Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

To disable ads, please log-in.

Might as well cook while listening to music.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bike-bbq-fail.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	14455  
    Mariela
    '12 Trek Lexa SLX

Quote Originally Posted by limewave View Post
    I watched one of them nearly get blasted by a car as he finished his pull, sat up and moved out to the middle of the road. He was completely oblivious to everyone else in the group and the cars on the road.
    that is appalling. I ride alone almost all the time, most of the time with music, but the few times I ride along with someone else I obviously take the buds out. Otherwise there would be no point in riding with other people

I have to admit that I'm a lot more tuned out of my surroundings and approaching cyclists from behind when I'm riding chatting with someone than when I'm listening to music... much less practice, and I'll be telling long, convoluted stories and going slower too.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Quote Originally Posted by KBIKES View Post
    Illegal in Florida.
    Wow, really? The state were there are no motorcycle helmet laws, no emission laws and no laws about talking or texting while driving makes it illegal to bike with headphones on?

Unbelievable.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Laws, schmaws. It's not like these kind of laws get enforced very much.

I am convinced we could solve the local budget crisis if they'd just start writing primary offense cell phone use tickets in my state.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post

I am convinced we could solve the local budget crisis if they'd just start writing primary offense cell phone use tickets in my state.
    +++1 it is soooooooo sad how many people I see who still (hold a) phone and drive - even though it is *more* dangerous than drinking and driving - reaction times are actually slower..... (and that even goes for hands free, much less juggling the phone too).
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post

Oh, I agree. Even with a mobile phone law, I see tons of people using them. Hell, we lost a tree in front of our house and our neighbors lost a fence due to texting accidents (two separate occasions) and no one was cited in either case. Laws don't change squat if no one enforces them.

My point was that in FL, they had an emissions law and a helmet law and both got revoked. In general, no one down there wants anyone else to tell them what to do. So how in the world did a 'headphone' law get passed?
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by GLC1968 View Post
    My point was that in FL, they had an emissions law and a helmet law and both got revoked. In general, no one down there wants anyone else to tell them what to do. So how in the world did a 'headphone' law get passed?
    Cyclists are a minority and are not considered to be relevant in politics.... I'd guess if you polled most Floridians they wouldn't care because it doesn't affect them or they'd hear "ban" and "cyclist" and the would be enough to make them think it was a good idea....

Emissions being revoked is a no brainer - more than enough people are motorists and selfish enough to not want to pay for emissions testing. Motorcycle helmets... well... even though most people are not motorcyclists I would guess there is enough cachet to capture people's imagination about the wind in their hair and taking away freedoms.... unlike headphones on cyclists where people don't put themselves in that place and probably just think - yeah stupid bikers jump out in front of me all the time, before they think about the government telling them what to do (cause unless I do it or think I might someday, or even imagine myself doing it, it's not relevant to anyone at all ya know).

Not that I'm defending anything here.... I don't think helmet or headphone laws are necessarily bad..
    Last edited by Eden; 05-10-2012 at 11:25 AM.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

+1 to Veronica and lph.
    Daily commute for the last 14-1/2 years gets boring.
    It's much harder to hear when its windy than when I have earbuds.
    Plus I listen to gospel and hymns so that gives me extra protection, right?
    laurie

Brand New Orbea Diva | Pink | Specialized Ruby
    2005 Trek Madone Road | Pink | Ruby
    1998 Trek 5200 Road | Blue | Specialized Jett
    ???? Litespeed Catalyst Road | Silver | Terry Firefly

When I'm not listening to the world I'm like Lady Madonna....

Listen to the music playing in your head...
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Are bicycles legitimate traffic? I hear so often that bikes have the right to ride on the road -- cue the hew and cry -- but then I see cyclists who don't adhere to the responsibilities of the road. I don't know whether headphone use while cycling is illegal here, but I do know that headphone use while driving a car is. Strikes me as irresponsible (and also stupid) to use headphones while driving; I'm glad it's illegal. How is it any better when someone is on a bike? I just do not understand how anyone could possibly justify the use of headphones while on a bike.

I see people do it; clearly a good number of my TE sisters use headphones. I still don't understand how anyone can justify it, aside from "I want to." Well, sometimes I'd like to use headphones when I drive if only to drown out the obnoxious music coming from the cars around me, but I don't because I need to be able to hear the cars around me, obnoxious music (~~ sigh ~~) and all, and that goes at least as much for when I'm on my bike as in my car.