Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Riding Steep Hills with Asthma

To disable ads, please log-in.

Does anyone have any tips?

I have Asthma and for some reason this year I've had a harder time riding up steep hills. I have an inhaler and take my meds.

I'm riding up the back side of the East Fork of Glendora Mountain road and there are a few areas where it is 12%. (I think). I can ride steep hills but not five miles worth.

Thanks.

If you're talking about a steep hill that is five miles long, I've never tried that. The steep hills around here tend to be shorter so you're able to recover before you reach the next one.

But fwiw, I find that I have to shift into the lowest gear and slow my cadence down, sometimes as low as 50 rpm with a speed of only 3 mph. But that's what allows me to reach the top with minimal (or no) wheezing.

If I know a hill is likely to cause a problem, I will use the rescue inhaler (1 puff) before I start the climb.

- Gray Trek Madone 4.7 road bike, mystery crack in top tube repaired by Calfee, Bontrager Affinity RXL saddle
    - Red Trek 6000 mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver Trek 2000 road bike
    - Two awesome and worn out Juliana saddles

I'm not sure this will help with asthma, since mine is very mild.

But you see the pros sticking out their tongues during hard climbs and sprints - this really helps open the airway. I used to do it while climbing all the time, until I started running and really developed my cardiopulmonary system.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler