Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bike Computer or Bike Apps on Iphone

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am in the market to purchase a bike computer. I really don't know the first thing about shopping for this device. I have notice the range from $17 to $40 dollars.

Then I started looking at Bike Apps on my iphone.

Suggestions?

I only know about Iphone apps. There are several you can use to track and log miles. I have used imapmyride and endomondo with success.
    2013: Riding a Dolce sport compact for fun and a vintage Jetter with cargo rack for commuting

www.bike-sby.org: A network of concerned cyclists working to make our city more bicycle friendly.

I'd be wary about using phone apps, because of the potential for draining the battery and not having a phone when you need it. Of course, I do not possess a smartphone, so take it with a grain of salt.

If you don't go with the phone, you have two options:
    1) Wired. Sensor mounted to the fork (zip ties) is directly connected to the computer. Advantages: Cheaper, less prone to interference (from power lines, other bike computers, sensor things at intersections...). Disadvantages: Can be a pain to mount, especially if you get a model with a cadence sensor. Often don't have the same features that wireless models do.

2) Wireless. Advantages: Mounting everything is easier (zip tie sensor to fork, and attach the bracket to the bars or stem. Voila! No wires to fuss with, and your bike looks cleaner. Disadvantages: Prone to interference, more expensive.

There are also GPS units. Garmin makes several. I don't know about those.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Thanks

Thanks for replying to my post. I am researching now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rina View Post
    I am in the market to purchase a bike computer. I really don't know the first thing about shopping for this device. I have notice the range from $17 to $40 dollars.

Suggestions?
    Some suggestions here:

http://www.teamestrogen.com/product/...-c61-c945.html
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

What do you want the computer for?

Some possible things that they track, depending on the computer:

Current speed
    Average speed for the ride
    Maximum speed for the ride
    Cumulative distance for the ride
    Odometer (cumulative distance for all rides)
    Current time
    Elapsed time of ride
    Current cadence
    Average cadence for the ride
    Maximum cadence for the ride
    Current heart rate
    Maximum heart rate for the ride
    Est. calories burned
    Altitude
    % grade of current climb
    Total feet climbed/descended for the ride
    GPS tracking of your position
    Ability to download routes from websites like mapmyride or ridewithgps
    Ability to set goals for things like speed and heartrate
    Ability to upload ride data to a website to analyze rides

etc etc

A basic cycle computer will track speed and distance for your ride, and will probably include a clock and total ride time.

More advanced computers can track cadence (usually the cadence sensor is an additional purchase) and include heart rate monitors.

GPS-enabled computers add lots more features.

Whatever you choose, read the specs carefully to make sure it keeps track of the things you care about. I bought an inexpensive computer for my mountain bike last year without realizing it did not compute average speed for the ride -- I had to do it myself based on the total ride time and total distance.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I use Cyclemeter on my iphone. I'm a beginner so I mostly track my ride time, average speed, fastest speed, number of miles ridden and my routes. I suppose I could track cadence, heart rate and calories too but I probably need some add-on contraption to go with the app. I don't ride great distances yet so the battery is fine but once I start riding longer, the iphone may not work anymore.

I use the Wahoo Fitness app on my phone and once I finished my workout I upload the data to Strava or Run Keeper. I like the Wahoo fitness app because the background of the app is white with black letters/numbers which makes it easier to view from above without having to spend extra money on a screen reflector. But if you are like me that would like to track speed and cadence then you will have to buy a fisica sensor case which includes an ANT+ plus sensor that will house your iPhone inside and is mounted to the bike handlebars. This sensor will collect the data from the speed and cadence sensors installed in your bike. If you don't have to track speed and or cadence, using the iPhone GPS in conjuction with the app will work for you. I'm also contemplating buying a Garmin GPS but they are on the expensive side.
    Last edited by Maye; 05-07-2012 at 06:03 AM.
    Mariela
    '12 Trek Lexa SLX

Has anyone used the ANT adapter for the iPhone? I saw this at REI yesterday. My new bike has duo-trap sensors on it. I wish I'd known about the adapter before I purchased the wireless computer for my bike. FWIW "motion gpx" is the app I use so far so good . I did drain my battery on a three hour ride, but I started with on 60% charge, and I hadn't modified the settings to maximize battery use. ( it was talking to me every five minutes!)
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    Has anyone used the ANT adapter for the iPhone? I saw this at REI yesterday. My new bike has duo-trap sensors on it. I wish I'd known about the adapter before I purchased the wireless computer for my bike. FWIW "motion gpx" is the app I use so far so good . I did drain my battery on a three hour ride, but I started with on 60% charge, and I hadn't modified the settings to maximize battery use. ( it was talking to me every five minutes!)
    Hi Irulan,
    I don't use the adapter but I do use the fisica case bike mount which comes with an ANT+ sensor. I use it with the Wahoo HRM and speed/cadence combo sensors. I really like the case. Easy to take phone in/out and protects the iPhone from the elements. The longest I have used it is for 110 minutes for a 20 mile ride last Saturday and the battery went down to 65% from 100% charged. For longer rides (not there yet :-)) I'm contemplating buying a Garmin GPS.
    Mariela
    '12 Trek Lexa SLX

Just in terms of battery life, I can't speak to iPhone, but I've got an HTC Incredible (first generation) with an extra capacity aftermarket battery (I think 1650 mAH, but not sure - it fits in the OEM back). If I keep the phone plugged in until just before I leave, and keep the screen OFF (so it's just logging and not displaying anything to me realtime), just having the GPS on to use iMapMy drains my battery to the 10% red light warning in five hours. That's not near enough in my book, especially considering that the main reason I want to carry a phone with me is in case of emergencies, and if an emergency did happen, it might take more than an hour or two for someone to find me.

But maybe iPhones have better battery life.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

The iPhone battery gets drained in around 3 hours :-( That's why I'm contemplating buying a Garmin GPS.
    Mariela
    '12 Trek Lexa SLX

The iphone battery is terrible but I'm not at the level where I do 3 hour rides yet!

I've been using the MapMyRide app for iPhone 4S, and it drains my battery pretty quickly and consistently over about 2-3 hours. (It does help to manually shut down the app after riding and saving your data- just "X" it out after double-clicking on the home button-- otherwise it will continue to drain the battery.)

Anyway, I was thinking about the Wahoo ANT+ sensor, but due to the battery life issue, I'm considering a Garmin HRM and external bike sensor. I'm also thinking that when I change phones in a year or two, I don't want to have to deal with new bike equipment (unless I want to), and the cost is about the same to have a separate Garmin+sensor solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    I'd be wary about using phone apps, because of the potential for draining the battery and not having a phone when you need it. Of course, I do not possess a smartphone, so take it with a grain of salt.
    I do have an iPhone and reserving its batter is precisely why I use a Garmin.

I want to be able to reliably double check the maps if I need to as well as make a call.

There are also GPS units. Garmin makes several. I don't know about those.
    I have the Garmin 305 which I use for biking, hiking, skiing, etc. It has a heart rate monitor which has been fun to track over the years.

A couple of years ago Mr. Sz got me the Edge as a gift, which I love, because it has even more data, but alas, it doesn't have the HR (since I have the 305) so when cycling, I use both. I recommend the Edge, absolutely, for cycling.

Edit to add: Either can be uploaded to Strava.
    Giant TCR C3 :: Specialized Jett 143
    Specialized FSR :: Terry Butterfly
    Vintage Giant Road Bike :: Specialized Lithia