Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Trek Problems Continue

To disable ads, please log-in.

<rant on>

I'm so disgusted.

To recap - my beautiful Madone (project one, 6.2 with Di2 - this ain't no Walmart bike!) has had problems. I had a blowout at 35 mph because of bad rim tap installation. The LBS has scratched my frame, handlebars, stem and stem cap. They also said, repeatedly, that they "went over the whole bike" - and about 300 miles later my crank fell off.

Trek in Wisconsin seemed to be helpful - at first. Now, they are ignoring my emails and phone calls. When they do respond, I get only partial answers. Questions like "Where are my handlebars being shipped to? Where is my stem cap?" go unanswered.

I was told that I have to live with the fact that the first shop scratched my frame. So, I'm going to another LBS (who knows the situation & agreed to help out) but at this point, I'm so aggravated that I'm ready to just pay for whatever Trek won't (like handlebar tape - oh but where ARE my handlebars?? ).

BUT, I'm not going down without a fight. I'm going to post this on Angie's list & talk about it to anybody who asks. Someone on another forum suggested I post it on the Trek Facebook page. Good idea? What can it hurt?

I keep thinking that if my last name was Armstrong, I wouldn't be having these issues.
    <rant off>
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

A post on the Trek Facebook page is warranted IMO. I would likely write something like:

I've gotten very poor service from a Trek dealer, including work on my Madone which damaged the bike, but worse, potentially could have killed me. Trek in Wisconsin has said they would correct matters through another dealer, but now I'm not getting responses (from Trek) to my questions. I'm very disappointed; does Trek stand behind its products? To whom at Trek should I be talking to to get these serious issues resolved?

I'm sure that can be improved upon; the goal is to get them to understand that what you've been through is something that could embarrass the company quite a bit (or opened them/their dealer up to liability), but not look like a raving lunatic by (understandably but perhaps counterproductively) ranting and also not get your comment deleted by the page admins. You want to give Trek the opportunity to do the right thing and still save some face.

And then I'd follow up with a longer (emailed) letter to the president of the company. ("As I posted on Trek's Facebook page....")

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll send another email and another phone call telling them that my next steps are Angies List, BBB and Facebook. At least they will have been warned!

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

You might consider actually sending them a letter. It might bypass the typical filters that have already seen your emails and get in the hands of a more mature supervisor. My guess is that your objective is to satisfaction rather than revenge...you might also point out that the thousands of TE forum members are anxious to hear of your satisfactory outcome
    If you don't grow where you're planted, you'll never BLOOM - Will Rogers

Unfortunately the BBB doesn't really have any power. I found this out when we had a bad Panasonic microwave that was out for repairs for the last 4 months of the 1 year warranty. Then when the warranty was over we were SOL. I complained to the BBB and their hands were tied. Eventually someone new in Panasonic's customer care found our complaint over a year later and provided us with a really nice, new microwave, but that was no thanks to the BBB--Panasonic appeared to have pulled their heads out of their a$$es a bit belatedly.

Seriously, though, I was born and raised in WI and will never buy a Trek after the stories I've read. They're the biggest dog and have apparently become too big for their britches.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Sorry to hear you are having major bike problems. My SO has been having major issues with the bike and the builder of a custom ti frame he got last year. You can read all about it here. [Warning: it's a very long discussion!]
    Specialized Ruby
    Gunnar Sport
    Salsa Vaya Ti
    Novara Randonee x2
    Motobecane Fantom CXX (Surly Crosscheck)
    Jamis Dragon

Best response would be by letter and very respectfully written. Explain the situation and be specific in what you would like done to rectify the situation. I would also express your dissatisfaction on how your LBS has handled the situation.

Is Trek and your LBS not communicating well? You shouldn't be having to make the phone calls, the store should. They have instant access to Trek and should know where your parts are and when to get them. Unless they haven't done anything and just hoping you'll go away.

You could post on Facebook as well. Just be tactful and explain the problem.

Are you putting the LBS on Angie's List and BBB or Trek in general as I was confused.

Out of curiosity are Trek/LBS liable if your accident is from faulty components or poor service?

Not impressed with my Trek LBS after my accident. My brakes had gone out on me that day contributing to my crash. I dropped off the bike and asked my LBS to go over the brakes. A week or so later the bike was ready and I brought it home.

Took it out for a test ride down the road and had no brakes. Talked to the LBS and they were 3 weeks behind and insisted he had gone over the brakes. Yeah, if I put the bike up on the stand, the brakes stop. If you ride the bike, they don't.

I talked to the guys on the mountain bike forum and they said the brakes needed cleaned and then realigned. Once I got the pads out they were a mess. I cleaned them, wiped down the rotors and attempted to realign the brakes. I had better braking power but not enough. I've had the bike almost a year and the brakes have never cleaned..my bad, but I thought that's what the shop was going to look at. If I'd gone back out on the trail thinking my brakes were fine, I'd have crashed again.

I called up the bike shop where I purchased my Salsas to see how backed up they were and he said a week. He said to drop the bike by and I'd pick up in a week or so. Long story short, since he knew it was a 160 round trip, he fixed the brakes that day and they work great.

Guess who is getting my business even though I'll have to pay for it.

Let us know how it works out. You paid a ton of money for that bike and Trek/LBS should have rectified it ASAP.

If you went to another Trek shop, explained the situation would they be able to get those parts in? Given your situation, when they do come, I wouldn't have that shop put it together.

The parts were supposed to be shipped to another Trek (independent, not a custom Trek-only shop) LBS. I haven't been able to confirm with Trek but am planning on just stopping by the second LBS (who will be doing the work on the bike & has a great reputation). They need to know that I don't have horns.

I would think that the first LBS would be responsible for the accident. Thankfully, I wasn't hurt - just scared half to death. I told the first LBS that they were lucky I'm an experienced rider because a novice would have dumped the bike right in traffic. Not blowing my own horn - but I've been riding over 20 years and have had my share of close calls. But never due to bike failure.

There are a slew of other questions that Trek in WI is ignoring. For example, how will Trek rectify the scratched frame? At present they said I have to live with it. I need to know that the second LBS will put on new handlebar gel tape & Trek will pay for it. Those are just a few questions that Trek in WI is ignoring.

Honestly - I'm so sick of this whole mess. DH has said just go to the second shop, get it done & send any bill to Trek. If they refuse to pay, get a lawyer. I hate to go that route. But we do know some pretty high powered lawyers who would work almost for free (DH is a private investigator for them).

RE BBB & Angie's list - I would send complaints to both WI and AZ BBB's just to have it on file. Ditto Angie's list. I know they won't do anything but I do feel that other people need to know before they lay out big bucks. If I had known, I wouldn't have dealt with the first LBS.
    Last edited by Dogmama; 05-19-2012 at 04:39 PM.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Bummer. I absolutely adore my trek dealer.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmama View Post
    The parts were supposed to be shipped to another Trek (independent, not a custom Trek-only shop) LBS. I haven't been able to confirm with Trek but am planning on just stopping by the second LBS (who will be doing the work on the DH has said just go to the second shop, get it done & send any bill to Trek. If they refuse to pay, get a lawyer. I hate to go that route. But we do know some pretty high powered lawyers who would work almost for free (DH is a private investigator for them).
    I would visit with the shop that is going to do the work and see if they can help also act as intermediary with Trek.

I would not just get the work done and send Trek a bill. That likely is contrary to the terms of the warranty.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

Dogmama, I'm still trying to sort this out.

I understand your gripe with the LBS. But why are you attributing responsibility for the scratched frame and crank issues to Trek? Who applied the rim tape? Is the LBS a company owned store or independently owned?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bloom View Post
    Dogmama, I'm still trying to sort this out.

I understand your gripe with the LBS. But why are you attributing responsibility for the scratched frame and crank issues to Trek? Who applied the rim tape? Is the LBS a company owned store or independently owned?
    The LBS scratched it but they have basically abandoned any culpability. I contacted Trek because the store I purchased from is a Trek Concept Store - they sell only Trek bikes. Trek WI has assumed liability for Trek LBS. Rim tape was applied by Trek at the factory.

But frankly, I'm just really sick of the whole mess. As much as I believe Trek should pay for this, it has become a nightmare and sucking WAY too much energy. It's a beautiful bike & rides like a dream. I'm becoming more inclined to just pay for whatever Trek won't & move on.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

It's hard to believe that you are still having issues with your bike/LBS. I do hope that namely TREK gets their heads out of their a** and helps you. Although I'm always hesitant to suggest this, I too think that TREK is too big for their pants, unfortunately they have been for many years. It's scary to think of the service that was performed on your bike both from the shop and from TREK, it's a nightmare! After learning that this was a TRek concept store, well let's just say that their actions speak loud and clear!

As others have suggested, I would contact #2 LBS and see if they can help out. I too would send a well written letter to TREK and perhaps even send it certified mail... simply because that should have a much bigger impact. Hopefully then, they'll accept repsonsibility and take care of things...and that will be the end of it. In the auto industry, they would loan you a car for the period of time that you were out it, perhaps you should ask Trek if they have that option.

Good luck with everything; I hope it's all completed by the next time that we hear from you!

Now I understand. My Madone had two paint chips in shipping - nothing structural - but LBS offered a 10% discount and I've been fine with it since...but that was before I took possession.

On principle, you're 100% right, but odds of 100% satisfaction seem remote to me. I hope you find peace in whatever course you pursue.

Dogmama - check your PM's.