Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Amira vs Ruby

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by tlnbmd View Post
    oh boy, liked them all.
    Today I tried the Trek Madone 3.2 (did not have the 5.2 in my size) felt very much like the Ruby but weighing less.
    The Felt bike was light and fun to ride but they put me in to a 45 cm, felt ok but I just can't get over how tiny that sounds.
    I took a 48 in the Specialized, 50 in Trek and now a petie 45 in Felt?.

Does Felt run big?

I am going to try another Felt dealer to see if they agree. I thought the small frame fit ok too...a tad of a reach but not bad. They said they could move the seat forward.
    I am getting quite the work out and education trying all these different bikes.
    I wish they had a rental program where you can rent them for a few days at a time.
    Did you go to Hastings Velo for the Felt. I noticed on your other thread that you live in Westchester. Hastings Velo carries Felt bikes and i ve fiund them to be very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    If they think you move the seat forward when the reach is too far, they don't know about bike fit.
    +1 very true!!!
    2012 Specialized Amira S-Works
    2012 Vita Elite
    2011 Specialized Dolce Elite (raffle prize) - Riva Road 155
    Ralaigh Tara Mtn Bike

looking for a bike and I think I found it!

I rode the Scott Contessa Foil today and loved it!
    I think after the long search I have finally found THE BIKE.
    They fit me for the XXS 47 I am 5'2 1/2
    Although that number sounded small it fit perfect. It felt stable and fast, did a quick small hill and it was responsive and fun.
    I will probably pick it up tomorrow.
    Yipeeee.
    Any comments from those who are familiar with this bike?
    I don't know anything about the manufacturer but I do see these bikes around here.
    Thanks
    Terry

Is it the purple and black Scott Contessa Foil 2012 with Ultegra? If it is, I LOVE that paint job....very jealous since I am a purple type of gal!!!

Just make sure that you get a certified bike fitting and that the handlebars are also made of carbon (since you are spending a hefty sum of money). The carbon handlebars decrease vibration to your hands.

If you fall in love at first ride, this is probably the bike for you.

2012 Specialized Amira Elite, upgraded carbon handle bars, Jett saddle 143mm switched to 145mm 2012 Selle Italia Max SLR Gel Flow saddle

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle

Scott Contessa Foil

The bike shop spent 20 min measuring and asking me questions before even taking the bike out for me to see it. Then they adjusted the bike to my measurements. I took it for a few spins, love it. I am going back tomorrow to ride it again and up a nearby hill. It was raining off and on today so I did not want to venture too far. The bike shop was friendly and appear to be well informed. (They were the first rest stop for the Gran Fondo held in NYC last week. My husband rode in that ride and did well as well as several of our friends. It was a well run bike ride!)
    The paint job is fabulous on this bike, it is almost a violet highlight against charcoal/black.
    I can't wait to try it on a hill.
    Terry

I've not tried that bike, but have read only good-to-great comments. I think you made a good choice. Plus, it sounds like you've found an excellent, knowledgable bike shop, one of the most important factors for happiness withyour new bike. Good fit is everything!

I LOVE my Contessa Foil. I got an upgrade to Dura Ace. I've put almost 500 miles on it in less than two months; I can definitely go fast and get more power out of it than my other bike (although I know, it's more me than the bike). It really does feel like it cuts into the wind better though, and I can zip up hills in the big chainring with no problem.
    2013 Volagi Viaje
    2002 LeMond Tete de Course rebuild/"The Chimaera"
    2012 Scott Contessa Foil with Dura-Ace
    2011? budget "Takara Kabuto" Single Speed/Fixie "The Bumblebee"
    1999 Santana Team Ti 700 tandem/"Silver Streak"

Found my bike!

It feels like flying on The Scott Contessa Foil!!!! It weighs approx 16lbs and very easy to shift. It is surprisingly comfortable although in a very racing form.
    I am in the Catskills for the weekend and will be climbing a lot.
    It's a great place to practice my gears, clipping in and out and riding in traffic. Not much traffic except for in town. Cars are very courteous to bikes here.
    I did fall initially because I could not get my left foot out of the spd clips.
    I loosen it and has not been a problem. I fell standing stii, just like those comedy shows. No one saw me, what a klutz. The bike was unscathed
    And since it was a slow fall no injuries. Had to laugh
    I have been using clip in pedals for years on the tandem, these were just too tight.
    Rode the tandem around Hunter, prattsville, Windham yesterday.
    Absolutely beautiful. Did a hilly 35 miles.
    Hope to do the same on my single bike tomorrow. I have to learn how to shift on these new gears. It is so different from my hybrid.
    Thinking of training for a century. I have done 60 on the tandem.
    I bought the cyclist training bible. Any other suggestion on books?
    Thanks for the Comradship.
    Terry

Smile Fast bike

Did 17 very hilly miles, i think I got the hang of the new gearing.
    The hills were brutal, not so so sure now about a century. May be a half century.
    A quarter? These mountains are so humbling
    I thought Westchester was hilly. Oh boy
    I have to say it was weeeeeeeeeeee going own in a tuck. That's new for me.
    What a blast!

Quote Originally Posted by tlnbmd View Post
    Did 17 very hilly miles, i think I got the hang of the new gearing.
    The hills were brutal, not so so sure now about a century. May be a half century.
    A quarter? These mountains are so humbling
    I thought Westchester was hilly. Oh boy
    I have to say it was weeeeeeeeeeee going own in a tuck. That's new for me.
    What a blast!
    If you're in the Catskills, they are definitely mountains, not hills.

Remind me, where is the century? Is there info available about the ride profile and total miles climbed? That could help with your decision.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

love, love my bike

ok, decided to do 50 miles in the Golden Apple in Sept 2012.
    (Westchester Cycle Club New York)
    Anyone in the area interested in training together? 10-14 mph and a newbie on a road bike.
    Terry
    Westchester, NY

Tin - I honestly would love to as I'm also a beginner and a member of the Westchester Cycle Club (though I have yet to go on a group ride). However, I really can't commit to much to anything right now with this crazy, crazy job that I have which is taking up almost all my time lately and my crazy kids. If I end up signing up for the golden apple, I'll definitely PM you. One of these days I will sign up for one of their "D" rides and I'll be the girl in the pink/black Ruby who can barely do 12 mph!

Westchester rider

Hi,
    I live in Irvington and have twin 9 yr old boys who are in sports, piano ect. so I understand your time restraints!!!!
    I am going to ride in the D ride this Saturday(hubby said I should do the C but I am still learning how to shift my gears and ride in traffic) if the weather holds up and on Sunday the Bronx River Pkwy ride with my son.
    It will be closed for cyclist only form 10am till 2pm.
    The Westchester Cycle Club is great, lots of friendly cyclist who are willing to give you good advice.
    We rode our tandem with the C and C plus group for years. Have not gone out much with them the last few years because the kids have their games ect. This summer is different since my mom will be here for the summer. (yippee...) She live in Maui so when she visits she usually stays for months at a time. (Thank goodness my husband adores her.)
    I am happy to ride on the bike path anytime with you.
    I usually catch it up around Tarrytown Lakes and ride to the reservior a little pass Millwood. You are rewarded with an amazing vista. I would guess that is about 25-30 miles, not too hilly and we can stop for espresso in Millwood.
    Terry Biaggi

Westchester rider

We can shorten that ride if we pick it up at the A/P in Millwood. A lot of the Westchester rides start there.
    D rides are fun, it feels like you are being looked after. They have a leader and a sweeper. They don't lose anyone and the pace is set by the slowest cyclist. Sometimes they split to slower and faster groups but we regroup at the next rest stop. Yes they take rest stops, usually coffee breaks. My kind of riding group. The C's keep on going with one stop for bathroom/food and the C plus are trying to be B's....go much faster and shorter stops.
    All good stuff.
    Its fun. I really enjoyed it. Great group.

Bronx River Parkway

My son and I are going to ride on the Bronx River Parkway on Sunday in Westchester New York.
    Any suggestions for parking?
    Thanks
    Scott Contessa Foil 2012
    daVinci Joint Venture Tandem 2011
    Burley S&S Couplers Tandem
    Cannondale H300