Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

A realization...

To disable ads, please log-in.

This isn't quite a health issue, but I recently discovered that I don't really have any depth perception due to the one eye that I can't see clearly out of.

I sort of feel like I've just had the visual equivalent of an exercise-induced asthma diagnosis, or something.

My whole life, I've been clumsy and terrible at sports. I can't hit, can't catch, can't throw, can't aim, can't even play video games...can't read a line on my mountain bike (and also, must be very, very brave to turn left at an unprotected intersection while driving). NOW I KNOW WHY!!

(Oddly, I have the hand-eye coordination for percussion, but I think it's because I rely on my ears more to know when I'm hitting things correctly, instead of looking at them).

Just wanted to share. Now I know why I find mountain biking so terrifying on downhills! I'm used to trying to gauge distance at foot-speed, but I can't judge relative speed of oncoming objects at all on the bike. Now I've got something to work with, anyway!

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

WOW- to think you used to ride Buttermilk and Northbank!!! You are one brave, amazing lady (: Good luck with managing it (now that you know it) no corrective lens options?

Same thing, here. It's hindered me all of my life.
    I diagnosed myself when in college and I was studying learning disorders.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I'm picturing you with the big light bulb over your head with an exclamation point!
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Quote Originally Posted by malkin View Post
    I'm picturing you with the big light bulb over your head with an exclamation point!
    Hahaha yep I'm actually surprised that none of my previous optometrists thought to check before. I was complaining about driving and I pretty much watched the light bulb go off for this guy.

Teal, I prefer contacts & my vision can't be corrected with them. I wear coke bottle glasses sometimes but those mean my peripheral vision is compromised (and I'm afraid to bike with them on, lest I fall and they go flying off somewhere) But I definitely wasn't killing it on Buttermilk/Northbank! I always went with people newer than me, it helped!

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens