Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Congratulations! Enjoy your new ride +1 to shorts, and think about changing the saddle if it doesn't work for you.
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

Thanks Ladies! I am about to go for my first ride on it. I ended up getting some hincapie shorts. The store isnt too far from my house and they seemed like good quality. I will have to take some pictures

So I went for a 10 mile ride yesterday. My shoulder, elbows, and wrist were sore. Rode 20 miles today not as sore but it was there and palms were really red. The LBS said to ride a while before the fitting. So I am thinking of going in this week for one. Is this normal part of getting use to the bike. Kinda of how your tail hurts before you get use to the seat?

Quote Originally Posted by LivinOurLuvSong View Post
    So I went for a 10 mile ride yesterday. My shoulder, elbows, and wrist were sore. Rode 20 miles today not as sore but it was there and palms were really red. The LBS said to ride a while before the fitting. So I am thinking of going in this week for one. Is this normal part of getting use to the bike. Kinda of how your tail hurts before you get use to the seat?
    Are you wearing gloves?

Besides getting used to the bike and getting a fit, one thing that really has helped me is to do core strengthening exercises. Like these: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/core-strength/SM00047
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

If you're not wearing gloves, get some. If you are, maybe look at some new ones. Core strengthening exercises may help. (Speaking of which, I should do some.) Also make sure your saddle works for you. It may take more than 2 rides to do that, though.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

The LBS said to ride a while before the fitting. So I am thinking of going in this week for one. Is this normal part of getting use to the bike. Kinda of how your tail hurts before you get use to the seat?
    Get the bike fit! I don't agree with the "ride it for a while first" philosophy at all. Is riding it for a while going to somehow make a too long or short stem work for you? Or any one of a number of things that can be adjusted that can make you miserable? Of course not. In fact, there are many proponents of getting a fitting done before you even shop for a bike, because then you know which models' geometry is more likely to work for you.

The place where I just bought my new bike tried that line on me, I said "no, I'd like the bike fitted to me when I take it." So I ended up driving home, a 2 hour trip, without my bike because the fitter was off that day. Drove back the next day, 2 hours each way again, to get the fitting and the bike. I now feel perfectly positioned, comfortable, with no wasted or unecessary motion needed. A friend commented today that my riding looked effoertless and I looked like I was gliding. I contribute a big part of that to a good bike fitting.

I dont have gloves. Do most of you use gloves? What is the main reason behind gloves? I rode 30 miles today and way less pain so I am guessing it was the shock of going from such a comfort bike to road bike. I am going for my fitting later this week. Thanks everyone for your replies

The big reason for wearing gloves is to protect your hands if you crash. The other reason is for comfort.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

And to wipe your nose (the soft fleecy part normally near the thunmb).