Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking for new luggage.

To disable ads, please log-in.

So with all my traveling I need a good suite case. Mine just bit the dust after 8 REALLY good years. But the people who made mine are no longer around. So sad. Best suite case EVER. And 8 years with all the traveling I have done. It will be missed. So anyone?
    Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.
    > Remember to appreciate all the different people in your life!

Atlantic brand - high end models...shop online and save a BUNDLE!
    If you don't grow where you're planted, you'll never BLOOM - Will Rogers

One brand that does not sell for a discount (unfortunately) but is great, very light and rolls like a dream: Rimowa, their "Salsa Air" line. I have a purple 26" one. Bought it three years ago and still love it.

I don't mind paying more for luggage if it has a good company to back it. I was done years ago with buy cheap luggage. It has to protect my stuff. I have had luggage fail badly and had things damaged. This last duffel I bought was really a great one.
    I will look into your recommendations. Thank you

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    I'm sure this will be of no real use to you, but before my last trip I bought "new" luggage. A vintage 60's Samsonite hard case large suitcase and a smaller matching train/cosmetic case. It's actually VERY roomy and fits a TON more stuff than my last soft-sided luggage. It had the keys and it locks, but I don't know what would happen if it gets randomly selected for a TSA inspection (since the original locks are obviously not TSA approved- since TSA didn't exist in the 60's ).

I'm sure that's not what you were asking, but being the tree-hugging hippie I am, I vowed I wouldn't buy anything new if I could find something vintage and used that would work. And I got lots of "oh, my grandmother had a train case like that" at the airport. Yup, I'm a grandmother stuck in a 40 year old's body.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

From my travels I have learnt-

Hard case rather than soft
    Better quality rather than cheap (used one suitcase once- the trolley handle was broken and unrepairable- good bye suitcase)
    Four wheels rather than 2 (makes it easier when you are standing in a line, just push along, no need to tip).
    Don't go too big (you will never be able to pick it up to carry upstairs)
    Zip with rubber bumper rather than clip (clips fail more easily and you can get zips reaplaced. However it must have a rubber bumper to help protect the zip)

I got a pretty decent Heys (Hays?) hard case on clearance from TJ Maxx & I love it. It's bright pink so it's easy to find, too.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

I can't have a hard case because sometimes I have to pack a circular saw. Doesn't everyone?
    So I need the expansion. I usually put it is a soft case then in my suit case. In case anyone was wondering.

I'm really happy with the Briggs & Riley that I bought a couple of years ago. It's well-designed and constructed, and the company has an awesome repair policy.
    2014 Bobbin Bramble / Brooks B67
    2008 Rodriguez Rainier Mirage / Terry Butterfly Tri Gel
    2007 Dahon Speed Pro TT / Biologic Velvet
    1998? GT Rebound / Serfas Gel

And yes- NOT BLACK.

I've had good luck with both Atlantic and TravelPro.

Quote Originally Posted by NbyNW View Post
    I'm really happy with the Briggs & Riley that I bought a couple of years ago. It's well-designed and constructed, and the company has an awesome repair policy.
    I need to look that up. My Briggs & Riley is coming apart (fraying fabric). Doesn't appear to be airline damage.

Otherwise, it's a good suitcase (if larger than I really want to carry at times).
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

I've never had a piece of soft luggage survive an air trip in good enough condition that I'd want to fly with it again. I've never owned really expensive soft luggage, but the experience doesn't really make me want to, either.

I would highly recommend 360 casters over fixed wheels. It is soooooooo much easier to push or pull a suitcase on casters - narrow spaces and changes of direction are no problem.

ETA: These are the ones we have. The frame of one got bent on one trip, but it still closes fine with a little finagling, and it doesn't seem to have weakened the sides or seams at all (so far, anyhow, and it's been years and many trips). They've been plenty durable not only for air travel but also for FedEx shipping.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 05-24-2012 at 05:08 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I prefer a hard case with wheels all the way around. I have one and I cruise through airports while my travel mates struggle.
    2013: Riding a Dolce sport compact for fun and a vintage Jetter with cargo rack for commuting

www.bike-sby.org: A network of concerned cyclists working to make our city more bicycle friendly.

+1 on TravelPro. My uncle, who was a pilot before retiring, swears by it and it has been a very good piece of luggage, still going strong after almost 10 years.

2001 Trek 7500 FX, converted to a hauler - Serfas
    200? Marin hybrid - Selle San Marco
    2004 Trek 5200 - Avatar
    2011 Trek 6.2 Madone - Ruby