Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    where the wind comes sweeping down the plain

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Funny, grilling doesn't make me crave meat at all ... all the high summer vegetables that are in season when it's warm enough to grill out are SO flavorful! Summer squashes (spears or chunks of zucchini or crookneck, or little pattypans whole), onions, sweet corn soaked in brine and grilled in the husk, tomatoes and green beans on a screen insert, potatoes, carrot slices, all just brushed with olive oil, salt and herbs ... I swear, my mouth is watering
    Now you're making MY mouth water!!! Mmmmmm...grilling veggies in the summertime= the BEST!!! I've never tried sweet corn soaked in brine and grilled in the husk. Might have to try that! (what is the brine recipe you use?)
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

I went totally plant-based last year after seeing a presentation on PBS by Dr Bonard. I was already eating mostly vegetables and a little bit of meat, so it wasn't much of a hardship to switch. I was clinically obese, and still am, so I'd have to say that going plant based isn't necessarily going to change that. My blood pressure is way down, so that is reason enough to stick with it. I do several centuries each summer, so it is definitely possible to fuel these efforts with plant based foods. I'd also point out that horses--the greatest endurance athletes in the world--can get fat by eating too much grass. So, the notion that animal based proteins are necessary for performance is clearly not true, but also this demonstrates that weightloss will not naturally happen just by going vegan.

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba

Funny, grilling doesn't make me crave meat at all ...
    I never crave meat. However, when we are grilling hamburgers for everyone else they get distressed that I'm not having one. The veggie burgers are more of a social remedy than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Girl View Post
    (what is the brine recipe you use?)
    I've never seasoned it at all, just throw a few tablespoons of salt into the water so it's salty enough to season the corn a little bit and moisten the husks for grilling, but not enough to draw moisture out. Now I'm trying to think what else I might put in the brine!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    I've never seasoned it at all, just throw a few tablespoons of salt into the water so it's salty enough to season the corn a little bit and moisten the husks for grilling, but not enough to draw moisture out. Now I'm trying to think what else I might put in the brine!
    Thanks! Never thought about it being that easy! How long do you soak it?

Sorry for the thread hijack, here.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Girl View Post
    Thanks! Never thought about it being that easy! How long do you soak it?

Sorry for the thread hijack, here.
    Couple-three hours. Hey, corn is a plant.

Funny, grilling doesn't make me crave meat at all ... all the high summer vegetables that are in season when it's warm enough to grill out are SO flavorful! Summer squashes (spears or chunks of zucchini or crookneck, or little pattypans whole), onions, sweet corn soaked in brine and grilled in the husk, tomatoes and green beans on a screen insert, potatoes, carrot slices, all just brushed with olive oil, salt and herbs ... I swear, my mouth is watering, I only just put my tomato plants in the ground three days ago, fewer than 1/4 of my beans have germinated, and the soil isn't even warm enough to plant sweet corn yet! How can I wait!!
    Drool. Drizzle cut-up onions (I slice them into crescents) and sliced potatoes with olive oil, add salt + pepper. Wrap in aluminum foil. Grill. Enjoy.

I'm not vegetarian or vegan (I seem to have oddly high protein needs, and I don't like most legumes or quinoa, so it's far simpler just to eat meat), but I'm always on the lookout for veggie recipes!
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    Drool. Drizzle cut-up onions (I slice them into crescents) and sliced potatoes with olive oil, add salt + pepper. Wrap in aluminum foil. Grill. Enjoy.
    For extra deliciousness, alternate the slices of onion and potato so each takes on the flavor of the other.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 05-12-2012 at 04:16 PM.

For extra deliciousness, alternate the slices of onion and potato so each takes on the flavor of the other.
    That's pretty much what happens. Haven't made it in ages, though, since my dad's grilling experiments have taken over...
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    In the vegetable world, it would be useful to really expand one's repetoire of veggies. There's a whole world of veggies from Asian cuisines where if one likes exploring new corners of their world, to try:

fresh water chestnuts
    fresh lotus root
    daikon (white radish root)
    gai lan
    shanghai choy
    bok choy
    bitter melon
    winter melon/fuzzy melon
    and 3 other Asian veggies which I don't know the English translation. But they are available in major supermarkets.
    _____________________ All of these above can be lightly stir fried, chopped up in various combinations. It's not that hard nor mysterious.

Try:
    fresh fennel bulb
    beet greens
    brussel sprouts,etc.

I rarely eat potatoes. It's not my thing. That's all.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 05-12-2012 at 06:34 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Major supermarkets where there's a large east Asian population I suppose. We can get bok choy and daikon and sometimes yukina savoy locally in season, bok choy reliably at the grocery store and daikon occasionally, and that's it. Any of the other vegetables it's 70 miles to the nearest Asian grocery, and there, if the vegetables are even labelled as to where they were grown, it's in a language I can't begin to read.

I do love bitter melon though...

Joining a CSA is as great way to expand your repertoire of vegetables - you have to eat them whether you think you like them, or know how to cook them, or not.

Then there's just planting something to find out what the heck it is. I've got a short row of salsify just sprouting. My soil is pretty clayey and root vegetables don't typically do all that well, but I was tired of looking at the stuff in seed catalogs and having no idea what it tastes like. (Especially when some people describe the flavor as "oyster" and others as "artichoke hearts." )
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 05-13-2012 at 02:43 AM.

I've been trying to get a new veggie every week that I've not eaten before. This week it was Green Kohlrabi - surprisingly tasty both raw and roasted, there seemed a hint of horseradish. This is how I've discovered and come quickly to prefer Bok Choy and Watercress. I did save the greens from the Kohlrabi as I assume they are edible but I need to look that up.

I wasn't quite brave enough for the Daikon radish, I don't care for regular radishes for some odd reason. I do enjoy spice and horseradish so I really should like them...

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I did save the greens from the Kohlrabi as I assume they are edible but I need to look that up.
    I remember looking it up. I don't recall it being ok to eat the kohlrabi greens.

Ah I forgot about that veggie of my childhood. My parents grew a whole garden of it! Rediscovered with my partner. A sample of how I prepare kohl rabi..

Daikon, cooked will not taste "spicy" which I never thought the daikon I bought tasting spicy raw compared to the red radishes.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Kohlrabi is a cole vegetable, and the greens are edible, but they're usually very tough. (Easily tested with a nibble.) The smaller inner greens are more likely to be tender. If the greens are as tough as usual, you can shred them and toss them in a stew where they'll cook for a while. Or just put them in the freezer for stock with the rest of your vegetable scraps.

My CSA posted a recipe for daikon pancakes, basically the same as zucchini pancakes. They were yummy, and you're right, cooking does take a lot of the bite out of the radish. I'm not a big radish fan so I was happy for that recipe. I ended up throwing all my red radishes into soups, too.

One thing I won't eat is radish greens. Yuk. I just put those in the compost heap.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 05-13-2012 at 05:10 AM.

Thanks for the tip re: kohlrabi greens - I was going to check it out before I tried it I will just add them to my freezer bag of stuff for vegetable stock.