Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: May Running

To disable ads, please log-in.

FINALLY! After a month of HOT HOT HOT temperatures that I just couldn't motivate myself to run in (83+ at 6:30 am), our weather changed. It rained most of the night, and this morning was spitting rain with a temperature of 76 degrees! I know it may seem amazing, but that actually feels cool here. I laced up my running shoes for the first time since April 18th and went out for a beach run. Figured on just two miles since it had been so long, but I felt so good in the overcast cool, I went three.

Have felt fantastic all day -- I've missed this! I will be taking advantage of rainy season weather to run as much as I can.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

The day before yesterday it rained the whole day and the streets were full of puddles. I decided to run! I run every other year so this year happened my running. I ran for 30 minutes and I did 5 km. Two days after this and my legs still hurt like hell when walking. Amazingly, I'm ok with riding a bike!
    I enjoyed running but I don't have proper shoes: I ran in my five tens

Emily, that's awesome! So that's a May cold snap in your tropical paradise!

Today made up for yesterday's crappy attempt at speedwork. I did 2 quick miles on the streets, then stopped by the track for some intervals. 4 quarter miles (it's a very old track), all of them between 1:45 and 1:50! Then I was going to take it easy on the way home, but kept on speeding up. What fun!

But if I'm going to get in a long run this week, it'll have to be tomorrow, the weekend is so full. The weather looks perfect for running/ riding/ hiking/ etc on the weekend, so of course I'll be inside doing other things...

Quote Originally Posted by skhill View Post
    Emily, that's awesome! So that's a May cold snap in your tropical paradise!
    Thanks, skhill -- funny, isn't it!? All depends on what you're used to.

My right quad (but not my left, oddly) is super sore today. And my run is close to flat, just a few little rises here and there. As much as I ride, I am very surprised that I would get a sore quad from not running for a month. But that just shows that I need to be running! It appears that our rainy season may be starting early, and if so, I will take full advantage. Rain = cooler temps = gray, cloudy skies = the only weather I can seem to run in without DYING here.
    Emily

Got through 10 this morning, nice and cool and drizzly. And HILLY. With one soul-sucking 3-ish mile stretch down the same awful road. I knew once we crossed 1st ave that it was just a mile and a half left on that one, but it seemed like an eternity before we even got to a street I could start counting at. Five weeks til the first half marathon.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    So maybe the experienced runners here can help me out.

Yesterday - I did 57 very flat, moderately paced miles (17.5 mph average) on the TT bike out on the Eastern Shore, followed immediately with 0.9 miles of running at a <10 mm pace (I was in a rush and needed to get home - plus, it was less than one mile and flat). Drove home, gnoshing on a PB/Nutella sammy with mixed nuts and the last of my HEED. Sipped water the rest of the afternoon at a pre-triathlon expo where I was minding the table for my tri club. Was STARVING by the time I left - to the point where I was starting to get a headache. Had a big burrito dinner takeout from the local hole-in-the wall Mexican place (mmmm!).

This morning, coffee, 8 oz. Muscle Milk light, and 1 slice of WW toast with Nutella before heading out the door for a 5 mile run with my club. Downed a Rocktane gel about 10 minutes before the run. Sipped NUUN-spiked water the whole way. Was warm - we ran on a shaded MUT. At the end, wile we were all stretching (after we walked a bit to cool down), I blossomed in sweat (not surprising), got a bit chilled (also not surprising), and started to feel a bit light-headed. That part got me a bit worried. Felt like my blood pressure bottomed out (Avg. HR for today's run, was 149 with a max of 176 - although I feel anything off this Garmin is suspect, and no...I don't have calculated VOmax or HR zones. But those numbers don't seem unreasonable for me. Today was a LSD run and we just went at a pace where we could talk the whole way - and boy, did we talk the whole way! Our run leader makes sure of it - she's a chatty one! Love it. ).

So, my run leader thinks I didn't recover well from yesterday's effort -- which was probably a 6 on a perceived exertion scale to 10. Moderately hard, not crazy hard. She thought I needed to eat more and drink more electrolytes. She actually said "Hellloooooo???? You rode 57 miles yesterday!!" So I immediately pulled out a 230 calorie Hammer bar to her satisfaction and ate it (it was delish - like a Lara bar but softer!).

So...any issues with light headedness after a run that you can tell me about? I'm thinking I'm just needing to acclimate to the increasingly warm temps (60, but you could really feel the heat when in the sun), and keep up the LSD with lots of electrolytes. I think it's just a matter of time and eventually I'll be able to do a warm summer run okay. Thoughts?
    Last edited by 7rider; 05-20-2012 at 07:40 AM.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

I think you pretty much figured it out. About 12 hours after my ten miler yesterday (which wasn't warm at all, but humid for here) I was standing in line at the liquor store (no comments! ) and started feeling...awful. Light-headed, too hot, broke out in a sweat, you name it. Just sort of bonked standing still. I grabbed a soda from the case by the register and barely made it to the register before I had to drink some. I was fine a few minutes later.

Recap on recent runs:
    This past Sat. 10 miles. Felt good first half, struggled 2nd half. Don't think I am getting enough mid week runs. Quads trashed...I mean I was really sore. Not sure why I my quads are so sore lately with my runs. Couple possibilities: not enough mileage during week/consitency running, or maybe it is because my shorter runs are in my barefoot shoes. Still in reg running shoes for longer runs but I am now more forefoot striking. Any thoughts.

Monday: ran after work. You may recall I suck at running in evening and after work. Did manage to go out in the heat (feels like an oven) and tough out 3.5 miles. Not exceptional pace, but got it done.

Today: 5 mile progression run. I felt good and increased pace quicker and more than originally planned. So I was pleased with surpassing my "goal". Working hard right now to get on track with my training plan as Pikes Peak is in 87 days!

Question: Do you run in compression socks/sleeves? I have a pair of compression sleeves (calf ones without feet). I wear them after long runs and even sleep in then after hard workouts/long runs to help prevent restless leg syndrome. I never have run in them. It is so hot, the thought of having "knee socks" on makes me hot! But I a seriously thinking of wearing them tomorrow on my 12 mile run. Will that help prevent my quad soreness? Thoughts?

I also think I will hit a couple local running shoe stores to look for a shoe somewhere between my traditional shoe I wear for my long runs and my minimalist shoe. I just have not worked up the mileage in my Bare Access and worry of jumping from 5 miles (I ran in them today--love them) and wearing them for 12 miles tomorrow. Or does to matter now, I run 3- 5 mile runs in them all the time. I do think they make me work harder since there is not cushion or "bounce" in them.

Kay
    katluvr

Quote Originally Posted by katluvr View Post

Question: Do you run in compression socks/sleeves? I have a pair of compression sleeves (calf ones without feet). I wear them after long runs and even sleep in then after hard workouts/long runs to help prevent restless leg syndrome. I never have run in them. It is so hot, the thought of having "knee socks" on makes me hot! But I a seriously thinking of wearing them tomorrow on my 12 mile run. Will that help prevent my quad soreness? Thoughts?
    Calf sleeves (footless) should be used ACTIVELY only. For recovery (or active), you should wear compression socks.

Calf sleeves used for recovery will tend to promote swelling in your feet.
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

Good 50-minute-ish trail run yesterday...in 92 degree weather. Ugh. No shade on that trail, either. My quads asked for a day off today so we just did Pilates

I ran with a client today . Thankfully, she's a 16 year old recovering smoker, who told me I ran fast.
    I am not used to running late in the day, in the sun. I was dying, but I think we did about 2 miles, with another mile or so of walking for warm up and cool down.
    I hope she doesn't expect this every week .
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Wish I could just flip some internal switch and adjust to running in summer heat. It was in the upper 60s with plenty of humidity when I went out at dawn today. Took it easy, just 4.5 miles. Of course, the weekend is supposed to be even hotter, so the long run might not be so long.

Just signed up for a neat 5k in a couple weeks-- it's on one of the runways at our local airport! Certainly a unique location for a run, and it's probably going to be the flattest race I've ever done.

I would die for upper 60s! Have not been able to run this week at all -- just too hot.
    Emily

I was thinking about you, Emily when I was running yesterday. It was only about 78, with a nice breeze, but it was all unshaded and I didn't have water. My client runs very slowly, so I could take walk breaks and keep up, but I just wanted to get it over with! I get this certain feeling in my head, not dizzy, but weird.
    I really don't like to run when it's over 62 or so.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

This morning, my training plan said "30 minutes easy. Then 5 miles at 150bpm. 1hr 10 min". I laughed out loud. Under no circumstances can I run 5 miles in 40 minutes and *certainly* not at 150bpm.

All in, 7.75 miles in 1:24. I think I averaged 10:46/mile for the 5 miles at 150bpm. I'd have to run 8 minute miles to do that distance in 40 minutes! Seriously, I don't know what my coach was thinking.
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592