Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: lube?

lube?

To disable ads, please log-in.

What are your recommendations for lube brands for the bike?

Local stores seem to have

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...ductId=3965291

Is it any good? is there something else I should look for? Also how often should I lube the chain and the zoom things?
    Life in Miles - My journal-blog

The main thing to remember about wax is that your chain has to be spotlessly clean and dry before you wax it. After that, it lasts a long time and I know a lot of people who love it.

Personally I prefer Pedro's Go! for dry conditions and Pedro's Chainj! for my commuter bike. They're both soybean oil based and non-toxic. Oils of any kind mean more frequent cleaning and re-application than waxes, but you don't have to be quite so scrupulous when you do clean your chain.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Good point. The bicycle is only a few weeks old but I've been on the nature trails with it several times.
    Life in Miles - My journal-blog

This is what my lbs told me to use, so I do. It cleans and lubes. I wipe my chain down after every ride, and use this every couple rides. Can't believe how much dirt comes off.

Progold PG2000.
    2013 Kirk Frameworks JK Special/Selle Anatomica
    2012 Gunnar Sport/Brooks B17
    2001 Calfee Tetra Pro/Selle Anatomica
    1984 Raleigh Sport/Brooks B66

I started using T9 last year and like it a lot. it keeps my chain cleaner and provides smooth shifting. You do need to apply it to a clean chain, for that job I use the Park tool chain cleaning kit. It takes a bit of work not because it's hard but you have to do it outside or lay down papers and make an effort to change the fluid a couple of times, especially if you have neglected your chain for a long time.

Using the park tool cleaning kit is WELL WORTH the effort involved. After a through cleaning and re-lubing of the chain I was able to run a white cloth over my chain after several rides and the cloth was clean, no grit, no grime.

I could NEVER do that with wet lube.
    Bike Writer

http://pedaltohealth.blogspot.com/

Schwinn Gateway unknown year
    Specalized Expedition Sport Low-Entry 2011

How often should I be lubing my chain? I've had my bike for about a year, it probably still has fewer than 100 miles on it (though rapidly increasing now) and I've never lubed it :-/

Quote Originally Posted by prinessbeca View Post
    How often should I be lubing my chain? I've had my bike for about a year, it probably still has fewer than 100 miles on it (though rapidly increasing now) and I've never lubed it :-/
    I know some people who lube their chain every ride. I lube it every longer ride - or perhaps every 50 miles worth of short rides.

Learn what a well lubed chain sounds like. If it starts squeaking at all, then it is overdue for lube.
    Laura

Quote Originally Posted by prinessbeca View Post

I use ProLink on the chain for my road bike, and I lube the chain about every 100 miles. On my mountain bike, I use chainsaw bar oil and lube the chain every other ride.

If you have had your bike for a year and haven't yet lubed the chain, I would go ahead and lube it now, regardless of the mileage.
    JEAN

2011 Specialized Ruby Elite - carbon fiber go-fast bike
    DiamondBack Expert - steel road bike
    Klein Pinnacle - classic no-suspension aluminum MTB