Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Foam vs Gel Chamois?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Is one better than the other?

Last year, I rode a hybrid and wore a pair of Craft Active shorts with gel chamois, and I LOVED them.

This year I am riding a road bike. I have been wearing the LG Neo Power shorts with a foam chamois, and love them also. (Thanks to recs from TE!)

Today, I wore my Craft shorts for the first time on the road bike and was miserable (numbness)! Is it a foam vs gel thing thing? Different position on the bike? Also, I have put on some weight since last summer, and the Craft shorts were a leeeeeetle bit tight

I hate to not use them, because they are still in good condition. THoughts?

Well if they worked for you before, I can't see how it would be the material ...

Different riding position could make you need different shorts. Are you using the same saddle on both bikes? That could contribute too. But really, those kind of things I would think would give you chafing, not numbness. I'm going to guess you're on the right track with them being tight. Not so much that the tightness itself is giving you trouble, but that it's changing the way you sit on the saddle.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Yes, different saddle on the road bike this year....

I don't have the hybrid anymore, so I'll just be on the road bike.

Is your gel chamois thicker than the foam one? In my LG shorts (I don't remember the specific style) the foam chamois is pretty thin - which is what I prefer. I have found that thicker chamois cause my legs to go numb from the extra pressure and I have donated all my shorts that are that style. If your gel chamois is thicker, that could possible be it.