Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Specialized Dolce good for paved bike trail?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have been riding a cheap walmart bike on a paved bike trail. I do about 20 miles at a time. I now know its something I really enjoy and going to keep with. I have been looking at the specialized dolce and wondering if thats good. I am 5'3 and 100 lbs so I know I want something designed for women. I do not plan on racing. Its a more for enjoyment and fitness. Also my bike trail takes me from my small town to a busier downtown area I like to go to. I know I am jumping all over the place sorry I am a bit excited

Hi, welcome!

I'm pretty much a newbie, too, but have already learned a lot from reading the different threads here. I do know that you should try out different bikes if you can. The Dolce may be your bike, but don't be afraid to try out other models and brands if you can find dealers in your area that carry your size. I thought I wanted a Ruby, but it ended up feeling all wrong.

Have fun and enjoy! I've only been riding a couple months, and am having a ball.
    2013 Kirk Frameworks JK Special/Selle Anatomica
    2012 Gunnar Sport/Brooks B17
    2001 Calfee Tetra Pro/Selle Anatomica
    1984 Raleigh Sport/Brooks B66

If the Dolce fits, it's perfect for your needs.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

A lot of bike stores will steer you towards "comfort" bikes or hybrids when you tell them you mainly want to ride on bike trails for recreation. Those who want to go fast and like a more aerodynamic/aggressive ride tend to go towards road bikes with drop handles. Drop handles do have the advantage of giving you more hand positions for long rides.
    What does all that mean - it means you can get any bike you want for whatever riding you want really. But, you might also want to consider what type of riding you want to do. Do you want to be more upright and comfortable? = hybrid or comfort bike. Do you want to go fast and/or have a desire to ride with a bike club = road bike. Do you want to some time take your bike on a dirt trail up a mountain = mountain bike.
    But, I go back to my statement that any bike you want will work. Get what makes you happy and is comfortable. The only time I worry about if a bike is "right" is if I'm considering taking a bike on a dirt trail - then a road bike is not ideal.
    All that being said - I got a Dolce as my first road bike and am pretty happy with it. It has allowed me to put in more miles than I had ever considered before and I feel like a champion on it most days.
    Savra

2006 Specialized Dolce Elite/Specialized Stock Saddle
    2011 Surly LHT/Brooks S Flyer

Yes, the Dolce would be a fine bike for paved paths. I really like the geometry of the Specialized WSD frames. You will love having a decent bike after riding your Wallyworld one!

Thank you for your replies. My husband and I rode our bikes to the bike shop today and looked at the specialized. He is leaning that way too. It was raining so we didnt get to test ride them. We are going back on Thursday. I loved the shop's feel and everyone was so helpful. Not at all the experience we had at the LBS that handles Trek. I also love that I can ride my bike to the shop. Getting so excited! Did 30 miles today on my cheap bike can not wait to see if a road bike will tackle more miles with ease.

I have Giant's equivalent of the Dolce (but the Dolce fits me better!), and I ride it on paved bike paths all the time. In fact, I prefer it to riding on the road!
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I have a Specialized Dolce... I got it 5 years ago for a triathlon and have ridden sporadically until this year. It certainly served me well, but now that my needs have changed and I am riding longer distances, I am ready for a carbon frame and some better components.

So... if you think you'll stick to the trail and rides under 30-40 miles, I can't recommend the Dolce enough... but if you think you will start riding longer distances, you may want to consider a different model.

I have an '09 Dolce Elite and it's great on paved roads. I tried a number of different models a few years ago; this was the bike that kept putting a big grin on my face. (We will need to see photos when you've made your purchase.)

1990 Univega Alpina/(stock) gel saddle
    2009 Specialized Dolce Elite/BG Lithia saddle
    2009 Jamis Coda Sport/Selle Royale Respiro saddle
    2010 Jamis Aurora/Jamis Touring Sport saddle

The Dolce is a great bike. It was my first road bike back in 2005 and I rode a couple of centuries on her. I did replace it with a Specialized Ruby after putting 4,000 miles on her but then won one in a raffle use it as my secondary/trainer bike. Anyway, the Dolce certainly is a great bike to ride on paved roads and although the Ruby is more comfortable to ride longer distances, the Dolce really was a good bike for that also.
    2012 Specialized Amira S-Works
    2012 Vita Elite
    2011 Specialized Dolce Elite (raffle prize) - Riva Road 155
    Ralaigh Tara Mtn Bike

Quote Originally Posted by LivinOurLuvSong View Post
    Thank you for your replies. My husband and I rode our bikes to the bike shop today and looked at the specialized. He is leaning that way too. It was raining so we didnt get to test ride them. We are going back on Thursday. I loved the shop's feel and everyone was so helpful. Not at all the experience we had at the LBS that handles Trek. I also love that I can ride my bike to the shop. Getting so excited! Did 30 miles today on my cheap bike can not wait to see if a road bike will tackle more miles with ease.
    HA! I just had to comment that for whatever reason I've had the same experience, the Trek shop people (2 stores) were just not at all very friendly or helpful, really off-putting actually... and the Specialized fellas have all been so nice, genuine and down to earth. I'm psyched I just bought a Specialized for my first mountain bike because now I will be dealing with them for my bike's needs... and I feel sorry for my BF, his new TRek Cobia is no doubt a great bike but now he has to deal with those Trek shop guys foreveeeer!! LOL! I tried to get him to check out Specialized bikes more seriously but... we like what we like.

Hmm Country Girl your not located in South Carolina are you lol?

SO today I bought my Specialized Dolce!! So excited test rode her and it was just a wonderful feeling of this is the one I am guessing I am going to need some shorts with that seat though..

Thank you everyone for your replies it made me even more confident in my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jo-n-NY View Post
    The Dolce is a great bike. It was my first road bike back in 2005 and I rode a couple of centuries on her. I did replace it with a Specialized Ruby after putting 4,000 miles on her but then won one in a raffle use it as my secondary/trainer bike. Anyway, the Dolce certainly is a great bike to ride on paved roads and although the Ruby is more comfortable to ride longer distances, the Dolce really was a good bike for that also.
    This is almost exactly what I did when I got into road biking - except my mileage is lower than Jo-n-NY's (and I never won a bike raffle!)

I rode a Dolce for a few years and it served me well. I enjoyed riding it so much I started doing longer rides and signing up for event rides, and eventually upgraded to a Ruby which I absolutely love. So if the Dolce fits and feels good, it will be a great recreational ride for you.

Edited to add: Ah, I see you bought it - congrats!! I think you will have many happy hours with that bike. Enjoy!
    Last edited by ZenBiker; 05-10-2012 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Update
    Road bike: Specialized Ruby Comp (2011)
    Commuter: Salsa Vaya (2012)

Quote Originally Posted by LivinOurLuvSong View Post
    Hmm Country Girl your not located in South Carolina are you lol?

SO today I bought my Specialized Dolce!! So excited test rode her and it was just a wonderful feeling of this is the one I am guessing I am going to need some shorts with that seat though..

Thank you everyone for your replies it made me even more confident in my choice.
    Lol, no I'm on the west coast, but apparently we live parallel lives in a twi-light zoney kinda way, lol. Oh, and I just ordered my first Specialized bike too, big congrats on your new bike! High fives!

Congrats on your new bike! Definitely get some shorts and don't be afraid to try out different saddles if the one that came with the bike brings you more pain than just getting used to it brings. Wishing you many happy, safe miles!
    2013 Kirk Frameworks JK Special/Selle Anatomica
    2012 Gunnar Sport/Brooks B17
    2001 Calfee Tetra Pro/Selle Anatomica
    1984 Raleigh Sport/Brooks B66