Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Training for my first Metric Century-62 miles

To disable ads, please log-in.

Training for my first 62 miles...IT IS ROUGH!!! I work a very stressful job with very long hours and am physically and emotionally drained by the end of each day. It is frustrating to be exhausted when it is time to train and can barely do the miles. Is it because I have finally hit menopause at the ripe old age of 57+? Even my riding buddy is getting frustrated with the situation. I have put in only 60-80 miles a week, and 100 last week, with longest ride only 27miles that kicked my hiney. We are signed up to do the 62 miles at Harpeth River Ride on June 2nd in Franklin, Tennessee. Open to any suggestions!
    Don't cross the river if you can swim the tide...

2011-Cannondale Synapse Alloy5 WSD with 105 and BB30!

Most rides have shorter options, generally something like a 32 mile route. I would advise scaling back your goal for this ride and shoot for your first metric century later in the season after you have had more time to train for it. Two weeks is not long enough to increase your mileage from 27 to 63 unless you just want to have a sufferfest that day and be miserable. 32 miles would still be a challenge, but do-able.

There is supposed to be a certain amount of enjoyment to biking, and it sounds like this has turned into a very stressful situation for you. There is no shame in saying, sorry, the metric century just didn't work out for me this time, but I am really looking forward to riding the 32 mile route that day!

Grits

2010 Trek 5.2 Madone WSD, SI Diva Gel Flow
    2002 Terry Classic, Terry Liberator

Cancel? I hate being negative, but sometimes our bodies and/or lives just can't conform to our goals. If 27 miles is kicking your hiney two weeks out and your training time and energy is limited, I just don't know how ready you can realistically be for a metric on June 2nd. I did the century a few years ago at the Harpeth River Ride. I don't remember it being crazy hilly, but it was hot, and that can really take it out of you if you're not used to it. Beside canceling, if you can get your training rides up to the 50-mile mark, you might be able to gut it out. But do you want to? If the answer is "not really," then politely tell your riding partner that this isn't your year and that you're sorry. It happens. I did the ride alone and spent a lovely weekend by myself in Franklin, so maybe your friend can still salvage the weekend. Or perhaps you can do the shorter route while your friend does the metric. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

It looks like there a couple of other options you could do on that ride. How about doing one of those instead?

They have a 42 mile that I should probably change to, if I ride at all. We have a cabin rented for the week and were planning to ride some on the Naztec(sp?) Trail. I could sit out the big ride and site-see in Franklin.
    I really wanted some feedback from some ladies and greatly appreciate what you have posted. I needed to know that I was not just being a big WEENY! This is my second year cycling and I love it! It is really difficult to accept defeat, but from what you all are saying, it is just too big of a ride for me at this time. Thanks!

I would try not looking at it as defeat. There's always next year. I do hope you can ride a bit on the Natchez Trace. It's a fun experience. I've been bugging DH about doing the River Ride. I love that area of Tennessee. Maybe next year!
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

We rented a little place called Cycler's Rest...http://www.flipkey.com/leipers-fork-...ntals/p304735/ We've spent years raising kids and are looking forward to having some fun for just the two of us. (Again why I am so frustrated with my level of riding) I will definitely still be making the trip to Franklin and checking out the Natchez Trace!

How cute. There's some great cycling in that area. Perhaps you and your partner could get some additional rides in during your stay. So, rather than blow yourself up on just one ride, you could do a series of shorter rides. There's a guidebook that most bike shops in the area sell on cycling in Middle Tennessee. I think it's available via Amazon, too. Perhaps it'll give you some food for thought.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Hi KatzPajamas,

In my experience, it wouldn't be menopause but more likely general exhaustion, stress and lack of time. Are you following a training plan and how long have you been at it? I've done some extended solo touring (started riding for earnest at age 60) and did my first metric centuries this year. I've been using Gale Bernhardt's book this year, for training.

Your ride's web site shows 44 and 20 mile route options. I didn't see a time limit to successfully finish, but it does say there is lunch at the end of the ride. So it might be looking at a 6- hour ride? How much climbing is there? It sounds like more fun to be successful at the 20, or maybe 44 if you have a productive next few weeks than to feel like a failure a the 60. Don't forget that most training guides say the week before the event should be a taper week.

I always try to do the hardest thing I have a shot at succeeding at while having some fun. Both parts count to me. Only other thing I'd add is to try to ride your own ride and not live up to someone else's goals.

Suze, I did have a training program, but haven't really been able to keep up with it due to limited time, but mostly energy. I will check out the book that you mention. My husband and I were both very competitive in our younger years, then I sank my life into the kids. He started cycling 8 years ago at 49, and I think he has every faith in me that I can kick it in gear now and catch up with him. It's just not happening tho. Knowing that you began at 60 gives me hope! I was doing very well last fall after my first summer of cycling and started out light years ahead this spring than where I was last spring at this time. Thanks

+1 to what the others have said. There's always next year. Enjoy the shorter route rather than trying to suffer through the metric.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

You have received great advice thus far.

Here's something else for you to consider in the big picture...

What do you love / enjoy about riding your bike?

If the whole "training for an event" thing isn't working for you now, with the rest of your life stress, find some other things to ride that are not stressful, but enjoyable, what you look forward to after work, vs dread.

Personally I've had to switch up what I'm used to doing with some medical/health stuff. I was starting to think that my cycling soul might die. But, now with some changes in different types of riding, the love affair has begun all over again. Fwiw.

Good Luck.

I just ran a rest stop for a century ride today with 1200 people coming thru. Exhausting, but everyone looked happy. I have been riding for 3 years and have done 2 metric centuries. Both times I was completely wiped out by the end. I am not sure that I really need to be doing that. And perhaps you do not either. I am generally fine with 25-40 mile rides.

Still, these are fun events and they usually have lots of food and if you choose to do either of the shorter routes, you will probably have some fun. You don't need to rush, but can take your time. Most events have SAG wagons if the ride is too much. I would suggest trying the 44 mile race at a comfortable pace. It would still be a nice accomplishment.
    2007 Ruby Comp/Specialized Dolce
    2004 Bike Friday Crusoe/Specialized Dolce

Hi again,

Joe Friel also has a book I've found useful called "Cycling Past 50." He makes some accommodations for age ... recovery can take longer, etc, I always like having more than one point of view.

Suze

wanted to add my 2 cents on the hormone part for what it is worth. i recentlly found out i am mild hypo and moving towards premenopause...age 44and training for a century for hilly NH. my fatigue was brutal. not to say your other work stress/load certainly contributes for sure! my naturopathic put me on adrenal response supplements for energy and hormone and i cut out 90% refined sugars and gluten, increased my protein. i feel alot better and that is what matters most.
    on my century i have the option to do 50 instead if the hills are too much ( i live in flat lands).... you do the best you can and that is all you can do.