Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New to me commuter bike

To disable ads, please log-in.

Just got this off Craig's List for $85, which might be a bit too much, but I liked it, and I needed a get-around-town bike that didn't require me clipping in and out.

I did some research prior to looking it over, and it seems to be a late model Raleigh USA. It doesn't have the Sturmey Archer hub (has Shimano), and nice parts that seem to make these things valuable, but the frame is in very good condition (no rust and only a couple small scratches). I don't think the chain has been lubed in a decade or more, the brakes work, but squeak, and the Made in Taiwan (not good old England) handlebars have minor pitting as do the wheels. All else is good, and it rides beautifully. Need to get it fixed up, and then for a Brooks saddle and grips, and a nice basket.....any ideas, ladies?
    2013 Kirk Frameworks JK Special/Selle Anatomica
    2012 Gunnar Sport/Brooks B17
    2001 Calfee Tetra Pro/Selle Anatomica
    1984 Raleigh Sport/Brooks B66

There's a bike to put a smile on your face when you do the shopping! No ideas on baskets I'm afraid, but enjoy your new ride!
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    oooooo... she's really pretty!!! And I don't think you overpaid. She's a classic beauty. So she's made in Taiwan and has a Shimano instead of a SA hub- I think she's gorgeous!!! She would look really pretty with a front porteur rack on her!
    Of course that's what I want on MY errand/grocery bike. I was too cheap, tho, so I bought a Wald front handlebar basket for $18 that just hangs on handlebars (the small black one) and then bought a cute little bag from the thrift store to use as a basket liner.

Congrats on your find! She's a fine specimen!
    Last edited by Tri Girl; 05-12-2012 at 11:24 AM.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Yup, a new saddle for sure. That would be priority. Basket next and grips 3rd. You might need to ride it for awhile to see how the chain is functioning especially going up a small hill. It does look quite rusted.

Nice colour!
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Thanks, ladies! I'm excited.

I called the lbs where I got my Gunnar, and they recommended I take it over to another place that has been dealing with Raleigh bikes for decades, just a father-son team in a tiny shop. The father offered me $200 for it on the spot, and had a similar one, but with much more wear and tear on the frame, in the back. He's going to clean it up for me, and replace anything that needs replacing, but other than being filthy and needing new brakes, it's in pretty good shape. I decide to go with a Brooks B66 in honey and matching grips (my big expenditure), and got new cream wall tires. I don't like the plain jane crank of this later model, and he's going to try and get me a heron one, but we'll see. I also chose a wicker basket. TriGirl, I really like that front porteur rack. If I end up not liking the basket, I will definitely check that out.

LOVE that he offered you more than double what you paid just looking at it. It's a keeper for sure!!! I just adore old, classic bikes. Definitely post new pictures when you get it back all spiffy and shiny and new!!!

I also like this porteur rack. Something about the wood makes me swoon. I guess it's why I bought this rear rack to put on my '83 mixte. Wood, stainless steel and bikes make me drool. I was hoping to put bamboo fenders on my mixte, but there isn't enough clearance with the frame.
    Last edited by Tri Girl; 05-12-2012 at 02:28 PM.

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)

Beautiful old mixte!

I have a 1973 (or so) Western Flyer that I just love (and just got tuned up). It's got an old Selle Royal leather comfort saddle on it that I love, but I haven't tricked it out at all. All the wood and chrome racks are making me swoon a bit, too!
    "There are only two ways to live your life: You can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle" - Albert Einstein

2012 Cinelli Gazzetta della Strada
    2011 Scott Contessa Speedster 15
    1993 Cannondale H600
    1970s Western Flyer Cruiser

Congratulations -- what a beautiful bike! I can't wait to see what it will look like after you make your changes. Please post pictures!

Picked it up today from Tropic Bike, the guys who cleaned it up for me. They put on a Brooks B66 saddle and matching grips, new tubes (thorn resistant- don't want to be changing flats on this thing) and gum wall tires, changed out the 1984 ugly crank for an older heron one, added basket and little copper bell. This thing weights 9000 lbs, but is surprisingly fast. Just took it for a spin in the neighborhood. I'm very happy.

I have to take another, better, non-iphone pic later. It's much prettier and shinier in person.

Wow it looks so great now. I love how all the new accessories match! The LBS did a great job. Adorable. I have an argyle liner in my bike basket. I love liners, they really personalize the bike. I'm hoping to get basil panniers soon so I can carry groceries and go to the farmers market. You have an awesome bike!
    2013: Riding a Dolce sport compact for fun and a vintage Jetter with cargo rack for commuting

www.bike-sby.org: A network of concerned cyclists working to make our city more bicycle friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by climbergirl View Post
    Beautiful old mixte!

!
    no. That's a step through frame
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

If you want to use this for carrying any weight (like grocery shopping) I recommend a rack and rear baskets. Too much weight high on the handlebars will affect steering.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    If you want to use this for carrying any weight (like grocery shopping) I recommend a rack and rear baskets. Too much weight high on the handlebars will affect steering.
    Agreed. Although I'm almost embarrassed to admit it, I don't really grocery shop. I usually leave my house between 5:30AM and 6:30AM, and often don't get home until after 7:00PM. I am lucky enough to have a local company that prepares fresh, delicious meals in nice portions, that delivers to my job three times a week. I get four tasty meals a day for less than I was spending on groceries that would end up in the trash. I'm eating better, too. If I had a family, that would be different, but for now, I only have eggs, feta cheese, and a mango in my fridge. I plan to use this bike to ride around town, meet friends for coffee, go to the gym, and commute to work twice a week. The basket should be fine for that.

Quote Originally Posted by murielalex View Post
    Agreed. Although I'm almost embarrassed to admit it, I don't really grocery shop. I usually leave my house between 5:30AM and 6:30AM, and often don't get home until after 7:00PM. I am lucky enough to have a local company that prepares fresh, delicious meals in nice portions, that delivers to my job three times a week. I get four tasty meals a day for less than I was spending on groceries that would end up in the trash. I'm eating better, too. If I had a family, that would be different, but for now, I only have eggs, feta cheese, and a mango in my fridge. I plan to use this bike to ride around town, meet friends for coffee, go to the gym, and commute to work twice a week. The basket should be fine for that.
    I wish I had someone to cook for me and deliver me food.

Lovely bike and nice choices for the fix-up.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

It was beautiful before, but with the upgrades it's just STUNNING!! Congrats again! Even tho I have more than enough bikes, this makes me want to browse CL...

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)