Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

Fiddleheads -best cooking method

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm boring --I just sauteed them in olive oil and put a dash of soy sauce since it doesn't take much to cook them. They were fine. I had whole wheat paste and steamed salmon fillet on the side.

How do you prepare them that you find tastier? I've had some hit and miss experiences. Once I overcooked them and they tasted soapy.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Sorry that I am of no help but I had to google "fiddleheads" to look at the thing. That looks like something that my family is NEVER going to try
    They look healthy though, are they?

A type of baby fern bud. Yes, they taste healthy and green. I'm just looking for ways that people have already tried that jazz it up.

I realize the recipes are online but there must be proven jazzier recipes.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I've had them once and they were so memorable. I had steamed fiddleheads loooooong ago at this place reviewed below. And I could swear they used the liquid from steaming the clams to steam the ferns. Maybe even in the same pot. I didn't ask because I was a kid but someone please go and ask the chef:

http://community.seattletimes.nwsour...2&slug=1083629
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

I had no idea what these were until tonight when I had them for the first time. I'm in Montreal for a conference and we went to some fancy restaurant. By the way Ca Roule is a very nice bike rental place. I rented a bike from them the first time we came, a couple years ago. Tomorrow morning I'll have some time because none of the talks appeal to me until 11:15. So I think I'm going to go to Mt Royal Park. Because I've been down the canal path a few times.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    I'm boring --I just sauteed them in olive oil and put a dash of soy sauce since it doesn't take much to cook them. They were fine. I had whole wheat paste and steamed salmon fillet on the side.

How do you prepare them that you find tastier? I've had some hit and miss experiences. Once I overcooked them and they tasted soapy.
    I must be equally boring. The one or two times I've had them, they were blanched, then sauted in olive oil and garlic. But i could eat just about anything in the world if sauted with garlic and olive oil (& salt). I have a jar of pickled fiddleheads in my pantry. I think I've had them for about 15 years now. I suppose I should just toss it. No way I'm ever going to eat them at this point.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Pickled fiddleheads are probably ummm fermented a great deal by now.

Melavi, hope you enjoy Montreal. Montreal also has a public bike share system. Been there for last few years.

Velo Quebec has an office with a cafe. http://www.velo.qc.ca/en/Contact-Us