Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Unbelievable

To disable ads, please log-in.

So finally all parts are in. But they are wrong.

1. Handlebars they sent are steel. I have carbon fiber. I told Jeff at Trek they were CF. He could have checked the build order on the project one if he didn't remember.

2. DH's bike computer was supposed to have cadence. It does not.

3. Stem cap - how can you screw that up? (I really didn't say that did I?)

But, sadly, I've really had enough. I took it to another LBS, showed them I didn't have horns & asked them to go over the bike completely. Tomorrow I will also be re-fitted on it. I'll just pay for whatever Trek won't pay for. It is just sucking too much energy. I'll live with my scratched up CF handlebars.

This is how big corporations get away with crap - they wear us little people down. Trek is refusing to answer phone calls & emails. I could escalate it but frankly, I'd rather pay a few hundred bucks and move on with my life. And I'll never buy another Trek bike & encourage my friends to do the same.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

My sympathies. Trek pulled a similar stunt on my husband several years back. We will never buy another Trek.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Dogmama, I'm sorry it has turned out like this for you. I hope the other LBS can at least make some things better for you.

I live just outside of Tucson. When I was shopping all over Tucson for my bike, I went to this store. They didn't have the bike I wanted in my size but offered to order it from another store that did have it. But, I would have to pay for it, without even trying it out first. And if it didn't work out I could not get my money back. I was puzzled because another small but well known local bike shop offered to order a Specialized something (not cheap) and no obligation on my part. Something didn't seem right about Trek so I moved on.

Later I learned about bike shops and customer service. I didn't get mad at Trek but I wasn't thrilled either. Another bike shop not far from Trek had much better customer service and there I got my Scott CR1 Pro, with all Ultegra for a better price.

I never really considered not going back to that Trek store, but after reading about your horrible experience, there's no way I'd go in there and spend serious money.

You have a beautiful bike (saw the pics you posted when you first got it) and I hope you can still have many happy miles.

So sorry you are going through all of this Dogmama

What a mess, Dogmama. I hope the other LBS is better for you.

My local Trek concept store has been less than helpful, but I haven't spent much money there. (Not much opportunity, as that store carries only the larger WSD bikes.) Husband has been drooling over a Madone, though maybe we'll try to get it through the LBS rather than the Trek shop.

Anyway, good luck. I hope that you get some satisfaction from Trek corporate.

Wow. In light of this, I'll be doing some serious re-thinking about ever buying a Trek.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    Wow. In light of this, I'll be doing some serious re-thinking about ever buying a Trek.
    I had already decided not to do that before seeing all of this, but this just reinforces that decision.

It is a shame that this would happen in a Trek "concept" store (what "concept", exactly, are they after?). I never considered Trek when I bought my bike in 2010 because of their affiliation to Lance Armstrong, but their shoddy customer service is astounding. Your story and ny_biker's one with the cracked frame are infuriating.

Quote Originally Posted by pll View Post
    It is a shame that this would happen in a Trek "concept" store (what "concept", exactly, are they after?). I never considered Trek when I bought my bike in 2010 because of their affiliation to Lance Armstrong, but their shoddy customer service is astounding. Your story and ny_biker's one with the cracked frame are infuriating.
    Yeah...from where I sit it appears that neither of these scenarios is an exception. After I first read ny-biker's story I googled to see if there were similar cases (thinking hers just sounded so beyond the pale that it had to be a rarity). Unfortunately these ladies are not alone. I've seen Specialized and Cannondale bend over backwards to make things right for their customers. Trek is apparently too big to make the effort, now. If they keep that up they won't remain the big deal that they are for long.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    Yeah...from where I sit it appears that neither of these scenarios is an exception. After I first read ny-biker's story I googled to see if there were similar cases (thinking hers just sounded so beyond the pale that it had to be a rarity). Unfortunately these ladies are not alone. I've seen Specialized and Cannondale bend over backwards to make things right for their customers. Trek is apparently too big to make the effort, now. If they keep that up they won't remain the big deal that they are for long.
    Dogmama's case reminds me of the phrase an Italian friend uses frequently: "Never underestimate incompetence." ny_biker's story was closer to blackmailing: destroying the frame to see if the warranty applies just did not sound like a appropriate course of action.

I have one final suggestion: tweet to @trekbikes, perhaps linking the threads in this forum that describe the litany of customer service mistakes.

ETA: I would re-tweet.
    Last edited by pll; 05-23-2012 at 05:56 AM.

+1 on the service of Cannondale!! I'm a very small shop, but customer service has always been great! Speacialized on the other hand, I've had problems with in the past. They're great at getting dealers to sign dealer agreements, but not great at 'policing' those policies.

I think the actions or lack of on Treks part have shown most people that there are plenty of other options and many with much better customer service... and in the long run, isn't that what we all want?

Dogmama, glad to hear that you are moving on with things.. here's to hoping that you have a great summer and fall riding program!

http://chasecyclery.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by ridebikeme View Post
    +1 on the service of Cannondale!! I'm a very small shop, but customer service has always been great! Speacialized on the other hand, I've had problems with in the past. They're great at getting dealers to sign dealer agreements, but not great at 'policing' those policies.

I think the actions or lack of on Treks part have shown most people that there are plenty of other options and many with much better customer service... and in the long run, isn't that what we all want?

Dogmama, glad to hear that you are moving on with things.. here's to hoping that you have a great summer and fall riding program!

http://chasecyclery.blogspot.com
    I have to disagree here about Specialize's customer service. In the shop my husband works in there have been minor problems with a couple of bikes and even the S-Works shoes. They questioned out of complete concern and didn't even blink an eye at doing the right thing. Not only that, any replacement was expedited. I have been to their headquarters in Morgan Hill and I have to say they run a first class operation and was very impressed with the time, energy & testing that goes into bike, helmets etc. It may sound like a work for them but I don't. If they had offices here on Long Island I would. They are just one of the better companies that the shop deals with.
    2012 Specialized Amira S-Works
    2012 Vita Elite
    2011 Specialized Dolce Elite (raffle prize) - Riva Road 155
    Ralaigh Tara Mtn Bike

Jo-

I'm glad to hear that your LBS is being supported by Specialized; that's always good news!

However, the problem that I had was a fact, not something based on emotion/interpertation... simply a bad response from the big "S". Had you been in my shop that week, you would have witnessed what happened and it was a HUGE issue with a shop sponsered rider! At any rate, I'm glad to hear that you feel things are different... always welcome news

Back to the point of this topic: enjoy riding Dogmama!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmama View Post

This is how big corporations get away with crap - they wear us little people down. Trek is refusing to answer phone calls & emails. I could escalate it but frankly, I'd rather pay a few hundred bucks and move on with my life. And I'll never buy another Trek bike & encourage my friends to do the same.
    I'm not sure I agree with the first statement, but if you do, it's all the more reason to not give up. But regardless, it's clear to me that Trek made a mistake going retail
    If you don't grow where you're planted, you'll never BLOOM - Will Rogers