Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Bontrager Affinity WSD saddle: RL vs RXL model

To disable ads, please log-in.

I like the size and shape of the Bontrager Affinity WSD saddle. However I'm considering switching from the RL model (mid-range in terms of padding) to the RXL (least amount of padding). The RXL is quite expensive, so before I plunk down the cash, I'm wondering if anyone has already tried both versions.

The background is that I started with the RL last year, but found it painful on the sitbones. In retrospect, I think I had some slow-healing bruises caused by some different saddles that I had tried first. But at the time I thought I just needed a bit more padding, so I returned the RL and got the R (most padded) version.

The R was comfortable for a few weeks and then I started having problems with my sit bones no longer being supported, causing discomfort from too much pressure from the nose of the saddle. Basically the padding softened up over time -- when I compared my saddle to a new Affinity R, mine felt softer.

So a couple of months ago I bought another RL and put it on my bike. It's an improvement over the R, and when I start to ride I feel my sit bones resting on it, but after I ride for about 60-90 minutes I start to sink into it and feel the pressure from the nose again.

So, anyone out there have experience with the RXL?

Thanks very much!!!

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Finally, I have taken the plunge and bought an Affinity RXL. They are now selling a more expensive version than the original, with carbon rails. I did my first ride on it today, just under 50 miles.

It is definitely more firm than the RL -- for the first time in ages, I felt supported on my sitbones. There is also less padding in the nose, though still a bit more than I would like.

I have 30 days to decide if I want to keep it. It was a bit too far back during my ride today -- I was getting some pain in the top of my foot and front of my ankle, so I had the LBS guy do the plumb-line thing afterwards and he moved it forward.

FYI, I had to buy a different saddle clamp to accommodate the carbon rails, since they're a different size/shape than standard saddle rails. But it only cost about $11, and the Bontrager website tells you which clamp to buy (if you are content to buy it from them).

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles