Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Strengthen your core, so that it's supporting you and you're not putting so much weight on your wrists. The more forward position of the Amira would be a contributing factor. The stem can probably be flip-flopped and angled upward so you're not so aero (unless the shop already did that in the fitting).
    And very good gloves.

This is one reason I can't ride the Amira...

She looks nice.

I agree with getting the right gloves. I actually have to have gloves with minimal to no extra padding as that can actually cause me issues.

It could be any number of things: Bike fit (have a proper fitting done!), gloves, core strength (or lack thereof), bad saddle fit (the saddle is compressing soft tissue, so you shift most of your weight to your hands to give yourself some relief).
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by Koronin View Post
    I actually have to have gloves with minimal to no extra padding as that can actually cause me issues.
    Same here. I went through three pair of gloves before I learned this.
    2013 Kirk Frameworks JK Special/Selle Anatomica
    2012 Gunnar Sport/Brooks B17
    2001 Calfee Tetra Pro/Selle Anatomica
    1984 Raleigh Sport/Brooks B66

Quote Originally Posted by murielalex View Post
    Same here. I went through three pair of gloves before I learned this.
    Nice to know it's not just me. Same here it was 3 or 4 pairs to figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by MGM View Post
    Strengthen your core, so that it's supporting you and you're not putting so much weight on your wrists. The more forward position of the Amira would be a contributing factor. The stem can probably be flip-flopped and angled upward so you're not so aero (unless the shop already did that in the fitting).
    And very good gloves.

You just described my whole plan! But core work takes time.

Soooo much time.

I've had wrist pain throughout, even on my commuter so it's not _all_ Amy.

I'm thinking of these for gloves:

http://www.gorebikewear.com/remote/S...1208436857561O

2012 Specialized Amira Apex Compact

2011 Redline 925

She looks nice.

I agree with getting the right gloves. I actually have to have gloves with minimal to no extra padding as that can actually cause me issues.
    Too much padding can be a problem?

2011 Redline 925

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    It could be any number of things: Bike fit (have a proper fitting done!), gloves, core strength (or lack thereof), bad saddle fit (the saddle is compressing soft tissue, so you shift most of your weight to your hands to give yourself some relief).
    I was chafing up in my business! Any saddle fit recs?

2011 Redline 925

To answer both of your questions;

1) Gloves: Yes, too much padding can be a problem. As you ride, the padding compresses, and is slightly redistributed so that it puts pressure in all the wrong places, such as the ulnar nerve (if I recall correctly). My gloves are the Pearl Izumi Gel Vent. I got them for the ventilation, but as a bonus, they aren't padded as such--they have a flexible plastic thing on the palm that's vented and provides a bit of cushioning, but doesn't compress.

2) The saddle problem might be compounded by the core strength issue, which is probably fairly common when riding an aggressive bike. I recently had my "endurance geometry" bike fitted, which resulted in a more aggressive posture. The first couple rides were really painful in the saddle area, even with a saddle I had previously found comfortable. I've been not-terribly disciplined about doing some core-focused yoga, and it's been a lot better. Not perfect, but better.

On the saddle fitting front. You might want to make yourself your beverage of choice while reading this: http://http://forums.teamestrogen.co...ad.php?t=39475
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by kelleil View Post
    Too much padding can be a problem?
    For gloves as well as shorts, yes. However we are all different in both of these departments. I am another who requires minimal padding in my gloves, but my butt likes the rather thicker padding of the PI 3D Elite chamois, most thinner chamois won't do for me, "I" would like a thinner chamois, but my butt doesn't like it. What she wants, she gets

As others have already said, there are many things that can contribute to saddle and hand soreness on the bike. The links others have provided will give you a lot of references, and some of this is totally subjective. The perfect saddle or gloves for one woman can be an implement of torture for another.

I can't have one shred of padding in my gloves. Somehow, there's a lot of people who think more padding=better. I found a pair of Botranger gloves that fit the bill, they never go on sale, but after a year or so of increasing hand pain, buying these gloves plus going up a size cured the problem. I have 4-5 pairs, as I just can't wear anything else. I threw out all of my Terry gloves.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Crankin, I wouldn't be surprised if the Bontrager gloves I have are very similar if not the same as yours. The other pair I've found that works is a pair of Scattante gloves. Here's a link to them:
    http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...33_-1___400960

Quote Originally Posted by MGM View Post
    And very good gloves.

This! Strengthen your core, and ease up off your hands. Make sure to relax your shoulders and leave some bend in your elbows.

Crankin, I wouldn't be surprised if the Bontrager gloves I have are very similar if not the same as yours. The other pair I've found that works is a pair of Scattante gloves. Here's a link to them:
    http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...33_-1___400960
    Those aren't awful looking but reviews were terrible!

2011 Redline 925

Quote Originally Posted by winddance View Post
    This! Strengthen your core, and ease up off your hands. Make sure to relax your shoulders and leave some bend in your elbows.
    Allrught, fine. I'll download ab workouts!
    I've got bend in my elbows but that's about it.

2011 Redline 925