Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: May Running

May Running

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm starting the thread?
    I did my first continuous 2.5 mile run on the TM this morning. Just too wet, dark, and rainy to go outside. Pace between 9:28 and 10:00.
    Why do I sweat so much inside? It really overheats me and ruins it!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Crankin, I end up dripping with sweat on the treadmill too. Wish there was some way to set up a big fan so the sweat would evaporate better, but there at the gym there's no way... Rather than go to the treadmill, this morning's run was short, just 3 miles, in between rain showers. But this front's bringing cooler weather for the rest of the week, so it's worth it.

Saturday I got my first trophy ever-- way cool! 2nd overall women, in a very small 5k. So small that I was the only one in my age group. (There was another race in town that morning, a 5k/10k/15k, that drew a big crowd). I'm not all that happy with my time (26:59), but then I was completely alone with no one in sight for the last 2 miles. It's hard for me to push the pace with no one to chase or hold off. And I was having some trouble reading the signs marking the turns, too. But it was fun, ran into some old friends I hadn't seen in years.

Nice job skhill! Congratulations on the hardware.

I try to avoid cardio machines as much as humanly possible, but at the gym I usually put a couple of sweat towels on the floor on either side of me to soak up the puddles. Yeah, I sweat that much inside.

In other hardware news, revised results have me eleven seconds out of an AG award in last week's marathon. Eleven seconds. I probably had that much in me, especially roundabout mile 25 when I really slowed down into the wind and wasn't feeling confident enough to start a kick yet. Grrrrrrrrr.

Anyway I got out yesterday for an easy four and a half, first run since the race. I'd been feeling plenty able to run since Wednesday or so, but I had a lot of stuff to do in the garden, did the club ride on Saturday which wound up 12 miles farther than anyone had planned for , and just generally figured I didn't need to run until I really started missing it. Yesterday morning I had a choice between some more gardening before my PT appointment and the afternoon rain, and a run, and I chose to run. It felt pretty good in spite of the sore adductors from the bike, and I saw another fox!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Made it out for 7 miles. Originally I should of done 9, but after last weeks 8 miles that defeated me I decided I might need to spend more time with middle mileage before going for 9 or 10. It was a good decision. My pace (although not spectacular) was the goal I set for today and did it! Probably could of done another mile, but it was nice to finish strong. Off to the beach for vaca w/ parents and sister. So it will be short runs, but then maybe I can work on speed a bit!

K
    katluvr

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    In other hardware news, revised results have me eleven seconds out of an AG award in last week's marathon. Eleven seconds. I probably had that much in me, especially roundabout mile 25 when I really slowed down into the wind and wasn't feeling confident enough to start a kick yet. Grrrrrrrrr.
    Been there, done that. Boy, does it stink. But it feels pretty good when you're on the other side of that sort of thing!

Oak, you should still be proud. Of course, this is coming from totally non-competitive me.
    I was running on the TM at home. It's up in our loft, so it's like an attic. It was 49 out, so I opened the window next to me, but it did nothing. The central AC does nothing to cool this room, so we have floor unit in addition. I guess I will use it next time.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Even in an air-conditioned gym, I always sweated like crazy running on a treadmill, Crankin, so you are not alone. The only things I could find to help were to wear a Halo headband AND run a ceiling fan right above my head AND have a bandanna at the handy to wipe sweat off as it dripped down my face and neck.

I am a BIG sweater. This is why I simply cannot tolerate running right now in Belize. It's extremely humid and 85+ degrees even by 6:30 am now. The sun rises at 5:20 am. It's dry season, so I can't run in the rain, which would be better than in the blistering sun.

I feel so guilty for falling off my regime as I'd been pretty consistently running 3x a week (3-4+ miles) for months until sometime in April. To make matters worse, a new friend of mine who recently moved here used to run marathons and is having no problems running in this heat. I wish I didn't feel competitive with her, but I do. It's really crazy. She's just a much better runner than me and seems to handle the heat better (she's from Mississippi, which may have a lot to do with it). I've never run > 5 miles in my life, and she just went out and ran 6 this morning with no problems (other than sweating a lot).

Urghhhhh...what I wouldn't give for an air-cond'd room with a treadmill about right now!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    Even in an air-conditioned gym, I always sweated like crazy running on a treadmill, Crankin, so you are not alone. The only things I could find to help were to wear a Halo headband AND run a ceiling fan right above my head AND have a bandanna at the handy to wipe sweat off as it dripped down my face and neck.

I am a BIG sweater. This is why I simply cannot tolerate running right now in Belize. It's extremely humid and 85+ degrees even by 6:30 am now. The sun rises at 5:20 am. It's dry season, so I can't run in the rain, which would be better than in the blistering sun.

I feel so guilty for falling off my regime as I'd been pretty consistently running 3x a week (3-4+ miles) for months until sometime in April. To make matters worse, a new friend of mine who recently moved here used to run marathons and is having no problems running in this heat. I wish I didn't feel competitive with her, but I do. It's really crazy. She's just a much better runner than me and seems to handle the heat better (she's from Mississippi, which may have a lot to do with it). I've never run > 5 miles in my life, and she just went out and ran 6 this morning with no problems (other than sweating a lot).

Urghhhhh...what I wouldn't give for an air-cond'd room with a treadmill about right now!
    You sound a lot like me. As I have stated before I do not function well at all in the heat and humidity...or just plain heat for that matter. I am not even a member of a gym because I find them too hot and stuffy.

I would not worry about falling off your regime....running there this time of year must be very difficult. I will try to send some cool CO weather your way. I went for a 4.5 mile run and the weather was nice..sunny, low humitidity and temps in the low 70s.

I wonder if I will be able to keep running outside when summer heats up. In the past, I haven't been able to tolerate anything over 70! I love running at 50 degrees or so. I was able to build up my tolerance to riding in 80+ degree temperatures, so I guess I can do it with running. When I first started riding, I would go to spin on any day it was hot and humid. Now, I would at least go out early in the AM, for a short ride, but after riding in southern Spain in May, I can just about do anything.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    I have to keep running outside in the growing heat and humidity if I intend to do some events I signed up for in July and August. And like others, I'm a sweater. None of this "glow" stuff here! For me, it's a matter of acclimating slowly and drinking lots of electrolytes.

I did my first run with my new orthotics this morning....2.4 miles. I picked them up last Friday - and have been walking around in them to get used to them. They actually felt better running than just walking around. I have a track workout with my club tomorrow, so we'll see how it goes. I think they should be good and ready to go for my race on Saturday.

Now...if only I were ready for the race!
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I wonder if I will be able to keep running outside when summer heats up. In the past, I haven't been able to tolerate anything over 70! I love running at 50 degrees or so. I was able to build up my tolerance to riding in 80+ degree temperatures, so I guess I can do it with running.
    I will be very interested to hear if you can, because I can ride in just about anything -- used to have to ride in temps up to 95 (and humid) in NC in the summer. But I cannot seem to acclimate to running in 85-degree (and even more humid) down in Belize.

I guess it's because running is much more of an effort for me (no coasting, no downhills) and because I create a breeze when cycling that I can't create running at my pace!

Part of it is just willpower. I just can't motivate myself to go do something so unpleasant as running in this heat. But that is because it makes me absolutely miserable physically.
    Emily

After all the talk here about heat, we had an unseasonably cool morning today, just 45F. Woohoo! Broke out a lightweight long-sleeve shirt and mittens again, and it was lovely. It was interesting to see how other runners out there dressed for the weather; I saw one young woman in tights + tank top + winter cap! Felt so good that I tacked on an extra mile at the end of the run, going 7 miles in 1:03. It's just so much easier to go fast in these conditions, the heat really slows me down...

I'm getting back into running again. Worked so hard as a newbie runner last fall/winter only to have it fall by the wayside. (depression/dating issues)

Ran for 20 min on the treadmill today in our building's exercise room. Which leads me to a rant - there are 3 awesome ceiling fans in there which I love to have on, but if someone's already in the room, they never turn them on. It gets hot in there! I wish I could just turn on the d*mn things without feeling obligated to ask the other person every time. This particular person had all the windows of the room open, so I don't think he would have minded.

/rant over
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

Just ask him, VBC! I had the same issue in our gym at work. If the first person on the treadmills did not have the fan on (there was only one), I would ask if I could turn it on. I really needed that fan. No one ever said no. That said, it was usually already on!
    Emily

Not a run, but we did about a 5 mile hike at the Colorado Monument. Thankfully, it's a bit cooler than yesterday, about 79-81 and by the end of the hike, storm clouds were moving in. There was a rumble of thunder, so we turned around then.
    Most of the hike was fairly easy, but there was some rock scrambling near the turn around and a couple of descents with loose sand. Whatever altitude symptoms I was having disappeared by the end of the hike, but we slowed the pace from the usual. Glad I decided to hike and not run.
    I can't get my pictures from the photo stream on my phone to download, so I will post them when I get home.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura