Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: elliptigo

elliptigo

To disable ads, please log-in.

I saw a guy riding one of these on the road today. I had to play around with google searching until I found out what it was.

http://www.elliptigo.com/

Getting that low-impact elliptical workout and being able to go outside to do it seems great, but I think I'd be terrified to ride that down a hill!

Anyone else seen one out on the road or know anyone who has used one?

I'm just curious...I'm not planning on buying one!

I'm curious too. I saw one in a bike shop in Minneapolis--they are huge!
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

I have never seen one in person, but I think it looks really fun! I don't know how hard it would be to go uphill, though, and like you, I think I'd be scared of the downhills!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    A friend of mine has one that he uses for commuting. His was the first one sold in Maryland. Now, I saw them at our local Performance store.

My friend saw folks using them on a recent STP ride, I think, and he said it was a "gotta have" for him. He has a blast on it. Says it's a real head turner, and hasn't noted any problems with hills. Not as fast as a bike, but he moves along just fine on the flats.

I can't imagine how you would turn that thing around in a small area. It's like an aircraft carrier and weighs about as much!
    Last edited by 7rider; 05-11-2012 at 02:47 AM.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

I wonder how much adjustment there is for fit ... and if the fit out of the box is as splayed-out as stationary ellipticals.

If it were fixed gear it would be terrifying on descents (and it would probably take a very heavy person to control it). I'm assuming it freewheels. Still, I don't know that I'd really want to get it up over 30 mph or so. But that's probably just a matter of getting used to it. Experienced downhill skiers might enjoy that kind of thing.

Ideally I suppose you'd have a handlebar control to switch from freewheeling to fixed gear so that you'd have reverse in tight spots.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 05-11-2012 at 03:32 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I rode one at Performance a few months ago. It was fun but personally I'd rather ride. It was a workout, tho. Turning wasn't really hard, it does freewheel. For me stopping was kinda scary.

I saw a guy riding one in the Tour of the Tucson Mountains. He was on the 70-mile start, I dont know if he finished or not. That's one tough dude.
    laurie

Brand New Orbea Diva | Pink | Specialized Ruby
    2005 Trek Madone Road | Pink | Ruby
    1998 Trek 5200 Road | Blue | Specialized Jett
    ???? Litespeed Catalyst Road | Silver | Terry Firefly

I think it would be great fun in Florida, where it is dead flat. Other that that, I agree...too difficult to control, stop, and scary to descend. I bet it would be a real hit in a retirement community down in Fla., though. Can you imagine the reactions you'd get?!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I saw someone on one in the park a month or two ago. Seemed strange to me.
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

I saw one in use yesterday in my area, I guess their target market are runners who can't handle the impact any more but still want to run outside??? I don't see this product being around too long but who can say? At least it gets them outside.

I've seen one or two around. Probably on a cycling event somewhere. Very interesting!
    GO RIDE YOUR BIKE!!!

2009 Cannondale Super Six High Modulus / SRAM Red / Selle San Marco Mantra

There is one at my LBS and it's HUGE. It looks interesting but l can't imagine it being very versatile or easy to transport.

I saw on at the summit of Cottonwood Pass in Colorado. I was blown away that he could do such a big climb on that thing!
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

My LBS has one, I rode it and it was fun but isn't something I would spend money on. For one thing they are pretty pricey if I remember correctly. They are a bit awkward to steer, I remember it being scary to stop and they are huge. For me I am pretty sure the the novelty would wear off really fast.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    don't know that I would buy one, but they look very cool- and very good at mimicking running without the pounding.
    Descents are scary on my normal bike- I don't know that I would like them on that...but then again... maybe I would. If I ever see one- I'm going to beg for a test ride.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

I saw three of them on the STP a couple of years ago. Looked like they were promoting them, but they made it look like a LOT of fun. They seemed to float past me on the longview bridge and quickly climbed out of view. The next year, there was a guy riding one on the Cascade Training Series rides in the yellow group (12-14 mph average) but I didn't see him after the first three rides--after the rides started getting really hilly. I think those three people were super fit "ringers"--intended to make the elliptigo look effortless and fun.

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba