Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

NW or Northern Michigan

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'll be in NE Michigan soon, and thinking about taking a day trip to ride around the NW corner, Mackinac, or even to the UP, which would require an overnight or 2.

I'll be traveling with a friend who is not as avid a cyclist as me, but would go along for 20 miles or so, possibly farther if weather is good, with few to no hills (we are both flatlanders!), and good breaks every 8-10 miles or so. Does that rule out Leelanau, or Sleeping Bear Dunes area, or Petosky area?

We'll drive over there, but bring bikes. Can anyone suggest a nice tour by car or by bike? I have not been to Mackinac in probably close to 30 years, and never to the NW side.

Martha

Martha, I'm in Michigan - the Bay City area. One web site I can suggest checking out is Pure Michigan(www.puremichigan.org). I have a friend who lives in Petoskey and I'll send her an email about Petoskey/Leelaneau/Sleeping Bear Dunes area. I'll probably send you a PM.
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

Quote Originally Posted by surgtech1956 View Post
    Martha, I'm in Michigan - the Bay City area. One web site I can suggest checking out is Pure Michigan(www.puremichigan.org). I have a friend who lives in Petoskey and I'll send her an email about Petoskey/Leelaneau/Sleeping Bear Dunes area. I'll probably send you a PM.
    Thanks. I've been all over the Pure Mich site and get their emails, but since I just hatched this idea, haven't looked there yet for this info. That's a good idea.

We'll be in the Tawas area, and if the weather is nice we'll be hard pressed leave there and venture out another 300 (r/t) miles, but you never know. It's been my impression that the Petosky/Leelanau area is pretty hilly and I don't think my friend will like that so much. Any idea how the hills in NW Mich might compare to that on Mackinac?

The Cherry Capital Cycling Club in the Traverse City area has some route and elevation maps on their web site which may be helpful to you.
    2010 Trek Madone 4.5
    2013 Velo Orange Campeur

My friend from Petoskey is suppose to get back to me this weekend. I think Mackinac is probably a little less hilly. The Tawas area is fantastic, we camp there every year, Tawas is full of small shops, pubs(plus a Walmart, fast food restaurants and Tim Hortons Coffee) there's also a bike path that runs along US23 from Tawas south for probably 10 miles - along the shore, its a beautiful ride. I almost forgot, there's mountain bike trails(we cross country ski there in the winter) just outside of town, Lumberman's Monument. There's a shop called Nordic Sports(its right on Bay Street - can't miss the place, they have kayaks hanging on the front of the building and its on the main drag) - they can help you find anything outdoors in the area, plus they sell Life is Good, Keen & Merrell()
    2006 Trek 7100

Quote Originally Posted by surgtech1956 View Post
    My friend from Petoskey is suppose to get back to me this weekend. I think Mackinac is probably a little less hilly. The Tawas area is fantastic, we camp there every year, Tawas is full of small shops, pubs(plus a Walmart, fast food restaurants and Tim Hortons Coffee) there's also a bike path that runs along US23 from Tawas south for probably 10 miles - along the shore, its a beautiful ride. I almost forgot, there's mountain bike trails(we cross country ski there in the winter) just outside of town, Lumberman's Monument. There's a shop called Nordic Sports(its right on Bay Street - can't miss the place, they have kayaks hanging on the front of the building and its on the main drag) - they can help you find anything outdoors in the area, plus they sell Life is Good, Keen & Merrell()
    Hey - you are preaching to the choir. I've been going there for 60 years!

Sorry. Mistake I didn't realize you had been to the area before.
    2006 Trek 7100

Hey, no need to apologize. What are the odds of a person in DE ever having heard of the place, much less call it home? It's not really my home, it seems lthat way. I used to enjoy going to Genie's for Thai food, but now that it's burned down, I don't know where we'll go. Got a favorite restaurant? Tait's in Oscoda is good, but need to find a new "go to" spot in Tawas. I think we'll go up to Mackinac, then go up to Whitefish Point, and hit the falls on the way back.

We've never ate at any of the local restaurants, we camp at the state park and just usually site see. There's a couple of pubs that I've heard have good food. Sounds like you have some great places on your itinerary, esp Whitefish Point. When is your trip planned for?
    2006 Trek 7100

we are going for the bird festival, then staying through the following week.

Quote Originally Posted by withm View Post
    Hey, no need to apologize. What are the odds of a person in DE ever having heard of the place, much less call it home? It's not really my home, it seems lthat way. I used to enjoy going to Genie's for Thai food, but now that it's burned down, I don't know where we'll go. Got a favorite restaurant? Tait's in Oscoda is good, but need to find a new "go to" spot in Tawas. I think we'll go up to Mackinac, then go up to Whitefish Point, and hit the falls on the way back.
    We were overnight in Tawas last summer and had a good dinner at Augie's on the Bay. Very friendly wait staff, small town diner feel and reasonably priced.
    2010 Trek Madone 4.5
    2013 Velo Orange Campeur

-

Im pretty sure Harbaugh will choose either San Francisco & not have to move, or Denver, who is getting wood over by John Elway as we speak...I CAN see Singletary going to Michigan...