times a week, but if I don't have some serious protein with it, my stomach is rumbling in an hour. I even put walnuts or almonds in my oatmeal, but that doesn't seem to help.
    Me too. That's partly why I don't eat it anymore. Honestly, all cereal grains do that to me....Even if I eat until I'm stuffed, an hour later, I want more.

I used to do oatmeal AND eggs in the morning and that seemed to work better for hunger control. Then when I dropped out the oatmeal and realized that the eggs held me just as long without the oats, I was sold.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    Do you do the muesli thing soak it in yoghurt over night?
    Normally I take it to work for my lunch: rolled oats, yoghurt, frozen blueberries, almonds, raisins, sunflower seeds (as available in our house). The frozenness of the blueberries helps me stay out of it until at least 10:00.

Otherwise I just put milk and stuff on it and eat it. I used to do the same with rolled rye, but it made my teeth sensitive. Now that I'm soaking it, I should get some rye again. I really like the taste of it.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

It doesn't take very long to cook in the microwave. I use 1/2 cup of old fashioned oats, some water and cook for 2:10 minutes. Then I add .5 tablespoon of honey when I want it sweet or I will add 2 tablespoons of ground up flaxseed when I want a more nutty flavor (more filling too).

Steel cut takes a lot longer in the microwave.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

I don't know about preparing oats days in advance. It seems like they would get mushy but the idea of undercooking sounds interesting.

Like so many, I too get hungry after about 1 hour of eating oatmeal. I found if I add 1/2 of a chopped apple to the oatmeal, I'm ok for about 2 hours. Not much better.

For breakfast, this feels useless. By mid-morning I want something hearty like beans with chicken and salsa and tortillas. But for lunch, the oatmeal with apples seems to work just fine. My afternoon snack is more normal like fruit with nuts or seeds and its satisfying.

Ha, I was complaining about this to my DH and he says "so go eat something" He eats six times a day and is as skinny as a rail I am not that lucky but I do eat a banana now mid morning on days I eat oatmeal and that gets me through to lunch time.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

I've tried cooking up a batch of oatmeal ahead of time but it's too mushy. Does anyone take eitherbquick or old fashion oats and cook in the microwave?
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

I use my rice cooker. I have a ten cup cooker, but usually only make 2 cooked cups of steel cut oats. I've found that spraying nonstick spray (even though the rice cooker is nonstick) and the small amount keeps it from boiling over. I also use about 50 per cent more water than the recipe calls for (I think soaking overnight somehow requires more water) I set the timer to cook it overnight so it's ready when I wake up. I don't have a porridge setting, I use the brown rice setting. When it's done in the morning I mix in ground flaxseed (I don't like to cook the flaxseed) and whatever else I want to mix in (sometimes a mushed banana, sometimes nuts, etc).

It's too hot in Belize for hot oatmeal in the morning, but boxed cold cereals are really expensive here, so I have taken to eating my oats muesli style. I use regular (non-instant) rolled oats and add some whey protein powder, chopped walnuts, chia seed, cinnamon, and fruit (usually banana, mango, and papaya), then add milk. It's a delicious breakfast and so much more pleasant than eating hot cereal, which makes me sweat like crazy here!

I only regret that it took me so long to think of it.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I cook steel-cut oats in a double boiler. I boil water in a tea kettle first while the water in the bottom of the double boiler is heating, then add the oats and hot water to the top bowl. It takes the same amount of time to cook as doing it directly in a saucepan, but I don't have to worry about burning the porridge.
    ~Jen
    2008 Trek Madone 5.1/compact double/Terry Butterfly
    My family's food and winemaking blog is www.flahertywines.com

I make rolled oats in the microwave. I use milk as the liquid, but if you put too much, it will boil over, so I put in less than I like, then add more at the end. It takes 3 minutes in my microwave.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Back when I still ate oats, I would cook steel-cut oats in advance which worked great but I never tried it with rolled oats. What kind of oats did you try this with?