Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Garmin Edge 500 -- ? re: cadence sensor package

To disable ads, please log-in.

I see that there are different packages for this unit. I already have the cadence sensor that works with my Forerunner 305. If I purchased an Edge 500 without the cadence sensor (included in some packages) would it work with the one I already own? I'm assuming that all of the 500s are the same, aside from the package deals...?
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I bought the basic Edge 500 that came with just the bike mount, power cable and USB cable. I didn't need the Garmin speed/cadence sensor because I wanted to use the Bontrager Duotrap sensor instead, and I don't need a HRM.

I'm pretty sure (but not 100%) that the Garmin speed/cadence sensor that comes with the Edge in the package deal is the same one you can buy a la carte.

BTW even if you get the package that comes with everything, you might still need to get a spoke magnet.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    I'm pretty sure (but not 100%) that the Garmin speed/cadence sensor that comes with the Edge in the package deal is the same one you can buy a la carte.

BTW even if you get the package that comes with everything, you might still need to get a spoke magnet.
    Ok, that is what I suspected.

Does your spoke not come close enough to the sensor to pick it up? We got DS a bike computer with cadence sensor for his tiny CX bike, but we think we may need a stronger magnet, since it doesn't pick up.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

My spoke magnet works fine. I don't know the brand or anything about it -- a mechanic at the LBS put it on the bike for me, probably when I first bought the bike and they were setting up my old Polar cycle computer for me.

I do have problems with the speed sensor on my mountain bike not working, even when it is hitting the magnet as the wheel spins. That bike has a low-end Bontrager computer on it. I haven't yet tried to figure out what the problem is with it.

Gone but not forgotten:

Just checked DC Rainmaker -- perhaps this will answer your question.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2009/11/g...th-review.html

Looks like the magnet is included with the bundle package that comes with the speed/cadence sensor.

I think I need to take the time to read this whole thing in detail. It looks jam-packed with info.
    Last edited by ny biker; 05-02-2012 at 07:14 PM.

Gone but not forgotten:

Dcrainmaker's site is very helpful for all things Garmin!

Magnets can definitely de-magnetize. I've had to buy spares to replace them before (they just stopped working - new magnet fixed it).
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
    Dcrainmaker's site is very helpful for all things Garmin!
    Yes it is...I've looked at his reviews for other Garmin devices in the past. He is thorough! Though he doesn't really specify whether the Edge 500s that are not part of a package will still work with the accessories--I assume they would, though.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    Yes it is...I've looked at his reviews for other Garmin devices in the past. He is thorough! Though he doesn't really specify whether the Edge 500s that are not part of a package will still work with the accessories--I assume they would, though.
    Oh - I didn't mean to imply he answered your question - just that he's a treasure trove of more than you ever wanted to know

The Edge 500 will work with Ant + accessories - so if you already have a sensor, you're good. The Edge 200 (which looks exactly the same) will not because it doesn't have Ant + built in.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Ahhh...OK, that's what I thought. I wasn't sure if the ones they didn't bundle with accessories were like the Forerunner 205 vs. 305 where the former has no wireless capabilities.

I think I know what I'm asking for for Mother's Day. My 305's strap is really wearing from all of the on-and-off the bike it gets.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Yes, it's all the same. The HR strap that was bundled with my 705 is the same one I use with my 310XT. I'm on my second (never bundled) footpod and my third cadence sensor (the original one was bundled, Garmin warrantied the other two, and what they sent me was the same package you might get if you were buying it for a non-bundled set). I've also paired the cadence sensor with the 310 and used it a few times.

The cadence sensor comes with both its magnets. The wheel sensor pickup arm adjusts separately from the body of the sensor, so with a little fiddling you should be able to get it close enough to read both magnets, regardless of your frame geometry. You can place the body either above or below the chainstay, whichever gets it positioned right to read both.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    The cadence sensor comes with both its magnets. The wheel sensor pickup arm adjusts separately from the body of the sensor, so with a little fiddling you should be able to get it close enough to read both magnets, regardless of your frame geometry. You can place the body either above or below the chainstay, whichever gets it positioned right to read both.
    Yup, I've never had issues with my cadence sensor and magnets. My kid's unit is a Cateye, I think. That unit is much less adjustable, unfortunately.

I think I'm definitely going to give the Edge 500 a go. It makes so much more sense than constantly strapping my FR 305 on and off the bike (I am not fond of the quick release set-up for that--it's bulky and uncomfortable on my wrist and I don't think it's very secure on the bike end, either).
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
    Oh - I didn't mean to imply he answered your question - just that he's a treasure trove of more than you ever wanted to know

The Edge 500 will work with Ant + accessories - so if you already have a sensor, you're good. The Edge 200 (which looks exactly the same) will not because it doesn't have Ant + built in.
    Yes, my brother in law uses the Edge with the Wahoo HRM and speed/cadence combo since they have the Ant+ sensors.

Zoom: I'm planning to suggest my husband to gift me an Edge 500 for mothers day
    Mariela
    '12 Trek Lexa SLX

Quote Originally Posted by Maye View Post
    Zoom: I'm planning to suggest my husband to gift me an Edge 500 for mothers day
    I have great ideas, sometimes!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

I have an Edge 500 and just use the GPS measurements for speed and cadence.

It is all pretty accurate and no real need to go buy the additional sensors
    Last edited by ehirsch83; 05-04-2012 at 06:25 AM. Reason: spelling error