Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by malkin View Post
    I use the left hand bent up at the elbow to signal right (same as when I learned to drive an ancient VW with no turn signals). It always cracks me up when people 'wave back.'
    This is generally what I do, though I go back and for between this and using my right arm to point to the right for a right turn. I do wonder if people even look for a signal from the right arm...

The two times I've almost been creamed though over misconstrued hand signals has been when I've given the turning left signal - how more clear could it be? Either they had no idea what it meant, or they were so distracted that all they could think of was speeding around me. Thankfully it's been some time since I last had a problem with this.

Today we had a driver pass DH when he was making a left into a parking lot. He was signaling and was in the lane. The person couldn't wait, accelerated and went around him . Of course, DH saw it, but still... the same thing happened a couple of weeks ago when we were leading a ride. A driver (in a Prius, no less) decided he couldn't wait for our small group (10, plus DH and I) to turn left. He passed DH so close that DH was able to pound his car and get his plate #. He also cut off 6 or 7 of the other riders in our group. Since I was sweeping, I saw the whole thing and all I could think was "I am going to have to have to write one of those accident reports for AMC." This was on a country road, in Concord, about 3 miles from my house.
    What is wrong with these people? We were "taking the lane," and I guess they must have been pissed we were.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I've also had drivers pass on my left while I'm signaling a left turn. Last year I was almost rear-ended by a car when I stopped to let oncoming traffic pass before turning left, despite the fact that I started signaling well before the turn and still had my left arm out while I waited.

I used to signal right turns with my left arm, like they taught in drivers' ed, but last year I decided to start signaling them with my right arm. Unfortunately I'm very unstable with my right hand off the handlebars. I've had to train myself to remain steady while holding the bar with my left hand only.

BTW with the advent of Capital Bikeshare in DC, there are many more cyclists in the city than there used to be. And so few of them signal turns. It drives me crazy. As a driver, there is a lot that you have to be scanning for on busy city streets, and forcing me to guess what cyclists are doing makes it that much harder for me to drive safely near them.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I also used to signal right with my left hand up, but I switched to using my right hand about 5 years ago. Like NY Biker, I also am very unstable taking my right hand off of the bar. In the beginning of a ride, I can barely do it.
    In the instance of the person passing on the left when we were leading the group, I think he or she was just pissed at seeing another group of cyclists. There were several special things going on around here that day, cycling, running, and one of the main streets was closed for electronic recycling day.
    Yesterday, well, I think they are not used to seeing and dealing with cyclists in the way they are here. Not that it's an excuse, but I really think some people don't know we are supposed to act like cars or realize how fast we can go. In both cases I think DH should have called the police, especially yesterday, but he didn't want to spend the time.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I also used to signal right with my left hand up, but I switched to using my right hand about 5 years ago. Like NY Biker, I also am very unstable taking my right hand off of the bar. In the beginning of a ride, I can barely do it...
    Thanks Crankin, this makes me feel better. The main reason I use my left arm to signal a right turn is I too am unstable taking my right hand off the bar. I can do anything I want with my left, that isn't a problem. I really don't want to do something that I KNOW makes me unstable in the middle of traffic. I can do it briefly, but not long enough to make me confident that the driver saw it.

I've also read the argument that drivers aren't looking for/don't notice so much right-handed signals, but frankly I don't think there is merit to that argument. Cars have turn signals on the right side, after all!
    Last edited by Catrin; 05-20-2012 at 04:03 AM.

I too use my hand and arm to point to the direction I'm turning. I think it's better too b/c it's a bigger movement and I have screaming yellow gloves I wear when I commute so they HAVE to see my turnsignals I'm surprised those gloves don't require batteries. I am familiar with that intersection at that time and I think if you are sitting in traffic and its backed up then it shouldn't be so bad b/c you can get going about as fast as they can. If you can give them room to pass you while you are taking off fine but if not I'd continue to take the lane. Curious did they ever finish the Multi Purpose Path along Michigan? If so, you could take that over to 60th street? I know you said there was construction but there are 'ways' to weedle through some of those neighborhoods.

There was a thread last year about someone not being able to drink from a water bottle while riding, and someone (I'm pretty sure it was Tulip) recommended a way to gradually practice riding with one hand, reaching for the bottle in the cage, etc. It involved reaching down and touching the bottle briefly as a way to get started. So I followed that advice for signaling with my right hand. On a safe part of the ride (i.e., flat straight trail or road with no one around me) I would practice lifting my right hand off the bar, first just a couple of inches, then a bit more, etc. until I was able to signal.

Oddly enough, after a couple of winter months off the bike, I found that this year I was more comfortable taking my right hand off the bar than I was last year. Still not as good as riding with my left hand off the bar, but I'm definitely better at it now.

In addition to signaling right turns, this has made me better at signaling road hazards on the right edge of the road while doing group rides.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

NY Biker, that is a good idea, I will start working on it. I don't care about drinking from a water bottle as so many places where I ride there aren't any options for more water - so my hydration pack serves me well. It would, however, be good to signal with my right hand without getting all unstable. I focused on doing things with my left hand when I started riding to prevent me from grabbing a hand-full of front brake...

WindingRoad, good idea about the yellow gloves! I really like my route home, and that intersection is the only bit that seems to give me problems - I think because the rest of it is 2-lanes. I don't have to stay in the right hand lane at the GT road intersection if I don't need to do so, and I am just more comfortable with that intersection and the rest of the route home. Once I've passed the Chase Bank I get on the "Trail" as there are just too many curb cuts on the "trail" for the businesses before - I feel safer being on the street until past that point.

They have completed resurfacing 56th from Kessler to just east of Guion Rd AND they now have bike lane signs up for that short section They haven't striped it yet but they have the markers so they can stripe the new car/bike lanes. The new bike lane will start just on the west side of the intersection. I thought about riding up Cooper to 62nd and take that home, but it is going to be closed as yet another part of the huge neighborhood project that is ongoing. Better just to deal with a quarter mile section of 56th that I don't much care for...

I read a very helpful tip on another forum for less wobble on signalling - just lift your chin before sticking your arm out. I don't think we have the bent left arm signal for a right turn here, it's left arm out for left turn and right arm out for right. I'm good with the right arm but my left is not so confident.
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

For a while I experimented with a blinky on my wrist to make my signal more obvious, but it just gave me a headache.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    If there's not much room, it sounds like you should just stay in line. That is always an acceptable and legal solution. It can piss off drivers if you move very slowly, like up a hill for instance, so it helps traffic flow if you're alert, prepared to start quickly and move over a little if appropriate. But do stay centred and visible if there's road work and you need to keep your place.
    I was back at this intersection last night and just pretended to be a tiny car & took my place in line. I was far more comfortable with this approach, and there is a bike lane that starts on the other side of the intersection. Thanks for all of the good advice on this!

Sadly they had a portion of the bike lane blocked off where they've already torn the shoulder up and I had a small problem with a car who just HAD to speed up and pass me before the the barrier that narrowed the lane, but I saw that coming and didn't allow him to make me nervous. The car after that was far more kind.

Now that we live so close to the grocery store, we walk with our little collapsible shopping cart. No sidewalks, of course. At the entrance/ exit of the store parking lot, exiting traffic has a right turn lane and a straight through/ left turn lane, and then there's the entrance (opposite direction traffic) lane. The opposite direction lane is closest to the store, so we used to walk wrong way up it. But after so many cars turning into the parking lot, and no where to walk but in their lane, we've found it is actually easier to walk in the middle (straight through/ left turn) lane, where we are walking in the direction of traffic. Even crossing over to the far lane (right turn) isn't ideal because then we have all this right-turning traffic conflicting with our line of travel.

It's kind of weird to take the lane as a pedestrian.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Quote Originally Posted by Melalvai View Post
    It's kind of weird to take the lane as a pedestrian.
    Heh. Which brings me to my personal pet peeve, stores designed around access from cars. We have two grocery stores 4-500 yds away, which should be great for shopping on foot. One of them is easily accessible on foot as it's right outside the subway, but the other one can be quite dangerous to walk to, especially in the dark of winter. That really annoys me! To get there, from our mostly car-free neighbourhood, I have to cross the road on a ped crossing, dodge the cars zipping up from the highway that haven't slowed down yet, and then weave my way carefully across a large car park to get to the front door. Not a pedestrian marking in sight, and of course, no bike parking. I don't know how they get away with it. Surely a minimum of safety for real live people is more important than being able to drive to within 10 feet of the door.

Sorry for the hijack...
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

The entire city of Kirksville is designed around cars. Not having a sidewalk to the grocery store is not worth getting upset about because it's the same everywhere in town. Now that I'm here, Kirksville is changing. (Or maybe we're part of a national trend that is happening in other cities without me!)
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike