Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Checking a Denver route to get to a meeting

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm in nearby Louisville, but just trying to use my bike more for routine errands, meetings, etc. I have a business lunch in the Old South Gaylord area in a couple weeks, so thought I'd toss my bike on the bus to Market St Station and go from there. The Google maps bike routefinder suggests Cherry Creek Trail, south Marion Parkway, then east on E. Exposition Ave thru the park and over to University, south on Uni Blvd.

Sound like the right route to any Denverites out there? Happy to return the favor if anyone needs routes up here.

(on the plus side I did find some great sale tri shorts that work well under an REI travel dress, fine equivalent of the good-for-work LBD, at least in Colorado)

marcy

I'm on the west side of town and you're talking east side so I can't give much advice, except my experience driving on University is that it is very heavy traffic and not bicycle friendly and I personally would not bicycle on it.
    The Denver Bicycle Touring Club has a map that shows the best routes. It's available at bicycle shops and REI. The DBTC has worked with city planners and experienced bicylists who review the routes. I personally know some of the cyclists who have approved the routes.
    We personally don't go in unfamiliar areas of Denver without the map because of, construction, car accident, etc. The map was updated within the last year.
    My SO was not impressed with goggle maps, it routed him on roads he knew were unsafe, but he has not tried to use it recently. In his opinion some of the routes were illegal and dangerous. We're not sure if they've fixed their problems, ie, they routed bicyclists on route 6 through the tunnels, which is illegal for bicycles, but I still feel skeptical since I don't know the local presence.
    Personally, I don't know anywhere I would ride University except on the sidewalk.
    Last edited by Kathi; 05-06-2012 at 03:58 PM.

Don't ride on University Blvd! Besides being unsafe, University would be out of your way. Gaylord is between the east side of Washington Park and University.

I suggest that you ride the Cherry Creek Trail east to either Downing or Marion. Ride south on either street to Washington Park. Marion will take you right into the park. Downing runs along the west side of the park. Ride part way through the park and exit the park on the east side. There are 3 east exits. It doesn't matter which exit you take.
    • If you end up on Exposition, ride 6 blocks east and 3 blocks north to the Old South district.
    • If you end up on Kentucky, ride 6 blocks east and 1 block north to the Old South district.
    • If you end up on Mississippi, ride 6 blocks east and you'll run right into the Old South district.
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB
    Updated Vintage Terry Symmetry / Bontrager InForm RL WSD

Lori and Kathi, thank you so much for this! I just realized there's something in my settings that I didn't get notified, so didn't realize your very helpful replies were here til now. My meeting isn't til the 30th, so these are great.

Kathi, I'd have to agree about google maps, I've noticed similar oddities up here in the Boulder area. I do have the Denver map, but mine is a bit out of date, I'll look for a new one this year.

Lori, THANK YOU for the suggested routes, I will check them on my map tonight so I'll be ready.

Since I work from home for my employer I'm really trying to build more bike commuting into my daily errands, and this is my first shot at a business meeting. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again,

Marcy (who rides a Jamis Coda Comp)

You're welcome. Enjoy your ride. Hubby and I used to ride the route I suggested several times a month. We moved to Castle Rock 12 years ago but we still like to ride laps around Wash Park a few times a year. It's a great area.
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB
    Updated Vintage Terry Symmetry / Bontrager InForm RL WSD