Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Very First Commute

To disable ads, please log-in.

While I am know the ride home this afternoon will be very different, the ride in this morning was awesome! I left home at 5:15...a bit over a mile later I realized I didn't have my Camelbak with me - and it had far more stuff in it than water. So I turned around...at 5:32 I was headed the right direction again. It was early.

That early I can't take my preferred route that uses a MUT to get downtown, so I put on my big girl panties and rode straight down Lafayette Rd to where I could cut off and work my way to my office. There are bike lanes there, but they are a bit bizarre and confuse drivers and I would not ride that road south of where I live at any other time. At 5:30 in the morning, however, there are very few drivers and I was lit up pretty well. What few there were gave me lots of room.

So, off work at 11:30 today (I work a compressed schedule), ride to the gym for a free trainer session, then home again.

Clothing was hard to figure out. This morning was in the midish 40's, but it will be almost 70 by noon. I wore my lighter weight winter layers this morning (nice and warm without getting overly so), and I brought a jersey and pair of shorts yesterday for this afternoon.

I assume that everyone brings an extra pair of shorts for the return home, or do you let the morning pair dry? I certainly prefer the first choice, just curious if anyone does the latter. I can't carry very much...
    Last edited by Catrin; 05-11-2012 at 03:37 AM. Reason: Spelling challenged

Congratulations! Bike commuting rocks

I wear the same shorts home. We have very good drying facilities though, and everything is dry by the time I head homewards. I'll even wear the same pair several days in a row, depending on how much I've sweated in it. My commute takes 45 min to an hour and a half, depending on the route and how fast I want to go.

I do have a spare almost-thrown-out pair and a spare pair of socks lying at work, though, in case I ride in in heavy rain and things don't dry in time for me to ride home. Even though I'll just get soaked again, I hate putting on damp shorts or socks...
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Thanks LPH, I was curious. Since I work a partial day when I am most likely to commute they may not dry in time but we will see. It will be a different season when I return home this afternoon!
    Last edited by Catrin; 05-11-2012 at 03:57 AM.

Somebody, I forget who, had a very good tip for day-stashing damp cycling clothing if there's no way of hanging it up to dry.

As I remember it was - roll up all the clothing with the driest stuff on the inside and the dampest on the outside inside a dry towel, then stuff the whole package inside a paper bag. Sounds like it should dry things out pretty well!
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Thankfully I have a little closet behind my office door, so I just need hangars. I liberated a few from our main coat rack since it isn't currently being used and I will bring some from home next week. It was complicated today since the temps are changing so much between rides but it won't be long until that won't be an issue.

No tips, but congratulations on your first commute!
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

Yay for you, Catrin. I'm really proud of/happy for you!
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Congratulations!! I'm glad things worked out well - I know you had a lot of what if questions.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

I always just hung my shorts up over a hangar in my supply closet. When I was teaching, I commuted the first 6 and last 6 weeks of the school year; most of my commutes were in temperatures you describe: forties in the AM and seventies at 2:30 when I came home. Once I rode in at 42 and came home at 88!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    Yay for you, Catrin. I'm really proud of/happy for you!
    It was fun Nice to mix it up, and thanks to all for the tips. I did hang my shorts up but they didn't have time to dry...I will work with this and see what I can work out for the next time.

Yeaaaaa Cat!!! Congrats on the ride!!!!
    Starbucks.. did someone say Starbucks?!?!
    http://www.cincylights.com

Congratulations - I love bike commuting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '89 Bridgestone Radac Dura-Ace | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1 | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1.2 (balloon tire bike) | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '93 Bridgestone MB-5 (my SUB*) | Specialized Lithia, 143

My blog: Portlandia Pedaler (at Blogger)

bike shorts

I had my first 2-way commute Wednesday. I did take fresh shorts for the ride home and have stashed extra at the office for that purpose. Mine were not dry from the morning ride either and I was glad to have an extra pair on hand. My tights and base layer shirt were damp as well...lucky for me the temp had raised and I was able to use a pair of capri's over my "fresh" shorts for the ride home along with my barrier jacket and jersey. Last fall, knowing I was planning on commuting I picked up extra shorts on sale so I am well supplied. I am thinking I will stash extra jerseys as well and swap them out so that they have a chance to dry. My challenge is going to be finding an area to air out / dry my commuting clothes. My bike looked like an expensive clothing rack <g>
    Deany

"A girl can never have too many bicycles"

2008 Specialized Ruby Comp
    2012 Specialized Vita Elite
    2013 Specialized Myka Elite

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Hooray!!! Good for you, Catrin! I swear, the first time I did it I wondered why I waited so long. Way to tackle it!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Deany, how long is your commute?
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike