Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

7.6 FX vs Vita Pro vs Quick SL 2

To disable ads, please log-in.

Sure questions like these have been asked hundreds of times on this forum but I am going to buy my first bike that serves more of a purpose of biking into downtown.

I started running over a year or so ago, just ran my first half marathon and felt some pain in my knee towards my last month of training. I also, unless perfectly socked, crush and callus and blister my pinky toes. I want to get a bike that can intermix some cycling into my training so I am not always running to keep my fitness levels up for the random 5k/10k/or maybe even half marathon. I guess bike 40 miles on some training days (once I can get to this point ).

Also, I live about 8 miles from work and would like to use this bike at least once, hopefully more times a week to get there. (That's where the commuter part comes in)

There are three bike speciality stores in town and they carry brand specific. I went to the Trek store and they go up to a 7.3 or 7.2, They say the 7.6 will only get awesome-r... but that I'd have to be dedicated to order it (money-down), probably none around to test drive.

I am going to check out the other two stores to hopefully get a chance to ride the others.

Any advice? What do owners of the particular bikes love about their bike/make that choice/anything left to desire on your purchase?

Thanks in advance!

These bikes are basically flat bar road bikes. For example, the tires are skinnier on the FX 7.6 than on the 7.3. Instead of triple chain rings the Trek and the Specialized have compact doubles. The Cannondale has a triple. The geometry of these three bikes differ somewhat. So, you will have to see what feels better to you. Even if you cant try out the higher end bikes you can compare the geometry by trying out the lower end bikes.

I have a lower end Quick, from a different line, that has a triple chain ring with mountain gearing and bigger tires than a flat bar road bike. I also have a Trek Madone, a carbon road bike with drop bars. Each has their benefits. For commuting I would prefer the upright Quick. For riding long distances the drop bar, light weight, skinny tire bike is better. The Quick is better on very steep hills with its mountain gearing and triple chain ring. The Madone is fine on rolling hills but if I was biking where there were more extreme hills I would want some lower gearing.

People talk about the advantages of drop bars for the increased number of hand positions. They have something of a point and you can get more aerodynamic on the drop bars. You can also ride with your hands on the hoods or on the top, giving you alternative positions. That said, this arthritic woman finds flat bars more comfortable provided that I have ergonomic grips on them. Depending on how my arthritis goes I may end up with a flat bar road bike, like the Vita Limited (the carbon version of the Vita).

FWIW
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

The Trek 7.6 has a triple - at least the 2010 model did - I had one There are people totally sold on road drop bars, but I find flat bars with Ergon grips to be 'da bomb" - I can ride this all day long with no hand problems and I've arthritis in my hands (my longest ride so far as been 75 miles). Of course it matters that the bike is fit properly to you.

That being said, just as I can't ride road drop bars, there are some who cannot ride flat bars regardless of grips or how the bike is setup.

I can't speak about the other models, but the Trek is a nice flat-bar road bike and wouldn't be a bad choice if it fits you. You will want to see what model year it is since it sounds like newer versions are now compact doubles rather than a triple chain ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    The Trek 7.6 has a triple - at least the 2010 model did - I had one There are people totally sold on road drop bars, but I find flat bars with Ergon grips to be 'da bomb" - I can ride this all day long with no hand problems and I've arthritis in my hands (my longest ride so far as been 75 miles). Of course it matters that the bike is fit properly to you.

That being said, just as I can't ride road drop bars, there are some who cannot ride flat bars regardless of grips or how the bike is setup.

I can't speak about the other models, but the Trek is a nice flat-bar road bike and wouldn't be a bad choice if it fits you. You will want to see what model year it is since it sounds like newer versions are now compact doubles rather than a triple chain ring.
    They switched to a compact double--50/34, I don't know if it was 2012 or 2011.
    Last edited by goldfinch; 04-25-2012 at 08:58 AM.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

Quote Originally Posted by goldfinch View Post
    They switched to a compact double--50/34, I don't know if it was 2012 or 2011.
    Thanks, I knew they did from your post. Personally I will have triples as long as I can get my little hands on them - but compact doubles do have a lot of proponents as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Thanks, I knew they did from your post. Personally I will have triples as long as I can get my little hands on them - but compact doubles do have a lot of proponents as well.
    Yeah. I kind of want the Vita Limited, as it has a small size with shorter than par top tube and it is carbon, but I don't want another bike with a double.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    Terry Classic

Quote Originally Posted by goldfinch View Post
    Yeah. I kind of want the Vita Limited, as it has a small size with shorter than par top tube and it is carbon, but I don't want another bike with a double.
    Could you switch it out without too much expense/trouble? I assume a new derailleur would be required, but I don't know what else would need changing.

I appreciate you girls having this discussion because it's making me do my research! I am still very new to bikes! I went to check out the Vita and Quick 2 today. Because of the discussion you guys are having, I asked about compact double and triple. The 2011 Quick 2 had the triple chains. I guess not having known either, I'll learn for the first time whatever I happen to go on.

Unfortunately, at the Specialized shop, I must have gotten someone new who wasn't really aware of the competition as well as the Vita specs. There was no Vita Pro or Limited in the shop, which I'm not surprised because none of the shops have been carrying the higher end commuters. I asked him about how much would the Vita Limited weigh and he said 16-18lbs. Sounds like a road bike... as the Trek 7.6 FX was quoted at about 23. Don't see weight specs online. I think for starting if I was get a Vita, it would be the Pro. Or a Limited from previous years..if possible. $2100 is out of my price element. (~$1400 is tops).

Again I don't know how much this [weight] factors in, but I do live in Colorado and there are definitely roads that have some major hills (in fact my half marathon last weekend was 900+ feet elevation, I'd like to bike that as well!). My commute to work would be totally flat though.

There was one 2011 Quick 2 left in my size, and it's discounted to $750. I didn't plan on making a decision based on discount or not.
    Last edited by dodecahedron; 04-25-2012 at 05:02 PM.

Have you had a chance to ride any of the Vitas or the Quick yet?
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    Terry Classic

Unfortunately..no. I've gone straight from work because all the bike specialty stores close so early. I now know how much a waste of time it was because if I rode them all and liked the Quick 2, I would have had a bike to ride tonight already at a better price. One thing I didn't like about where the Quick 2 was sold, it wasn't lifetime free tune ups from the store like the rest have been. (3 free tune ups.) Tomorrow I'll bring a change of clothes/shoes and try to ride all three. I've sat on all of them but that just helped me determine a size.

Rode the 2010 Quick 2 today (was mistakenly told it was 2011 originally) - priced at $760. First time riding a bike that cost more than $180 bucks. I kept needing lessons to understand the gears and triple chain (again, things not seen on the 7 speed Schwinn I've been riding.) Rode it around and thought That's an awesome bike.

Went to the next store to try the Trek fx, again ran out of time to ride the Vita but thought tomorrow morning before work I'll ride the Vita and make my decision.

I already knew Trek FX 7.3 was the highest FX I could try there but I was told if I liked it, the FX 7.6 would just be that much better. 15 minutes later

Ordered a 2011 ($750) FX 7.5 WSD - the Trek just felt perfect. I'll just never test ride a Vita so I don't know what I'm missing.

FYI the 2011 Trek FX 7.5/7.6have the triple chain, going to 2012 these are the 2 FX bikes that have the compact double.

Congratulations on your choice, and some day you will get a chance to test the Vita just to see what it feels like I am glad you were able to get a triple on the FX, but I am biased in favor of a triple anyway.

The FX is a nice bike, I initially learned how to ride on a 7.6 in 2010 and while I sold it within about 6 months - it was because the bike was too large for me rather than there being any issues with the bike itself. Enjoy many rides and smiles with your new bike and post a picture of your lovely new bike!

Congratulations. The FX 7.5 is a great bike. Keep us up to date!
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    Terry Classic

Congratulations! Sound like you have a new hill climber!!! I also have a 7.5. I rode it right after test riding the Vita. It just felt right and I knew immediately it was the bike for me. I think the Vita is a great bike too.

I think it will serve you well for commuting to work and longer rides too. I've ridden many 30 - 50 milers and a 70+ on the FX. I did add bar-ends (quite cheap) to my handle bars and that gave me another hand position. You might wait and see if you need them. They are a quick add-on.

Happy riding and welcome aboard.
    2011 Specialized Ruby Comp
    2015 Giant Liv Tempt 3

Congratulations on the new bike! It sounds like you made the right decision.

I just bought a Quick 3. There weren't any Vita's in stock for me to try and the only FX in town was the base model from last year. It didn't feel good to me, but they wouldn't order a bike just for me to try. Anyway, I think you will have a blast on your Trek!