Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Lesson Learn - First Day Commute 14 miles

To disable ads, please log-in.

On Thursday I decide to commute to work for the first time. What a challenge??? After reading a few posts I took the suggestion of doing a trail run on my day off. (Thursday). I left the house after rush hour because I will not be riding in rush hour traffic anyway, due to the distance I have to commute to work. So many things happened on this ride It’s hard for me start the story. I will start with Google Maps. So I have my goggle maps and it said, in 3.4 miles you will turn on Cliffbrook Drive. I never saw Cliff Brook Drive, so I keep going down a main street with no shoulder. I got honked at twice on this part of road, so I keep peddling along the way. I come to a hill with no shoulder, and fast moving traffic. I decide to get off my bike and walk across this busy street. I jump back on my bike, riding enjoying the neighborhood ( I am new to this city) . I try and shift my gears and POW…. Chain not catching the gears. Ahhhhhh my Derailleur is jacked-up. So from past experience I know not to keep riding like this; not that you can anyway. So I am off the bike walking, too I don’t know where. Then I decided to ask Siri (Iphone) to locate the nearest bike store. 2.8 Miles away, I can walk that with ease, however, I said let me catch the bus. I have my emergency money and I need to learn the buses anyway in case of emergency. I learned to put my bike on the bike carrier with the help of the bus driver. He was a great bus driver, plus he rides bikes. So he knew my pain. I arrive at the bike store $70 bucks and hour later I am on my way to my job. All of the naysayers were in shock. You biked 14 miles??? I sure did and will do it all over again on Monday.
    1. Emergency Money
    2. A full charged phone
    3. A good attitude will help you through everything

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Ok, so it was filled with mishaps and new route adventures- but you did it!!!! Love your attitude about it all! I also love that the bus driver showed you how to put your bike on (I'm terrified to use those since I have no clue how- even tho I've watched the video on the transit site a million times).
    Can't wait to hear how it goes again on Monday!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

wow, well done! I'd feel so proud, if that were me. Hopefully Cliff Brook Drive will make itself visible to you on Monday
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

You might want to turn on the hybrid view on Google Maps and zoom in to make certain that Cliff Drive really does intersect. Sometimes they get it wrong, but the aerial will prove it either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    You might want to turn on the hybrid view on Google Maps and zoom in to make certain that Cliff Drive really does intersect. Sometimes they get it wrong, but the aerial will prove it either way.
    Thanks for the tips.

Way to go! That's a good story.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Rina, that is an awesome story. So proud of you and that is a decent commute!! You stayed calm in face of stress and an emergency and that is no joke.
    2013: Riding a Dolce sport compact for fun and a vintage Jetter with cargo rack for commuting

www.bike-sby.org: A network of concerned cyclists working to make our city more bicycle friendly.

Congratulations! You persevered and did great.

One suggestion: have you taken a bike repair class? Lots of simple problems can be solved easily if you know how.