Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Converting to Trekking Bars

To disable ads, please log-in.

I spent 4 hours last night at my LBS learning, talking, and testing a Surly LHT. I was a little in love with this bike before I even tried it, after all the recommendations and reading I'd done.

However, I couldn't get 10 feet without panicking because of the handlebars. I've never ridden with drop bars before. I like a fairly upright position. I'm a nervous rider at the best of times, but to not have quick and easy access to the brakes just made it impossible for me to get in the saddle.

So, we set it up on a trainer, did some fiddling, put on a straight bar to test the feel. By the end of it, I managed to take it around the block using the drop bars. Such a smoooooth ride!

But those handle bars gotta go. I'm quite attracted to the trekking/butterfly style bars. My LBS is happy to hold the Surly until I can source a bar to bring in and try, but they don't carry them... and it seems that no one around does (I'm in Canada). I could order them from the US, with shipping charges that double the cost and probably 2 weeks of time.

So, question#1... anyone know of a Canadian source?

and question #2... what do I need to know about converting the components from the LHT to trekking bars?

I have done some research, and seen lots of setups, so I know it can be done. But some of the lingering questions I have are:
    How much tape do I need?
    What kind of grips/padding/gel works well for my hands
    If I get the LBS to make all the components work, do I tape before, after, during? Can I move things around as I tinker with the feel and fit?

Thanks so much for helping me prepare for my new baby!

p.s. The LHT is an older model frame (but new), and it is the mochachino colour, which I LOVE way better than the robin's egg blue this year.

What about a moustouche bar? That seems like it would be a good compromise. Just yesterday I was looking at a friends LHT that has them and is fully pimped out in leather accessories.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Carefully double check the bar diameter differences. Somehow, I recall a trekking bar diameter is the same as a MTB bar, which is smaller than a drop bar diameter. This means swapping out brake levers.

Ride it without tape for a while to fine-tune all the adjustments while doing some actual riding.

In terms of drop bars, Grant Peterson, of Rivendell and Bridgestone fame, puts them fairly high relative to the seat so riders can comfortably use the drops, so there is that option depending on stem options.

I tried moustache bars, did not like the loss of the tops, so I switched one bike to the On One Midge. It is a nice compromise from a traditional drop bar. Downside, had to order from the UK so it took a bit to get to the west coast of the US.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '89 Bridgestone Radac Dura-Ace | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1 | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1.2 (balloon tire bike) | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '93 Bridgestone MB-5 (my SUB*) | Specialized Lithia, 143

My blog: Portlandia Pedaler (at Blogger)

Yay, I found a LBS that has one in stock. The 4 other shops I called didn't even know what I was talking about.

Yes, I do believe the butterfly is the same diameter as a flat bar. My LBS is aware of that, and explained some of the changes they would have to make (eg: thumbies, instead of the bar end levers).

Glad you found one. I love my trekking bar. I got it on Nashbar.com
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

This one is an Uno Kalloy, I believe the same that Wallbikes carries. I'm so glad I found it locally. Buying from the US would mean more than double the price because of shipping and duties, and probably 2-3 weeks wait.

I picked up a set of GP1 Ergon gripshift compatible grips. I'd read a bunch where people were cutting down grips to make them fit. As I look at it, I can't quite understand why, since the bar is so wide with lots of space for components and grips. I'll wait to see how much space there is, but thinking about trading them in for the cork ones which would go so well with my truckaccino colour

I just put Salsa Woodchipper bars on my LHT. Those are wide shallow drops for mountain bikes. This weekend, I will take my first ride with them.

Sue
    Burning fat, building fitness . . . one mile at a time . . . one hill at a time.