Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by MGM View Post
    ...You have to find what works for you, just like when you chose your bike ..
    +1,000 I've had this proved so many times since I started my cycling adventures over 2 years ago. There really isn't a consensus except that - what works best for you. There isn't a perfect pedal or a perfect cassette. Many would find my preferred riding position to be painful for more than a few miles but it is all-day long comfortable to me - so much of this is subjective.

SPD pedals are heavier though, and the smaller footprint can cause hot foot problems. Will your bike shop allow you to test different pedal/cleats on a trainer?

Yippee!! We are getting more and more Amira lovers.

My Amira climbs well....just need to work on this engine here.

I just finished a 34 mile hilly marathon climb in Irvine with a bad rear derailleur (because I tipped twice and smooshed it...so I was getting a little bit of resistance on my chains after falling). And I still finished at 14mph after derailling twice and having nice fellow cyclists helped me. But, at the first 8 miles (prior to tipping), I was passing a ton of people and probably could have finished the 34 mile bikeathon at least at 17mph. Oh well. At least I didn't crash.

If possible, I would try out a few different brands (ie. Speedplay or Frogs, etc.) of clipless pedals. I already have the SPD pedals at loosest tension and still wasn't able to unclip my second foot fast enough when I was tired out. Granted, I am extremely clumsy, so tipping is no surprise to me (I think I am on the 15th time of tipping after 2.5months of the clipless pedals). The bad part about tipping today was that my poor bike chain/rear derailleur was rubbing all the way to the finish line.

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    So What cassette comes on each of the models you are looking at? I would guess the difference isn't huge. Try what's on the bike and if you are experiencing problems then change it. (Now we are only talking about the rear gears here.... changing the *cranks*[front gearing] from say a standard to a compact or to a triple is a whole different proposition, and is expensive)
    I've got an 11x28 but thinking of an 11x32. Cuz I'm a newb.

2012 Specialized Amira Apex Compact

2011 Redline 925

Quote Originally Posted by MGM View Post
    Yup, best advice you can go by. You have to find what works for you, just like when you chose your bike (but the SPDs are much heavier. Just sayin'... ;-) ).
    All you ladies gave Great advice. Components and gear is so expensive so I would love it if I could avoid trial and error.

Today was my inaugural ride. 30 miles, avg speed of 11 but with sprints at 21. So I can't move now and my wrist is all messed up! Seriously, I could barely squeeze the break at the end.

Do y'all do off bike strength training?

2011 Redline 925

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post

SPD pedals are heavier though, and the smaller footprint can cause hot foot problems. Will your bike shop allow you to test different pedal/cleats on a trainer?
    my bf struggled with his spd's for much of the ride and I was like "whaaaaat?"

I can ask the shop!

So aside from excruciating wrist pain (its currently braced) I was spending much of the ride practicing mounting and dismounting. This is what I found...

I put the right pedal all the way down and lift off that position, putting the left foot all the way down on the ground. I keep the left foot down, and would basically then unclip the right, reset the right pedal to the up position, re clip in And then mount.

I can't get my right foot to do the ground thing. My brain just plain refuses. I do this also on my commute bike when dismounting.

Does this seem wrong or inefficient? The bf says its fine, don't worry.

2011 Redline 925

Quote Originally Posted by TigerMom View Post
    Yippee!! We are getting more and more Amira lovers.

My Amira climbs well....just need to work on this engine here.

I just finished a 34 mile hilly marathon climb in Irvine with a bad rear derailleur (because I tipped twice and smooshed it...so I was getting a little bit of resistance on my chains after falling). And I still finished at 14mph after derailling twice and having nice fellow cyclists helped me. But, at the first 8 miles (prior to tipping), I was passing a ton of people and probably could have finished the 34 mile bikeathon at least at 17mph. Oh well. At least I didn't crash.

If possible, I would try out a few different brands (ie. Speedplay or Frogs, etc.) of clipless pedals. I already have the SPD pedals at loosest tension and still wasn't able to unclip my second foot fast enough when I was tired out. Granted, I am extremely clumsy, so tipping is no surprise to me (I think I am on the 15th time of tipping after 2.5months of the clipless pedals). The bad part about tipping today was that my poor bike chain/rear derailleur was rubbing all the way to the finish line.
    Are you ok??

The more I hear the less enthused I am with the spd!

2011 Redline 925

Thanks for caring! I just have a few light bruises (no bruised ego because all my friends know how clumsy I am). I was more upset that I temporarily damaged my rear derailleur for the last 26 miles out of 34 to the finish line. I had wanted to know how fast I could actually go an a somewhat difficult hilly course as it was only my second bike marathon (I did one the day before but it was flat and I took it easy just to see what 31 miles was like). My LBS said that when the rear derailleur gets smooshed inward, they have to use a special device to pull it outward...so nothing that I can fix myself if it happens again.

I think today I am going to practice riding up to my front lawn with grass on both sides of me and practice falling and seeing how fast I can unclip. I can unclip fine if I am relaxed, but not if I am about to fall over (which sadly happens a lot because I am clumsy). Until I am able to unclip fast during a "slow" fall, I am staying away from roads and roads with thin bike lanes.

As for your right leg refusing to unclip, I would practice with sneakers on (pretending to unclip the right leg) to build muscle memory and practice unclipping with both the right leg in the 6:00 position and the 12:00 position. Then practice with your clipless shoes.

By the way Kelleil, we would all love to see a picture of your new bike and exactly which bike you bought when you have a chance. We love seeing beautiful new bikes on this website.

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle
    Last edited by TigerMom; 05-07-2012 at 06:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kelleil View Post
    I've got an 11x28 but thinking of an 11x32. Cuz I'm a newb.
    Check with a mechanic before you buy that - it may be too big for the derailleur to accommodate. If I'm remembering correctly that one generally requires a long cage derailleur to work properly.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

I have an 11X34 on my custom Guru. It works perfectly. She might have to get a different derailleur, but it's a good option when you have a compact and you need to be able to climb big hills.
    I have a 28 on my other bike, which is a triple (I've gone from a 25 to a 27, then 28) and the compact has lower gearing. It took a bit for me to get used to the jumps between gears, but now I like it. I don't use the lowest gears that often, mostly when I am very tired coming up my street/driveway after a long ride. But, I know I will be using them in the Berkshires, etc.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336445512.360946.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	14451

May I introduce you to Amy*

She's a 2012 Specialized Amira Apex comp!

*I name all my bikes after Doctor Who Companions.

2011 Redline 925

Very nice! Many happy miles!
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Congrats and can't wait to hear more about Amira "Amy"!

Thank you, you very supportive awesome ladies!

Any thoughts to this excruciating nerve pain in my left hand?

I had similar on my Redline and I still get it on long rides with Captain Jack (Harkness, not Sparrow) but its not as bad. We plan on raising the bars and tilting the seat up slightly. I saw these gore MTB gloves that claims to address nerve pain, and add gel pads under the tape.

AND THEN work on my abs.

That seems like a lot of work.

Also my hands swell during exercise.

2011 Redline 925

Get gloves in a bigger size. And , the padding/gel may be the culprit of your pain, along with gripping the bars too tightly, as well as position.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I'm sure I'm gripping to tight but I don't think it's everything.

2011 Redline 925