Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Velcro Shoe Strap?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi All --

I have a favorite pair of shoes and the velcro on the top strap of lefty isn't sticking very well anymore. I love these shoes, perfectly broken in and fit my funny feet very well, so I'm hesitant to let them go. So hesitant in fact that I've been taping the strap down (and around) for my past few rides.

So question is, has anyone had any luck fixing faulty velcro? I'd thought about trying to stitch new stuff in but the old stuff is really sewn in there!

Am I out of luck and looking at some new ones?

Thanks!

I've had a shoe shop replace worn our velcro for me, and it worked great. I think they stitched it over the old stuff?
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

I have the same problem with my shoes. The difference is I don't love mine and need to replace them so I didn't really care how I approached this problem. Be warned, you may not want to do this.

I too couldn't remove the faulty velcro so I took some velcro from my sewing kit, cut short of the full length (need room to move the strap around the buckle) then stapled the new piece onto the old non-tacky one. Now, the faulty strap was the one on top, the one that gets pressed onto the shoe. I wouldn't do this to the bottom, the staples might rub against your foot.

The new piece had adhesive so that helped make a closer contact between the two. I stapled from the inside of the strap because the staples on top of the strap really showed. Staple from the inside and all you can see are the little bent pieces on the outside. (My shoes are black and grey.)

I also used pliers to compress the folded/bent side. I used a regular desk stapler and it didn't have the best pressure for such thick material, but it worked once I used the pliers.

Its a very white-tape-to-hold-your-glasses-together type of solution but it was all I had at the time and it ended up working for a long time.

Oh, just saw Blueberry's solution. That sounds better for the shoes you love.