Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Bike Trailer; Can I use it to carry groceries?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I was wondering if I can use the bike trailer to carry groceries also. Without the kid of course. Have anyone used it for that? I saw a couple yesterday using a trailer to carry a beautiful blue merle border collie. Nice!!
    Mariela
    '12 Trek Lexa SLX

Quote Originally Posted by Maye View Post
    I was wondering if I can use the bike trailer to carry groceries also.
    Of course! Around here quite a few of the homeless people use old bike trailers to carry around all their possessions.
    Laura

I'm sure you can. I can take the back rest down in mine to fit in more groceries. I don't use it for groceries because I don't have a trailer-friendly route to town, and there aren't many places where I could park safely.
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

Absolutely! I have fond memories of towing my son in the trailer with bags of groceries stashed all around him, and him peering disgruntledly over the lighter bags with loaves of bread and toilet paper
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    Absolutely! I have fond memories of towing my son in the trailer with bags of groceries stashed all around him, and him peering disgruntledly over the lighter bags with loaves of bread and toilet paper
    I'm picturing your son in my head with all the grocery bags and toilet paper package, around him . If I do that to my daughter she will be complaining all the ride back home. She is in the terrible two's phase and she whines and complaints all the time

I was asking since sometimes manufacturers say that you shouldn't use this for that and so on. Couldn't find anything on the net saying that I shouldn't use my Instep trailer for cargo. Next step, grocery shopping
    Mariela
    '12 Trek Lexa SLX

The kid trailers are typically rated for a certain weight, and if you exceed that weight you can break the trailer. I used a kid trailer for my groceries for a long time. When it did eventually break, it was just the plastic seat, and I took the hitch & the axle & wheels, and a piece of plywood, and made a flatbed trailer. I still use that for my groceries.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

I have no little kids but I have an Instep trailer. I bought it used and haul the old dog around. I also used it to haul laundry when I was at an rv park for the winter and the laundry facilities were a half a mile away. Too far to walk, too close to drive, perfect on the bike.

I am thinking about using it for groceries in the town where I am staying because the store is less than 2 miles away. But yeah, we have to watch the weight limits.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

The cargo trailers usually aren't good for a kid, but the kid ones are fine with cargo.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Quote Originally Posted by malkin View Post
    The cargo trailers usually aren't good for a kid, but the kid ones are fine with cargo.
    I strapped a lawn chair to my flatbed to turn it back into a kid trailer to haul my niece. I called it my redneck kiddie bike trailer! She had a great time in it. "Faster, Aunt Wachel, Faster!" Someone should give that kid a whip.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Quote Originally Posted by Melalvai View Post
    I strapped a lawn chair to my flatbed to turn it back into a kid trailer to haul my niece. I called it my redneck kiddie bike trailer! She had a great time in it. "Faster, Aunt Wachel, Faster!" Someone should give that kid a whip.

Nice! You've gotta teach her to say "Yeeee Haw!"
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.