Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

first time mt. bike shopping~ HELP!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Trek, Specialized, or Kona??

I'm having buyer's regret after ordering the Trek Mamba, am thinking to go back to the Specialized store and try them out again. The problem is our local Specialized dealer has so few models to test drive. I am looking for a nice bike at around 1k or a little more~ I want hydraulic brakes, easy shifting gears, good fork and suspension etc. I tried my BF's mamba, also new, and the gears were just groaning and clicking gong up the hill and it put us off a little, though granted we haven't ridden bikes forever and it took us awhile to get used to the modern gear system.

I like the basic Myka for it's WSD (though of course I want more bells and whistles), because it felt good to me, a natural fit. It was a 26er and I'm looking for 29, so I am now looking at the 2012 Jett comp 29. It's way more than I originally wanted to spend, but what the heck, I can see myself blowing that extra money on stupid stuff, this is a real investment that will have big payoff. Also we are considering exchanging our new Mambas for the Cobia.

Any input ladies? Let's say my cut-off is $1300, but if I can get great for cheaper all the better.

Any chance you can look at Giant? Giant has an excellent reputation for the most bang for the buck. Me, I go for what feels best, always. I don't get set on one brand or one particular component group. Fit and feel (frame) and then work out the details on which component group you want. No one brand is better than the others in that price range.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Thanks, I didn't see Giant locally, mainly Specialized, Cannondale, Norco, Scott, Kona and Janis (sp)?

I'm considering the Specialized Jett Comp 29 as it has hydraulic brakes and rockshox fork, the Myca Sport disk is cheaper but does not have those improvements... but the Jett 29 is $1350, pretty spendy for my first bike.... I'm alway OCD shopping a big ticket item :-$

+1 on Giants. Very good bang for the buck. Out of curiosity, why are you set on a 29er?

Focus on the fit and ride of the bike, above componentry. A lot of that can be upgraded over time as lesser parts wear out. As for shifting as you go uphill, part of that is technique. Ideally, you shift while at the same time briefly letting up pressure on the pedals. My guess is that you were shifting under load. Not even the nicest drivetrains like that.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by countrygirl View Post
    I like the basic Myka for it's WSD (though of course I want more bells and whistles), because it felt good to me, a natural fit. ...

Any input ladies? Let's say my cut-off is $1300, but if I can get great for cheaper all the better.
    Honestly? If you like the Myka, try a higher spec Myka. You can get 29er Mykas I believe. I ride the mens version - HardRock - and love it. It copes fine with muddy trails, puddled trails, bone dry trails. At the moment I have slicks on it for towing a child trailer. It's a lovely, lovely bike, fun like a skateboard, and I will only replace it when there is a Myka in a colour scheme that I like. Personally I'd go for 26 over 29 as I'd be concerned about a 29er being heavier and harder to manoevre in tight places. Good luck and have fun, whatever you choose.
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

Hi, thanks you guys,

Yes I think I will just get a higher end Myka, it did seem a good fit, and that's what all the LBS dealers say is most important as well...

Specialized in general seems a good fit for me but the WSD even more so. THe Trek we brought home is a very nice bike but doesn't 'fit' as well. Part of my preference for WSD Speicialized /Myka could be because I am so rusty on bikes (not for long though) and it just feels like I have more control and could hop off in a jiffy on a slightly smaller frame.

Anyway, gonna go with the Jett Comp 29, and yes I'm super torn about not getting the 26, I totally see it's charms and advnatages, but I have now ridden both out here and I think the Jett 29 will be agile enough, it tackles some of the steep ascents with more gusto for sure, plus I like the slightly more upright position you get on a 29. I'm hoping to pick up a used quality 26er in the future though, and just have both. With this big trend of people going towards the 29ers, there could be quite a few nice used 26ers on the market soon!

Unless you have endless tricky and tight switchbacks, I think the 29er will do just fine for you. The only time I have ever wished I was on a 26er was when I was riding in Colorado where switchbacks were frequent and tight.

I had a Myka (26er) as my first MTB. It was the gateway drug!

I'd recommend you get the best brakes and components you can afford. I had lots of trouble getting cheaper brakes to stay adjusted and quiet. I've found with more advanced brakes, I never have a problem.

I also notice that 10 speed is way nicer than 9 speed, which is way nicer than 8 speed, etc. Those extra gear ratios are very very helpful with climbing. I personally don't have the power to just push a higher gear at times. Having the RIGHT gear available can make or break a techy climb for me. It's not just about the highest and lowest ratios available, it's about having smaller increments between them.

I am one person that never misses my 26er. Most of my issues on a 29er are just needing more practice. I personally think my 29er handles tight switchbacks great but my 26er was a completely different geometry so it was sluggish turning compared to my race geometry 29er. Some of my friends can go between 26 and 29 but DH and I both did not like that. In fact he was going to keep his 26er but he disliked the feel so much after riding it while his 29er was in the shop he sold it. He also felt his bike handling was not as good on the 26er as the 29er. I just find I can't switch between different bikes easily mountain biking so for me I know the 26er would collect dust. Of course I didn't have the option to keep mine, it was completely damaged in a car wreck.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan