Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

wsd Trek X-caliber vs Specialized Jett comp/ 29ers

To disable ads, please log-in.

One last bike shopping question, I've narrowed it down to these two 29ers.

I'm one of those women who really does seem to do better in the WSD, long legs and shorter arms and torso. I do notice a nice fit with the Specialized WSD models, not sure if it would be as noticeable with the other brand-names. But anyway, here are my final two contenders.

http://mountain-bikes.findthebest.co...d-Jett-Comp-29

In some ways the X-cal seems better on paper, from the research I've done so far... and it does get good reviews... But the Specialized seems a favorite of women riders and you don't hear as much about them breaking and falling apart etc. Again I liked how the Specialized fit. I talked to Specialized shop guy today and he felt the Jett Comp 29 was no slouch (this model was called the Myka HT Expert 29er in 2011) , his main suggestion for the Jett was to get some really light tubeless wheels to knock a couple pounds off the weight and give better traction etc. I was put off by hearing that there were a lot of frame breakage problems with the x-cal, as well as other things breaking and snapping after not much use on them, don't know what to make of it. Seems some people still really love them.

I think the breakage issue is on older x-cals. At least, I hope so, since I have one

I have a 2011 X-cal. Only had it a couple of months, but I'm happy with it. I really wanted a Stumpjumper 29r, but we got a great closeout deal on the x-cals and dh was able to pick one up as well. Basically got two x-cals for the price of 1 Stumpy.

A friend of mine likes her Myka expert. I have a couple of specialized bikes that have served me well. I don't think you'd go wrong with either brand.

I don't know how tall you are, but the 15.5 and 17.5 X-caliber WSD are IDENTICAL to the men's/unisex X-caliber (check out the specs on the trek website). Except for the color. Maybe the 14.5 in frame is designed differently?

Anyway, if you are someone who usually needs WSD because of proportions, I would make sure you got a really good trial ride on that one before commiting. I think it's a wonderful bike, and I almost got one, but I can't ride most WSD bikes.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Thanks for your input so far, you guys.

I just ordered the Jett. Good point about the frames being the same on the Trek wsd and unisex bikes, that's one of the first things the Trek dealer told me which had me hesitating to get the X-cal, because as tall as I am (5 7", not super tall but not short), I did feel like I was swimming around in my BF's 17.5 Trek, felt a serious lack of control and confidence in how I fit in that frame even though I think the Cobia is a nice ride.

My BF and I are both pretty athletic and want to be able to take this new biking idea past just light recreational, so I was a little worried that the Jett might be just a slightly dolled up low-end super basic entry-level bike that I won't be able to get some nice performance out of (if we get more serious in our aspirations). I realize you can get much more expensive bikes but $1,350 for me is not cheap. After scouring the net for reviews ( I mostly had to look up last year's model, the Expert), it's getting some nice nods~ while not 'race-ready' (probably due to weight~ 30 pds~ and a frame that is not geared towards a more aggressive riding position?), the female pro racers who tested it felt it fit them well, handled nicely and they enjoyed the ride.

I'm too amateur to go buying myself the $2,900 Specialized fate and really justify it to myself even if I could afford it, so I guess I'll be happy with my nice entry level Jett. I think I may go ahead and replace the tires right away, I asked our Specialized shop guy what I would want to do to increase performance on it, his biggest suggestion was trading out the original tires for much lighter tubeless tires; this would lighten the weight on the bike (by 2 + pounds!) and make climbing hills much easier... plus a slightly knobbier, wider yet lightweight tire would give more traction. That was one of the only cons mentioned in the reviews, the Jett goes up hills great but the big wheels are a little sluggish starting up a hill. My bike shop guy was saying all that extra weight on a rotating wheel really does make a huge impact on your handling experience. I had read a pro racer-gal's review where her number one suggestion on the 29ers was to replace the wheels with the lighter ones asap, so that advice seemed solid. We already upgraded the chain for $25, he said would make the shifting nicer and take off a little weight.

Anyway, thanks again!
    Last edited by countrygirl; 05-10-2012 at 06:18 AM.

While I definitely think you should focus on fit when selecting a mountain bike, I tend to think you're overthinking the rest of it. You gotta start somewhere, and the Jett is a perfectly nice bike, as is the X-Cal. It will more than you get you started in the sport. I understand the appeal of higher end bikes, but don't lose sight of the fact that you don't have to buy high end to ride and to ride well. Get the bike and ride it. I'd add that from my own experience as a relatively new mountain biker, I tend to think that taking a clinic or some lessons will help you ride better far more than getting a higher end bike will.

I really urge you to hold off on swapping out anything for now. Would you notice the difference with lighter wheels? Sure, but you'll be in a much better position to figure out what you want if you ride the bike for a time first. Certain things on the bike are wear items, so upgrading from the get-go doesn't make sense. Just let them wear out. As for wheels, I generally think they're a good first upgrade, but I wouldn't put any money into a bike until you're really sure you like it and are sure what kind of riding you do on what kind of trails.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Excellent points Indysteel, thanks. Yes I tend to over think EVERYthing, lol. I'm satisfied with my choice this time based on the fit in my test rides. The only advantage to switching out the tires right away is I get a big discount, if I wait I have to pay and extra $150 when the time comes. But you're right, for my purposes I probably will be fine with the tires the Jett comes with. I'm going to be riding with a bunch of people on 26ers and was just thinking that if the lighter tires help you get up the hill faster (the one sticking point of this 29er is supposed sluggish starting up hills), changing the tires out would help me keep up. Anyway, yes I am way over-thinking, maybe time to just drop it for now and figure out things as I ride and get accustomed etc.

My wonderful LBS gave me store credit when I swapped out the standard parts right away and upgraded (along with a small store discount for accessories/upgrades the day I bought my bike). So, if you do get store credit by swapping immediately and upgrading, that's what I would do. I'm a new mountain biker, but my LBS said that they highly recommend the tubeless tires for mountain biking due to less weight and less worries about needing to change tubes/tires from thorns/sharp objects.

If you don't get store credit by immediately upgrading, then just wait until you are sure about what you want.

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle

Hey Tigermom,

Urgh, what you say is true, Indysteel may not have realized about the discount factor. Thanks for weighing in, I think I will go for it and get the recommended lightweight tires~ $400 w. discount/ $550 without (expensive but heck, I'm restraining myself from getting a $2900 Fate which would kill me dead financially). I am going to be riding with more experienced people and want to be able to keep up, plus getting a flat sounds easy to happen with tube tires.

I read your post about the Fate and remembered your user name, I guess one way to think about it is that the Fate just came out and give it a couple years and they will really have perfected the technology and maybe offer more lightweight 29er models to consider as well. One of these days we will both have one :-).

I may not have known specifically about the discount, but I've bought enough bikes over the years to know how this works. I've upgraded parts right out of the gate myself, sometimes with regret, sometimes without. It's easy to get "upgraditis," but there are worse ailments out there, too. In the end, you're the best judge of what you want in a bike and what you can afford.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Thanks Indy, very sound words. I don't want to go nuts upgrading a bike I have never even seen in person yet, but did read lots of pro and regular consumer reviews on this model where changing out the wheels for lighter seemed to be the chorus, so I will probably do it right away to get the discount. If there were no discount I would rather just take my sweet time with upgrading. The chain upgrade was so cheap with discount ($25) couldn't resist, since the guy said it really would make the shifting smoother. Smooth shifting, avoiding flats and being able to correct the one thing people complained on about this bike, sluggish start-up on hills, seem to be worthy investments for a thrifty person like me. Thanks again. I can finally turn my mind to other things having made these big decisions, which bike to get etc. 10 days 'til she arrives and then we ride !

The only real upgrades that I need to get my HardRock up hills faster are better leg muscles, and about 10lb less of me sitting on top of it Have fun with your new bike!
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

Lol, point well-taken. Looking forward to losing a few pounds myself. I was amazed, getting on a bike again after so long, that it certainly does require some muscle to getcha up a hill! I'm pretty fit but running muscles don't translate into biking muscles just like that. Loving the idea of a very fun way to stay in shape so I can have some variety from hiking/running... and those gym machines when the weather is bad, which never seem to get you in shape like really getting outside and battling serious gravity does!

Quote Originally Posted by countrygirl View Post
    Thanks Indy, very sound words. I don't want to go nuts upgrading a bike I have never even seen in person yet, but did read lots of pro and regular consumer reviews on this model where changing out the wheels for lighter seemed to be the chorus, so I will probably do it right away to get the discount. If there were no discount I would rather just take my sweet time with upgrading. The chain upgrade was so cheap with discount ($25) couldn't resist, since the guy said it really would make the shifting smoother. Smooth shifting, avoiding flats and being able to correct the one thing people complained on about this bike, sluggish start-up on hills, seem to be worthy investments for a thrifty person like me. Thanks again. I can finally turn my mind to other things having made these big decisions, which bike to get etc. 10 days 'til she arrives and then we ride !
    I just want to clarify, that while I offered some advice--from my experience--about upgrades, I don't want you to feel like you need to justify or explain your reasoning to me or anybody else. It's your bike, your money, and your call.

I will say that I'm pretty wary when I talk to LBS employees at certain shops though. Some will shamelessly push product regardless of actual need or they'll overstate the improvement you'll gain from the upgrade. As a for instance, expect to hear at least once that you absolutely need to replace your cassette every time you replace your chain. I think that's lousy advice, but you hear it all the time. Remember that with a lot of upgrades, it's not the difference between the bike not working at all and working flawlessly. You're often talking about very modest improvements in performance. Just something to bear in mind going forward....

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I 'think aloud' more than feel a need to justify, plus it gives someone like you a chance to chime in on all my loud thinking lol, so i can gain more perspective... That is all good to know, actually having read on a biking forum that Bikeshop salespeople will often try to sell you what is on the floor really helped me to avoid being suckered, as I did notice this dynamic when shopping and stuck to my guns. The sales guy I'm talking to about replacing the wheels didn't really have any other suggestions, just that and the cheap chain upgrade... and I'm the one who asked him about any upgrades he'd suggest. But it's good to be aware of what you are sharing, me and bf are having to really slow down with out upgrade fever, we started out happy w $600 entry level bikes but now we are buying $1300 bikes a few days later... What happened there??