Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How do you heal a .....

To disable ads, please log-in.

Very small sore on the most tender of the soft tissue where you contact the saddle. It's smaller than a pea in size and gets red/swollen after riding, even with using chamois cream, etc. It was caused by the wide cutout on the Selle Italia Diva and even though I've removed that saddle and switched to another one that I rode successfully for thousands of miles I can't really get past this sore spot and back to normal. One week I didn't ride for 5 days in a row, but even though it appeared to be "gone" it came back when I rode again. I know if I could get it healed it probably wouldn't come back if I just use the original saddle I had success with.
    2010 Specialized Sirrus Comp (XS)
    2010 daVinci Global Venture

That stinks Sounds like a saddle sore/cyst. I recall some people have had to have injections to help them heal (cortisone). I seem to recall someone had some success with a blister bandage? Might be worth a try.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
    That stinks Sounds like a saddle sore/cyst. I recall some people have had to have injections to help them heal (cortisone). I seem to recall someone had some success with a blister bandage? Might be worth a try.
    Ummm. This is no place upon which you can put a bandage.
    2010 Specialized Sirrus Comp (XS)
    2010 daVinci Global Venture

Quote Originally Posted by deskrider View Post
    Ummm. This is no place upon which you can put a bandage.
    That's kinda what I thought when someone said they tried it before. Awkward to say the least. Do you have a doc you can call? I'd be hesitant to use cortisone cream there without a doc's approval - but it might help.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

I'm curious what others will say as well. I do recall reading posts of people who went to a doctor for help, but don't remember the specifics. I was beginning to wonder if I should go to a doctor for a recurring sore I had in probably about the same spot as you, but I seemed to figure out a way to "manage" it. If I recall correctly, I used Desitin before a ride (particularly long rides). Then I'd put Chamoise Buttr over that. My friend started doing the same as she started getting saddle sores as well. We jokingly called it our "layers". "Oo! I gotta put on my layers before we ride!". And then when I'd come home I'd put on Neosporin after my shower. Maybe again at bed time if it was really bothering me, but I think I rarely felt the need to with the other "layers" I typically did.

I think when my "sore" was particularly bothering me I'd actually put on Neosporin before the Desitin and Chamoise Buttr . . . so three layers.

This regimen changed depending on how much I was riding and if that sore was causing any problems, but for the most part, that seemed to help a lot. It did seem, however, that it would never completely go away forever if I didn't do anything else, which is why I considered going to a doctor a few times.

I have since had to take about a year off of anything more than 30 minute rides due to health. I am now slowly amping up my ride time, but haven't noticed that specific sore coming back yet. Fingers are crossed! I'm sure you don't want to take a year off, cause quite frankly . . . that SUCKS! I'm SO glad I'm riding again.

So, you might try my "layers" method to at least manage it and maybe it will actually help heal it as well. If that doesn't work, you might want to consult a doctor. I'm curious what others will say.
    GO RIDE YOUR BIKE!!!

2009 Cannondale Super Six High Modulus / SRAM Red / Selle San Marco Mantra

neosporin applied diligently. And take a week off the saddle.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Just make sure you're not allergic to neosporin first...

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Or the doc prescribed something appropriate. I'd try that before using neosporin. Especially the ointment.
    This. I was prescribed something specific. The doc who prescribed was a cyclist himself; knew exactly what I was dealing with. Said to NOT use neosporin, ever, that it is very irritating (lots of people are apparently allergic to it.)
    Giant TCR C3 :: Specialized Jett 143
    Specialized FSR :: Terry Butterfly
    Vintage Giant Road Bike :: Specialized Lithia

I've had best results with Desitin.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

I had a cyst that responded to heating with a hot water bottle. Every evening for 10-20 minutes. Took a while, but went away without surgery.
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

I'm prone to a saddle sore in one specific area. I've noticed that if I apply neosporin or bag balm after I ride that I don't develop a saddle sore, even with higher mileage rides.
    Girl meets bike. Bike leads girl to a life of grime: http://mudandmanoloscycling.com/

For blind large "boils" I use Magnesium sulfate-glyerol paste on a small piece of guaze taped to the spot to draw the infection out. Also pawpaw ointment (Lucas is one brand) which is great for chaffing, cuts, boils etc. I have a jar of it and after my shower I smear it on. It's also good for babies nappy rash.

I had a similar saddle sore. It would go away between rides but then pop back up after a ride. My doctor prescribed an anti-bacterial cream, which helped immensely and I thought it had gone. Then after a particularly long ride, it popped back up again. Then the doctor prescribed a course of antibiotics and the problem appears to be gone forever.

So, if I were you I'd talk to my doctor and get it fixed once and for all.

Epsom Salt and Baking Soda hot water baths for 20-30 minutes.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

Hot Epsom salts bath. Then a combination of tea tree oil and Rosemary essential oil applied daily right after the bath. This worked for the one small sore that just would not go away. One week, and it was gone and it has not returned. Rosemary oil is antiseptic, and tea tree oil is antibacterial and a disinfectant.

Of course, make sure you are not allergic before using.
    Tzvia- rollin' slow...
    Specialized Ruby Expert/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Specialized SWorks Safire/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Giant Anthem-W XT-XTR/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Fuji Newest 3 commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Novara E.T.A commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL