Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Deliberately Cut Off By Car

To disable ads, please log-in.

I was biking home from a short commute today and was in the middle lane of the road, which was the outer left turn lane on a one-direction road (I was turning left). A car sped up behind me (there was no traffic around) and hurriedly cut right in front of me and slammed on her brakes. I have no doubt that she was trying to cut me off, but all I can come up with is that being on my bike was an irritant to her.

So frustrating! And so hard not to get mad...
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

I had this yesterday! coming into a "Form One Lane" where two lanes join together to form one, coming in on the centre line of the lane I was in to make sure everyone could see me - the lady in the lane next to me, obviously saw me but decided she couldn't wait for 5 seconds to turn a corner
    Nearly ran me off the road trying to get around me in, what is by this time, a single lane.. AND I'm in the centre of it.. then slammed on her brakes, came to a complete halt -and turned a corner into a shopping centre carpark

I waved and smiled at her - don't care if she saw me or not
    It is hard not to get mad - but the way I tried to look at it was - maybe there was an emergency. Maybe they do need to save that extra 2 seconds it takes to wait for you to pull to the side.
    Or in my case - There very well could have been an emergency clean up in aisle 5 that ONLY she could fix.
    I don't know that she didn't have any kind of emergency
    I'm just glad I got home safe, and that I don't have any emergencies in aisle 5... and that I'm on my bike - which is quite obviously a more calming experience than driving

There are some real jerks out there. There's not a lot you can do when someone is deliberately trying to cut you off, other than knowing how to brake quickly with a turn of your wheel to avoid a collision. You did great, and it's okay to get mad. What that driver did is illegal. You could make a police report if you got the license plate.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Ugh.

I really think some people just don't know, either. Don't know how fast bikes can go, don't know how to react with them on the road. Get flustered and do stupid things.

We had an article in the paper here, likely a hit-and-run involving an injured cyclist, and in the midst of all of the bicycle-bashing comments one woman writes in to ask "So if there's a bike in the bike lane, and I need to turn right, what am I supposed to do? Speed up, get in the lane in front of him, and turn? Get ahead of him and turn from my lane?" I wasn't registered to comment, but I wanted to ask what was the matter with slowing down to wait for the cyclist to pass and then turning behind him. She wasn't being snotty, she just honestly had no idea - and it hadn't crossed her mind that slowing down was an option.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

I think a lot of the attitude starts out as just not knowing what to do, and then getting angry at the source of confusion, more than the "I shoudln't have to slow down for three seconds!"

But... lots of them sincerely believe we should keep our little toys on the sidewalk. I gave the boy who pulled his big pickup out in front of me on our city street a horn blast, and he stopped and rolled down his window to inform me that he had seen me... and "You had plenty of time!" Of course, I had the right of way -- having time to stop without hitting him wasn't the question... but he went on to inform me (while driving, now) that I should be in the bike lanes -- that aren't there. Then we *got* to bike lanes and he pointed to them and told me that's where I should be riding...

I have violent fantasies. I imagine middle age women vigilantes shooting out tires of careless and reckless motorists.

I used to walk to work. Over the years I had a few near misses with cars. Most of the time it was cars pulling up to an intersection, the driver would look left before making a right turn. They did not think to look right to see if a pedestrian might be crossing in front of them. I was almost hit a couple of times by these kind of drivers. I'd imagine a baseball bat connecting with the hood of their car.

The worst was once when I was crossing a quiet avenue while walking parallel to a busy state. A car on the busy street cut in front of me while I was crossing the avenue. He yelled at me to get out of the way. I was pumped and yelled a variety of obscenities back. In retrospect, a dangerous behavior on my part. But yet satisfying.

*A lot* of drivers have no clue what the laws actually are. I was crossing the street (on foot) just last weekend at an intersection and was screamed at to cross in a crosswalk, by someone who did not want to stop - they nearly ran me down..... In this state *any* place where two roads come together is a crosswalk - painted with white lines or not and cars have to yield.....

It really cheezes me off is that person was willing to actually threaten me with their vehicle (by not slowing down while I was practically right in front of them). Even *if* I had been jaywalking, they still have no right to run me down.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Quote Originally Posted by goldfinch View Post
    I have violent fantasies. I imagine middle age women vigilantes shooting out tires of careless and reckless motorists.

I used to walk to work. Over the years I had a few near misses with cars. Most of the time it was cars pulling up to an intersection, the driver would look left before making a right turn. They did not think to look right to see if a pedestrian might be crossing in front of them. I was almost hit a couple of times by these kind of drivers. I'd imagine a baseball bat connecting with the hood of their car.
    A friend of mine who doesn't bike, but has a friend who does tells a story that I will never forget. Apparently the cyclist had a car from a perpendicular street run a stop...the cyclist somehow had the coordination/skill to unclip and run over the driver's hood...leaving DEEP and long gouges in the paint from her cleats. Of course the driver couldn't say anything, since he/she was totally at fault and knew it.

I fantasize about having the ability to react like that.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I don't know about any of you but the most terrifying drivers who drive: 1) BMW (they own the road,don't they) 2) Mercedes (same thing but to a lesser extent) 3) High rise pickup trucks (male size issues) I apologize in advance to those who may own these types of cars, but all too often it seems if I slam on the brakes to avoid an accident, these are the models most frequently noted in my mind when my life flashes in front of my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by deeannef View Post
    I don't know about any of you but the most terrifying drivers who drive: 1) BMW (they own the road,don't they) 2) Mercedes (same thing but to a lesser extent) 3) High rise pickup trucks (male size issues) I apologize in advance to those who may own these types of cars, but all too often it seems if I slam on the brakes to avoid an accident, these are the models most frequently noted in my mind when my life flashes in front of my eyes.
    This...and there is an Audi in my 'hood that will NEVER give me room when I'm running. I always end up forced into the ditch (relatively narrow road without even a gravel shoulder, just a foot or so of tall grass and a ditch), even if there is no one oncoming--they will not move into the other lane by so much as an inch.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

My worst experiences have usually been with drivers of Jaguars, Hondas and the Toyota Prius. *shrug* I don't think bad/rude/inconsiderate drivers are necessarily drawn to particular brands of cars. It seems to be a pretty diverse group.
    2009 BMC Road Racer SL 01 / Specialized Ruby 155
    2007 LeMond Reno / Luna Chix Team Saddle
    1980-something Lotus Odyssey / Brooks Finesse
    1992 Bridgestone RB-2 / Brooks B-17 Imperial
    Nada Bike singlespeed / Brooks Team Pro in white

I'd guess it has more to do with the predominate make/model of car on the road in your area..... out here you could probably say most incidents are caused by green or silver subaru wagons - just because there are so darn many of them...
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Thanks, I drive a BMW.
    Don't make assumptions. I find it's more a certain kind of person who does clueless driving stuff around cyclists. And these people come in all shapes, sizes, colors, and religions. And it all comes down to 3 things: One, drivers don't realize we have the same rights they do; two) they don't realize how fast we can go; and 3) they can't wait 3 seconds.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Thanks, Crankin I drive a full size SUV, I especially LOVE slowing down for bicyclist when there is another big vehicle behind and obviously impatient. It is so sweet when that big vehicle cannot go around me, cannot intimidate me with their big vehicle and s/he just has to wait and be nice.

When I drove my small sedan, some of the big vehicle drivers would try to come up close behind me and try to get me to move faster or something. It made me nervouos sometimes, but I wouldn't give in. After driving the Tank (it's what I call our SUV) no more. Of course if the person's behavior was looking dangerous, a different approach.

Big SUVs can be a good thing too...besides having to haul loads from Costco

dt

around here in texas it is almost invariably a Ford F150 pickup, usually white, more often than not, jacked up and more often than not driven by a young stud. The gas prices seem to have cut down the SUVs and Hummers but not the pickups.

ah well. I have twice been bumped from behind by cars who were planning to run the yellow light instead of stopping.

The joke around here is that "red is the other color of light you can run."

marni
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."