Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Commuting with toddler

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello ladies,
    I want to cummute with my 1y.o. baby, but I'm not able to find acceptable solution. I don't like back attached trailers because I'm scared if I can't check the baby during the ride. I've found this today, www.dandybicycles.com, do you know that brand, or that carriers which they make? There is no price, ordering, nothing...

Looking forward to your answers, glad to be here

Hello and welcome.

I searched separately for the bike you linked to (no offence, but links in first posts can sometimes be dodgy). I have a trailer for my 4 year old. Personally I would sooner have her behind me than in front. Trust me, they always let you know if they're not happy. You can get also front mounted seats like the Bobike or Wee-Ride, I know that there are plenty of pros and cons for these but they would give you your little one close to you without needing quite so much infrastructure ahead of the front wheel.
    I think the great thing about trailers is that in the worst case, if you go over, the trailer stays upright or only tips onto one side. They are low so it's not far to fall. They also have a decent roll cage for the child's protection, and are easily detached if you need to leave the trailer at nursery or wherever and ride on elsewhere yourself. The bike mounted seats are the best for versatility though, as you don't have to worry about fitting through narrow gaps or where to park.

Good luck with your choice, riding with a child is great.
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

I agree with Hebe about the tag behind trailer. They are very stable and as safe as they get. I'd be worried about maneuvering something like you posted, having that much weight and bulk on the front of the bike. We had a Burley Solo. Its narrower than a 2-child carrier and there was plenty of storage room.

We just sold the Solo and bought a Weehoo for our nearly 3yo son. He LOVES riding in it. The only downside is that its not enclosed, it wouldn't be my first choice if I was commuting all the time with the kids.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

Thanks for your advices!

You are maybe right, I'll try to buy something like @hebe posts, small front seat, anyway, my child is't big enough to put it in a trailer. But what to buy then, that's a question... In fact, there are not many cycle paths in place where I live, and this is why I'm a bit scared about using a trailer in a traffic. You don't know what is happening behind you all the time.

Ditto on the wee-ride. Front carriers are very stable.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

I can't find that product on the web, will you please give me a direct link? Thanks.

http://www.weeride.com/

You see lots of them in places other than the US.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Visit Momentum Magazine's web site (easy to google) and search for their articles on carrying children on bikes. They have covered this issue many times and you'll find lots of good ideas there and product comparisons. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by karen.d View Post
    Thanks for your advices!

You are maybe right, I'll try to buy something like @hebe posts, small front seat, anyway, my child is't big enough to put it in a trailer. But what to buy then, that's a question... In fact, there are not many cycle paths in place where I live, and this is why I'm a bit scared about using a trailer in a traffic. You don't know what is happening behind you all the time.
    I think children can go in trailers from when they are old enough to sit up, but you might want to check that. B went in hers from about 2. Some have special seats to take younger babies. Re traffic, I was fairly nervous about riding with a trailer, but found that I get the most road space and courtesy when I have a hi-viz green trailer with a hi-viz flag and a 6ft ribbon too. It does make drivers far more cautious, it took a while to get used to drivers hanging well back, or passing v-e-r-y slowly so they could try to see the child
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

I think your original link may be a knockoff of the Zigo Leader: http://www.myzigo.com/
    Sarah
    2008 Specialized Dolce