Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

XC Race last weekend

To disable ads, please log-in.

Fort Custer Stampede is fun because it has a bit of everything and it's almost all on single-track trails. This was my second race this season. I was looking forward to a competitive and fast ride. The women's fields are getting stronger and faster. You can not let-up on the crank for a second because its guaranteed there will be someone right behind you fighting to take your place. And that is exactly what went down on Sunday.

Four of us lead out the field in the first lap, keeping a good pace. About halfway through the loop the race takes you through a section known as the "Trenches," dug-out trenches once used as a training facility for combat troops. It's filled with tight, off-camber turns and whoop-de-doos. I cut one of the turns too wide and my front tire hit a tree dead-on, sending me into a flying endo, flipping over my handle-bars and landing on my head and shoulder.

I was shaky, but okay. I got back on my bike and started to roll on the trail. Unfortunately for me the trail immediately went up a sort-of narrow land bridge with a ravine on either side. As shaky as I was, I stumbled and ended up falling down the ravine. Which is typical for me. If there's a ravine to fall down, I will fall down it.

My crash gave the lead women a good gap and the chase was on! By the end of the first lap I had managed to get on the wheel of the third place woman, an acquaintance I've met through racing. She was currently in third place. I followed her pacing for the second and most of the third lap. At one point we were passed by another racer. With just 4 miles to the finish I decided to create a small gap behind her in order to enable myself to maintain momentum through a technical section of trail. She used this advantage to take off and I was not able to close the gap after that.

The top 3 places were filled by local riders. I finished in fifth place. I had a good race. I enjoyed my time out on the trail. It was scenic, the wildflowers were in blossom and the course took us past several lakes and over bridges. I could not have asked for a better day (other than not crashing).

My shoulder became increasingly painful throughout the day. Turns out I dislocated it. Fortunately its not too bad and I can get back to training in a few days.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

5th place with a dislocated shoulder?! Wow. Impressive!
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Wow; Limewave. You are one tenatious woman! If I hit a tree and/or fell down a ravine, I'd immediately return to my car wimpering. But not you! Not only did you stay in the race, you rode with what turned out to be a dislocated shoulder. Dang; you're tough.

I hope your shoulder feels better soon!
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Impressive!! great job with the crashing and dislocated shoulder!!!

Thanks everyone. Honestly, I didn't even realize my should was hurting. My first indication was right after the race when I tried to get undress and cleaned up. I had very little mobility and I ached. I just thought it was post-race hurt.

The course really was a lot of fun and I'm glad I was able to finish.

Both my kids did their first kids race this weekend too
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

Wow. You have heart. You can always work on not falling into ravines, but you heart is something you either have or you don't.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.