Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: May Running

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Wear the socks, Susan.
    So, my 5K is tomorrow. Weather forecast at the start: 55, showers, chance of heavy downpours/thunderstorms.
    Lovely. What should I wear?
    Only thing I'd do differently than everyone else has suggested, is short sleeves and arm warmers rather than a long-sleeved tech tee. But that's just me - I hate long sleeves pushed up that keep falling down, and I HATE having fabric bunched in my sweaty elbows

Good luck!

----------------------------------------------

I'm also a human popsicle - one of the reasons I don't swim - and I want to learn. Looks like I'm going to have to remember to ask about tips to keep warm when I do. Haven't gotten in a pool since I developed Raynaud's.

----------------------------------------------

Supposed to run 12 tomorrow. I have a cold. So far, just painful ears and a stuffy nose, so hopefully I can slog through it (or at least most of it), if just slower than usual. And since no one offered any food suggestions for the "potluck," I bought Nutter Butters. If no one eats them...more for me!!

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

OK, well, it's all a moot point.
    Right after I wrote my last post last night, my eyes started itching and nose running. By 8 PM, it was a full blown allergy attack, or something. I took a Claritin and went to bed. Then my muscles started aching like crazy. I had a pretty bad night.
    I woke up and it's not just raining. It's pouring. If I felt better, I might have done it, but... I am trying to be good and not do anything to make me sicker. Since I considered doing this run as a "gift" to my friend who is the development officer at the hospital, she will appreciate my entry fee as a donation. We are going out to dinner with them tonight, and I have to rest up for that ... priorities, right?
    Seriously, I took an Advil and I am still sneezing and achy. Probably all of that yellow stuff I breathed in on my ride with Hirakukibou yesterday.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Susan you make me laugh, as I quote you : My legs are "stout" and I feel really goofy wearing an outfit that basically just exposes my knees. The pros can look cool doing it, but as a short, stout, back-of-the-pack, middle-aged female, I feel a bit silly."

I am 4 foot 10 inches tall with legs like tree trunks and I'm slow. So I am sure I was not very athletic looking or attractive...off course all was doing was running through the rain and puddles. I have NEVER done knee socks. Just the fact that you do all you do I think that makes up for looking silly. Of course I DO understand how you feel! I just gave up all vanity for running! Do/wear what you need to and kick some middle age butt!

K
    katluvr

I did it. I dragged myself out of bed and got through 12 this morning. My nose is still running, my head still hurts, and my ears are still clogged, but I don't really feel any worse off for doing it. And I slowed down a little, but not as much as I was expecting. After about 10 miles I caught up to one of our coaches, who ran a marathon 4 months ago at my goal pace for this year so I was pretty happy.

Also, random tidbit of info, I was looking for music for my ipod last night since I knew I wouldn't be with my usual running buddy. NPR has a ton of free concerts on itunes that I just discovered. Pretty neat.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Crankin, so sorry you are feeling bad -- if your muscles ached too, it almost sounds like the flu or at least a bad cold, not just allergies.

Sorry you were unable to do the 5K. Maybe try for one in the fall?
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Aw bummer, Crankin. Hope you feel better soon.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

No, I didn't have the flu. It's part of my fibromyalgia/immune whatever response to whenever I get sick. I've had this for about 25 years... whenever I get sick, usually at the end of the illness, I get these muscle aches on one side of my body. Yeah, it's weird, and no one can figure it out, but I take it as knowing my body is fighting off something. This came on quickly, was definitely allergy related. The aches were on both sides of the body, which was a little different, and very intense. They were pretty much gone by 6 PM last night. Still not 100%, but good enough to do an easy ride today, as it's going to be raining for the next 3 days.
    I highly suspect this is my body's way of telling me I'm over training. Thursday, I rode to the gym, did an intense circuit training class, rode home (total of about 16 miles), and then did a 3 mile walk with a client at the end of the day. Friday I rode 38.5 miles, and while it was a social ride, it wasn't super slow, and it was hilly.
    The run went well, according to my friend, despite the rain. I may try to do another 5K later in the year, but I am done with running until the fall. Well, maybe some trail runs .
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I have not gone for a run for some time due to various reasons..but today I was able to sneak in a 60 min run which felt pretty good. I got up early and was running by 6am to beat the heat It was such a beautiful morning and so quiet. I was suprised that I was able to run that long because yesterday I went on a mtn bike ride (18 miles) and it was my first time out on my bike since last year..not including my short bike commute to/from work. Maybe there is something to drinkng that chocolate milk after my ride..