Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

/hijack

Also, thank you for using the term "plant-based diet." Veganism is about so much more than diet, and even as a non-vegetarian, it drives me absolutely NUTS when people use the word "vegan" when all they're talking about is food.

Okay, got it off my chest.

/hijack
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    There are a lot of professional athletes who do it very successfully (although I still can't come up with anyone other than Scott Jurek - help me out here ).
    Sorry- couldn't help myself:

Dave Zabriskie : professional cyclist(he was already mentioned)
    Brendan Brazier: Ironman triathlete
    Jane Black: has been a vegan since 1990 and has set many Masters National and World records in weightlifting
    Mac Danzig : is an American professional mixed martial arts fighter
    Keith Holmes: is an American professional boxer- world middleweight boxing champion
    Georges Laraque: professional ice hockey forward for the Montreal Canadiens
    Carl Lewis world famous track and Olympic medalist
    Patrick J. Neshek : is a Major League Baseball relief pitcher for the Minnesota Twins
    Prince Fielder: Milwaukee Brewers first baseman
    Tony Gonzalez: Tight End Atlanta Falcons NFL
    Martina Navratilova : professional tennis player
    Desmond Howard: Washington Redskins receiver
    John Salley : NBA (Bulls during the Jordan years- and Lakers)

and there are many more Surprisingly lots of bodybuilders/weightlifters.

And yes, I prefer plant-based diet over Vegan, but I consider myself to be a vegan since I have a deep compassion and love/care for the welfare of all animals and stay away from animal products outside of just food.

Quote Originally Posted by limewave View Post
    I don't think my husband could function on a vegetarian diet. He doesn't eat a lot of meat, but he needs to have it a few meals a week--his body craves it.
    Me either. Since I've gone to a plant-based diet, I think my DH has eaten my share of what little meat I ever ate. . Plus, he's always borderline anemic, and has a iron deficiency. If he were to give up meat (especially red meat), he'd probably pass out daily from lack of iron. He eats it at every meal. Our dieteary needs are SO very different. He eats a LOT more than me (and less healthy), so it's one of the reasons I got so overweight in the first place. He's a beanpole and I am not. Being vegan has helped a LOT with my weight management. Plus, is it bad that I cook for myself most of the time now? If I just want some hummus and veggies for dinner, I eat it- no more cooking big meals for us both.
    Last edited by Tri Girl; 05-09-2012 at 11:21 AM.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

I am just getting into biking but my husband has been doing it for a while now. We are both Vegan and have never looked or felt better. Happy to see others with similar diets that are cycling. Forks over knives is what got my husband to go vegan

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
    There's one called Appetite for Reduction by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. It's all whole food based with lots of whole grains, legumes, and veggies. It also has the nutritional information on all the recipes.
    This is an EXCELLENT resource. I love this book! I'm not vegan or vegetarian, but I am "meat lite", as in meat or seafood at dinner 1-3 times per week. Many many of my meals are vegetarian and not a small number are vegan. The recipes in this book are all very approachable, well flavored, and made out of generally common ingredients. I also appreciate that she doesn't use fake meats.

I've no ethical reasons for not eating much meat, but I do have plenty of environmental concerns surrounding the meat industry, so for me, "meat lite" is a good compromise. (And, I buy only organic meats, much of which is local.)
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

Quote Originally Posted by snyderd25 View Post
    ...I agree that the minute I decide to cut something out, it's the only thing I can think of eating! ...
    Like when you are staring down an obstacle, thinking "Don't ride through the glass" and then you keep watching as you ride right through the glass.

Focus on what you DO want.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

"Meat lite!" I like that! And I think that would be the ultimate goal so I don't feel deprived and restricted. I am disgusted with much of the food industry, particularly how livestock is treated, but buying grass-fed and free range can break the bank. I still think I'd be interested in a juice reboot after my big ride (I need to lay off cycling anyway because of golfer's and tennis elbow in both elbows-- apparently my bike is too small for me!), I should increase fruits, veggies, and beans in general, but then maybe be "meat and eggs lite" :-) I can start meat lite even before my ride. I just know I don't feel well now and when I go low carb, I feel really crappy, so I need to do something different.

I don't eat a lot of processed foods now, but I still consume too many calories through protein and fats (even if they're the healthy ones).

Why God couldn't have made me size 2 and blonde, I just don't know!

Thanks again for all of the insight!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE remember that a juice diet like the one in Fat Sick and Nearly Dead is NOT recommended to be followed for extended periods of time. Rather it's something you do in regular intervals around a normal eating schedule.
    Life in Miles - My journal-blog

I don't really have much to add -- my diet has been almost completely vegetarian in the past and these days most of my breakfasts and dinners are vegetarian, but that's mostly because I have unusual food preferences and don't really like to cook.

One piece of advice I do have is to be careful about increasing vegetables, fruits and beans -- if you're significantly increasing the amount of fiber in your diet, you'll want to do it gradually to avoid GI problems.

I guess another thing I would add is that a plant-based diet can still be very unhealthy (french fries are vegetarian!!), but since you're talking about cutting back on both protein and fats, you seem to already have that in mind.

Good luck!!
    Last edited by ny biker; 05-10-2012 at 02:30 PM.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    One piece of advice I do have is to be careful about increasing vegetables, fruits and beans -- if you're significantly increasing the amount of fiber in your diet, you'll want to do it gradually to avoid GI problems.

And carry lots of Beano with you!
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

Quote Originally Posted by VeganBikeChick View Post
    And carry lots of Beano with you!
    True fact.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Ugh... now I am watching "Veducated..." The food industry is awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
    This is such a great point. We try to eat a lot of vegetables and home cooked meals but I have several vegan friends who rely on meat/cheese substitutes and while those don't have the cholesterol and saturated fat that the real things do they still aren't what I would call healthy. I don't know what your meals are like now and if a plant-based diet would drastically change that or if you already eat a variety of veggies. Someone else mentioned checking out cookbooks from the library and I agree with that. There's one called Appetite for Reduction by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. It's all whole food based with lots of whole grains, legumes, and veggies. It also has the nutritional information on all the recipes.
    Thanks so much to you and Susan for a head's up on this book. It's now on my wish list. I am neither vegetarian nor vegan, but I try to make half of our weekly meals vegetarian, and many of them are vegan. I find myself in food ruts though, so this will help, especially with summer produce on the way.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    Thanks so much to you and Susan for a head's up on this book. It's now on my wish list. I am neither vegetarian nor vegan, but I try to make half of our weekly meals vegetarian, and many of them are vegan. I find myself in food ruts though, so this will help, especially with summer produce on the way.
    It really is a great book. You won't be disappointed.
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

I went vegetarian in January this year. I am still eating eggs, dairy and some fish (about twice a month on fish). I absolutely love eating this way. It has been very easy for me and I feel great.

Something that helped was already having a good repertoire of vegetarian recipes that I knew and liked. This way, I wasn't necessarily restricting one food group from my diet so much as I was expanding the amount of fruits, veggies and whole grains I eat, and I was eating familiar foods. I've been cooking out of the Moosewood Restaurant cookbooks for about a decade. When I bought the first one I actually didn't realize it was vegetarian until my mother visited and said something. The recipes are such that you simply don't miss the meat. I'm also enjoying Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything Vegetarian. The only time I ever even think about meat substitute is when we're grilling. I keep some meatless burgers from the freezer section around for that and tend to top them with things like guac, sprouts, spinach, etc. - I think of it as a salad on a bun.

I tracked about everything I at for around six weeks to make sure I was getting enough protein and not too much fiber (I used the myplate tool at livestrong.com) and started taking a vitamin B complex everyday because I'm not particularly good at working in eggs or cheese.

Beano doesn't do anything for me. I swear by Gasex. Gotta say, I was having some GI issues last year and they have completely, totally resolved with no thought on my part, probably because I'm eating way more fiber and less fat these days.

Funny, grilling doesn't make me crave meat at all ... all the high summer vegetables that are in season when it's warm enough to grill out are SO flavorful! Summer squashes (spears or chunks of zucchini or crookneck, or little pattypans whole), onions, sweet corn soaked in brine and grilled in the husk, tomatoes and green beans on a screen insert, potatoes, carrot slices, all just brushed with olive oil, salt and herbs ... I swear, my mouth is watering, I only just put my tomato plants in the ground three days ago, fewer than 1/4 of my beans have germinated, and the soil isn't even warm enough to plant sweet corn yet! How can I wait!!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler