Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Chicked"

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by nuliajuk View Post
    Every once in a while I'll be stopped at a red light or stop sign on the way home and someone - usually male, but not always - will push past me and plonk their bike down right in front of me. Because of course they're going to be faster than some plump grey-haired lady.
    Trouble is, they frequently aren't. And I have to find a way to pass them in traffic. Luckily, traffic on my present commuting route isn't heavy, but if they're going to get huffy about it, I remind myself that they asked for it. Same as the people who push off the wall at the same time as me in the pool and "race" me... and then shoot me filthy looks for the rest of the swim session because I had the audacity to swim faster than them and then keep going for 10 more lengths while they gasped for breath at the wall after two.
    Moral of the story: never race anyone that your ego can't bear to lose to.
    I love this post. You rock!
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I just found an interesting blog post about being chicked. The author totally had me, aside from her snide comment about anyone who runs >8:50 pace (seriously, lady...?! ).
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Eh, I didn't think it was that snide. Seriously, if a guy runs an 8:50 mile and really believes that he's not going to be passed by women? That's problematic. I liked her article though, especially what she says at the start about the assumption that men are always physically superior. Eyeball Gouge.
    Help me reach my $8,000 goal for the American Lung Association! Riding Seattle to D.C. for clean air! http://larissaridesforcleanair.org
    http://action.lungusa.org/goto/larissapowers

Occasionally when I go to group rides, some guy will race to get ahead of me at the start of the ride. Often I will end up passing him and staying ahead for the rest of the ride. I don't make a point to pass him, I am just faster. If he catches up and passes me, not a problem with me.
    There was this one guy that I remember tho, he started the ride just that way, racing to get on the trail before I did. Sure enough, I pass him & keep ahead. But at every stop & re-group, he pushes ahead of me - only to have me pass him on the trail a few minutes later. After the third time of pushing past me, I did make a point to get right up on his back wheel for a ways and made him fight to keep ahead before I passed him again. Snarky, but fun.
    Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling. ~ James E.Starrs

My bicycle jewelry...
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Winterwoman...f=pr_shop_more

The other day I was out doing an endurance ride. There was a mass showing of a local team there, probably about 15-20 guys. I was doing lap after lap and I kept seeing the guys. I never passed them, but they never got too far ahead that I didn't see them here and there. Getting into the parking lot at the end of the night, a couple of the guys were complimenting me on my riding. I thought that was really nice, that rarely happens.

I've also noticed the following happening frequently: I've been doing a lot of riding by myself. I show up at a trail head and there just happens to be some guys I know. Guys that aren't super fast, I imagine I would be able to keep pace without blowing a lung They chit-chat in the parking lot and ask if I'm riding alone. Yup, I am. And then they say "have a nice ride" and take off. They never offer to ride together.

Some of the time I catch them and go on by, sometimes they stay just 100 feet ahead of me. I've not been in a racing mood lately--in other words, I'm out there doing my own ride at a steady pace, no desire to try and chase anyone down.

Anyways, just thought it was kind of odd they never invite me a long It makes me wonder if their afeared of riding with a girl.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

had to add my funny experience to this- in the past two years I have been mountain biking- everyone is friendly at trailheads- but no one has ever asked me to join them before. I just have recently gotten back into road and this A.M. THREE different groups of riders (two all male) asked me to join them when we met at intersections! Richmond must have the friendliest bikers ever! (: (and back to the whole "chicked" theme...yes, I had passed two of the groups... politely of course)

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Quote Originally Posted by tealtreak View Post
    had to add my funny experience to this- in the past two years I have been mountain biking- everyone is friendly at trailheads- but no one has ever asked me to join them before. I just have recently gotten back into road and this A.M. THREE different groups of riders (two all male) asked me to join them when we met at intersections! Richmond must have the friendliest bikers ever! (: (and back to the whole "chicked" theme...yes, I had passed two of the groups... politely of course)
    Richmond is really catching the cycling bug; all the talk of the Road World Championship in 2015 is having an impact. I see a lot more cyclists than I did when I first moved here.

Let me know if you ever want to ride! I have been just recently loving the road again- but Pocahontas, Poor Farm and Dogwood Dell/Belle Isle are my favorites when I have time to drive to trails (:
    Also- you are right about Richmond- Cap to Cap was so well attended this year they had to close registration- no day of at all.........

I've never actually heard this term before, but I think it's silly. Why assume a guy can/should be better than me? Why assume he can't? Gender has nothing to do with it.

On the ERock ride I did this weekend, on an uphill, I passed a tall, fit man on an uphill. Apparently he looked a little annoyed by it. Well, that's what happens on a big ride, buddy. Total riders that day was about 7500 between the different lengths.

At the same time, I usually ride with two guys. I constantly, routinely, lead and set the pace. If I drag behind, I usually can catch up and pass too. No one cares. We're all going to the same place.
    1984 Raleigh Technium 440 - retired(coffee runs)
    2012 Cannondale Synapse 5 WSD - 365 miles (updated 7.12.2012) - in a holding pattern due to injury.
    My blog: http://bikesbooksblues.wordpress.com/
    Fundraising link for my friend Aimee, after her ped/car accident

In my experience, men who are very offended at being passed by a woman are actually quite rare. They tend to stick out in your mind, but most guys are relieved if you can keep up, as they don't have to keep stopping to wait for you. The rare obnoxious ones tend not to join clubs, because in a club they'd find a lot of people they can't bear to be passed by - older riders, kids, etc..
    Queen of the sea beasts

I managed to chick my husband twice on an organized ride last Sunday, once on an uphill and once on a downhill. Chicking him is a rare event as he's a much larger, stronger, and more experienced rider than I am. He's always a good sport about it and even brags to his friends that his wife is getting so strong that she can chick him now. I love my husband!
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB
    Updated Vintage Terry Symmetry / Bontrager InForm RL WSD

Quote Originally Posted by Artista View Post
    I managed to chick my husband twice on an organized ride last Sunday, once on an uphill and once on a downhill. Chicking him is a rare event as he's a much larger, stronger, and more experienced rider than I am. He's always a good sport about it and even brags to his friends that his wife is getting so strong that she can chick him now. I love my husband!
    I doubt I will ever see this day. My hubby has been riding regularly for at least 5 years longer than I have (probably closer to 10, really) and is simply a natural jock--his parents were both jocks and DH has amazing VO2 max and a barrel chest with quads to match. I'm a tiny-lunged asthmatic and hail from an almost entirely inactive bunch of wide-loads. limewave has ridden with my DH and can attest to his beastiness. I'm just happy when I can sorta keep up, heh.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    I doubt I will ever see this day. My hubby has been riding regularly for at least 5 years longer than I have (probably closer to 10, really) and is simply a natural jock--his parents were both jocks and DH has amazing VO2 max and a barrel chest with quads to match. I'm a tiny-lunged asthmatic and hail from an almost entirely inactive bunch of wide-loads. limewave has ridden with my DH and can attest to his beastiness. I'm just happy when I can sorta keep up, heh.
    ^^Yes, he be a beast. I drafted behind him once in a group ride--best draft ever. I'm hoping to catch his wheel for LJ100!
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    I'm a tiny-lunged asthmatic and hail from an almost entirely inactive bunch of wide-loads.

You almost made me lose my breakfast.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

Quote Originally Posted by limewave View Post
    ^^Yes, he be a beast. I drafted behind him once in a group ride--best draft ever. I'm hoping to catch his wheel for LJ100!
    The JDRF team used to call him "The Whomper," years ago...I guess it's a sailing term. He's great to draft behind. There's another guy on the team who's even taller. He got behind me once and said "Kirsten, you're not very effective at blocking wind, you know!"
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3